Bike Storage

J

Jester

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi all,

After transporting your bikes to your site and unloading, where do you keep them and how do you secure them.

Thanks in advance.

Will

We often left them on the bike rack (Atera DL3), sometimes with an additional chain/lock.
edd946a65f0792ee05fe193404931112.jpg

We often leave them just to keep them out of our way, not for security reasons.

Last edited:
We often left them on the bike rack (Atera DL3), sometimes with an additional chain/lock.
edd946a65f0792ee05fe193404931112.jpg

We often leave them just to keep them out of our way, not for security reasons.
I have a similar bike carrier ie Thule which are locked on will try it just nervous someone may steal them.

Thanks,

Will

If staying at a site for a few days I use a small tent as a garage. Lock the bike with a few bits and bobs.

Reactions: djc
All four bikes locked together and to a rear wheel with a long cable, or locked together and stowed inside the driveaway awning. The cable is also used to lock the bikes to the rack when in transit.

4 or 5 quality locks. Enough to be problematic, locked onto the towbar carrier with a heavy bike cover (out of sight out of mind).

Also I have a bike that served its time so if it was stolen I wouldn't be overly fussed (still a couple of grand though back in 2013) . My expensive MTB might be another matter.

Also I have a bike that served its time so if it was stolen I wouldn't be overly fussed (still a couple of grand though back in 2013).
My Thorn Raven Tour is 20 years old, and cost ~£1,500 in 1999. If it was stolen I'd feel like I had lost an arm. I have never yet taken it camping, for camping we take our Bromptons which fold below the roofline for transit.

4 or 5 quality locks.
I think we would have to specify where would we be camping. I agree that if you are parking up in a dodgy area 4 or 5 locks would be necessary as well as a cover. This approach would instead be a total overkill if you were to camp in a fenced camping with security checking who comes in and goes out. Since I have a small child I go to fenced camping sites, and use a cable with a combination lock ffor the convenience of not having to carry yet another key. Many of the locals weren't locking their bikes at all..

We also use the bike rack as a bike stand when on site. And a Kryptonite wire around the whole lot, and a tree, wheel, fence or whatever is handy to do.

I have 7 bikes (down from 9). 5 MTBs / one road / one cross.

Agree 4 or 5 locks are overkill. However, I have numerous locks built up over the years of bikes and motorbikes.

The MTBs are like police vehicles! Highly used and abused but well serviced. However, they become worthless over time.

... for camping we take our Bromptons which fold below the roofline for transit.
I'm considering a Brompton (or two) just for the Cali, expensive for just that purpose and not sure we'd use them much, but quality bikes. Would they fit below the rear parcel shelf on our Ocean (upright)? not sure if your Beach has the same shelf...

I'm considering a Brompton (or two) just for the Cali, expensive for just that purpose and not sure we'd use them much, but quality bikes. Would they fit below the rear parcel shelf on our Ocean (upright)? not sure if your Beach has the same shelf...
Hi we have 2 Bromptons and they do not stand upright or lay down under the rear parcel shelf on the Ocean.
We have them standing on top of the shelf most of the time or on the rear seat secured by seat belts or on the bike rack half folded to keep the height below 2 meters.

Bought a Beach and take pedals off and put them sideways under bench. Had bikes cut off previous van with 3 8k bikes on it. Van was left for 30 mins in clear view with rack locked to van, bikes locked to rack and 3 locks between rack, van and bikes. All cut with a Li-Ion angle grinder.

That's why we went for Brompton's as similar thing happened to us, bikes were attached to the car rack as you, park in full view of everyone on the road for 15mins:(.
Now we will remove the Brompton's from the rack (if on it) and store inside if not being used:cheers

These are great - a padlock with alarm (when selected) and a trembler all in one - will trigger the alarm when / if someone tampers with the lock - bit of peace of mind when parked up with or without bikes on the rack - http://targetlocks.co.uk/product/tl081/

We have one of these

Stores the bikes upright in the garage will go between the front and back seats, then keeps them upright at a campsite, and under the roll out awning if its raining.

We usually wrap a D lock and with a couple of steel cables aroung them both on the rack and on sites, enougth to deter an opportunist. Anyone equipped with tools and a van to put them in is going to steal then no matter how good the lock

They won't go below the Beach shelf upright, and the Beach shelf is higher than the Ocean shelf. I can get two below the Beach shelf on their sides, or one Brompton and one fridge.
IMG_2487.JPG

We leave them on the rack. Not sure it's visible on the picture but they are locked with 2m long rubber insulated chain.
But you do need 2 people to access the trunk in this case.

IMG_20190926_122037__01.jpg

This only helps if you have one Bike, but mine goes under the bed. Take the wheels off first and make sure doors are locked at night.

Love the Vulcan

Love the Vulcan
Who doesn't. I love that exhaust harmonic causing the vulcan howl. Also love how a thread can change for the better

Leave ours on the rack chained to it. locked onto the tow bar.

We tend to leave the Cali on site and use the road bikes for transport. If we go out in the van, we’ll leave the bikes locked to something secure at the campsite. We also have Bromptons which travel on the rear parcel shelf inside the van. They won’t both fit underneath the parcel shelf unless you slide the seat forward, which is what we do if we are locking and leaving the van with the Brommies on board. We don’t take our best carbon road bikes away with us. we will take the Alu winter bikes unless doing a sportive or audax, and sometimes even then.

Back