Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Birmingham NEC

I decided against going as soon as VW told me the 6.1 was not going to be there...lets see what Feb NEC one has...
I hear Vanworx has a new Crafter those looking at the Grand will want to check out!
Look up Lewis Von John on YouTube, he has it showing on 2 videos from yesterday and today! Looks awesome as well.

They are not for sale in Canada but transported overthere for some test days , @Kmann should now more about this as he was one of the lucky ones who could join....

It's a shame the T6.1 is not on display at your UK show , guess they are concentrating on the mainland first , delivery times wil be long also as they at least needed to stop the building proces for a while and need to get rid of the old stock first....
I've seen it at Dusseldorf show and there are some nice new features but nothing that important to make me change from my good old T5.
The way i see it , i will be holding on my T5 until i change to a whole new concept , probally not a California ....

Yes! Iben and I were so lucky to be invited on the press tour in Canada …

A very short but still wonderful trip thru the stunning nature in Nova Scotia! We are planning to sell the T6 and order a T6.1 as soon as the prices are known (and ordering is possible) in Denmark.

There are quite many changes to the T6.1, most already covered in videos and reports on the internet (LINK). And significant they are (kitchen design, bed lounge function, new rim styles, handles in cupboards, darker interior, new control unit, dashboard, etc.). But have been able to drive (700 km) and sleep in one (two nights), the biggest impression is in the overall handling and the driver's interface. The new steering is really fantastic. Combined with the new dashboard layout it gives an impression of a much more modern car - steering very precise without the old "van-wobble-feeling". Sidewind is not recognisable. And the new dashboard let you customize the layout almost to your preferred wish.

I must admit we were given a T6.1 with all bells and whistles.

KMN_0134_2.jpgKMN_0137_2.jpgKMN_0138_2.jpgKMN_0139_2.jpgKMN_0141_2.jpgKMN_0142_2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi. I went to the show yesterday and yes for me the Cali is still the one. However I did feel that the converters had stepped up their game in their offerings and closed the gap. The Cali on display sadly wasn’t the 6.1 and did look a little drab in comparison in my opinion. Also the standout for me was how many more transits are now being converted meaning some decent vans at competitive prices. The small camper market seems to be well on the march.

Finally the Ford Felt tip fairies have done a nice job of styling the Tranny. In Sport guise I think it looks great. A Cali quality camper could work.

Shame there is still no announcement from Ford regarding the Nugget in the UK

We spoke with the Ford guy on the stand yesterday. He said it was only a matter of time before the Nugget starts to appear on UK forcourts. He mentioned there was a couple of mods that needed to be made for the UK market, that they were only going to sell the pop top version and that only interested dealers would sell them as opposed to the Mercedes Marco Polo debacle. He also mentioned that they are considering loaning out trial Nuggets. Interestngly, prior to buying a Cali, I was interested in the Nugget after seeing a used one that Harbour Creek were selling. I contacted Ford directly only to be told they wouldn't be selling the Nugget in the UK, a few months later they've changed their minds.
Seems crazy to miss out on what I presume is a good market. Shame they won’t consider the hard top nugget plus.

We spoke with the Ford guy on the stand yesterday. He said it was only a matter of time before the Nugget starts to appear on UK forcourts. He mentioned there was a couple of mods that needed to be made for the UK market, that they were only going to sell the pop top version and that only interested dealers would sell them as opposed to the Mercedes Marco Polo debacle. He also mentioned that they are considering loaning out trial Nuggets. Interestngly, prior to buying a Cali, I was interested in the Nugget after seeing a used one that Harbour Creek were selling. I contacted Ford directly only to be told they wouldn't be selling the Nugget in the UK, a few months later they've changed their minds.
The Nugget appeared to be quite a popular van with families this year on the continent. Looks a decent product!

Ah yes, I forgot the Kepler is made by flurete in France. Considered a Kepler but no 6.1 availability for a while. California it is most likely. I know it’s expensive, but the 6.1 isn’t much more than the 6 was loaded

Shame there is still no announcement from Ford regarding the Nugget in the UK
It would be getting de-badged at our house ;)

And I don't mean the Ford, I've had a great White on a MK7 Transit, apart from the rust after three years on the wheel arches, a blown turbo and failed power steering pump it was great.

I decided against going as soon as VW told me the 6.1 was not going to be there...lets see what Feb NEC one has...
I hear Vanworx has a new Crafter those looking at the Grand will want to check out!

The Vanworx display vehicle was £95k...
Jesus wept, its very poor considering what the competition are offering, for a lot less money.

I was in Dusseldorf last month and looked at the Stylevan which is exactly the same as the Kepler 1 other than the materials used for the cabinets.

Some are really nice
My mates got a 1990 transit westfalia nugget and it’s still not worn out

The vanworx 4x4 is all bling and seemed setup for a very niche market. I asked about a 5 seat version :D , met with a flat no.
95k I mean did they just pluck that figure out of the air!

The vanworx 4x4 is all bling and seemed setup for a very niche market. I asked about a 5 seat version :D , met with a flat no.
95k I mean did they just pluck that figure out of the air!

I don’t think it even had a bathroom at £95k...?
Or did I miss it?

It would've been great to have been in the meeting when the name "Nugget" got the green light....

Me "....sorry did I hear that correctly, you're calling it what?"

Hi. I went to the show yesterday and yes for me the Cali is still the one. However I did feel that the converters had stepped up their game in their offerings and closed the gap. The Cali on display sadly wasn’t the 6.1 and did look a little drab in comparison in my opinion. Also the standout for me was how many more transits are now being converted meaning some decent vans at competitive prices. The small camper market seems to be well on the march.
I am always amazed at how many sales people don't actually sell the vehicles, there was no access to the super roof bed on the Cali or even encouragement to look. A prospective purchaser mentioned the sliding door on the wrong side compared to the conversions. I hoped for the salesman would show how easy it was to walk through to the passenger door but nah he just agreed with the punter.
I was surprised that the transverse bed in the 600 grand was actually fine for my 5'11" height but the rest of the van was just too cramped and basically antiseptic white.
I am always drawn to the MURVI stand, in this case the upgraded Ford Transit Pimento was brilliantly demonstrated by the salesman, I was tempted. The Mercedes stand did not have a Marco Polo camper on it just the beach equivalent, bizarre.

I’m not sure they use VW staff mostly at shows. I’ve always assumed it’s agency folks that get a quick briefing then put on a VW shirt.
Imagine the attention you would get looking at a £70k plus car! Seems to not apply with calis

I am always amazed at how many sales people don't actually sell the vehicles, there was no access to the super roof bed on the Cali or even encouragement to look. A prospective purchaser mentioned the sliding door on the wrong side compared to the conversions. I hoped for the salesman would show how easy it was to walk through to the passenger door but nah he just agreed with the punter.
I was surprised that the transverse bed in the 600 grand was actually fine for my 5'11" height but the rest of the van was just too cramped and basically antiseptic white.
I am always drawn to the MURVI stand, in this case the upgraded Ford Transit Pimento was brilliantly demonstrated by the salesman, I was tempted. The Mercedes stand did not have a Marco Polo camper on it just the beach equivalent, bizarre.
Probably couldn't find one without a pimply roof.

Went to show yesterday and surprised at the number of cali wannabes there. They are improving but still suffer with being based on low spec vans and fixed rear seats where your feet dangle. Yes there are some that dont but then they cost cali + money and have cali seats and runners.

Others have the bling and pretty good fit and finish but the cali is still the only one that looks like the factory product it is imo. So Cali still has it covered. The cali stand girl was trying to explain where the water tank is and a little unsure but she blagged it.

The thing that struck me generally was the GC doesnt have anything to commend it over the established competitors imo.
The number of ducato / crafter van/coachbuilt style conversions with what I consider poor layouts is amazing. Fixed raised bed in rear quite often with a chunk cut off. Miserable front seating area with totally vertical seat backs, do people cope with these ?
Why focus on a fixed bed when all you do is lay on it in the dark, might as well have the nice open rear lounge area with the small price to pay of making up a bed.
The really big whites are not much better with half the floor area allocated to a walk around bed and some tricky dining areas. The German conversions seem to have some of the worst layouts.
The smaller caravans on the other hand were well laid out.

So once Ive had my fill and the cali goes that will be it for me and back to cars and hotels.

Thought that the 6.1 was way beyond "prototype" stage or is it?

Can anyone confirm a positive sighting of the California T6.1 at the Birmingham NEC? I'm hearing that it's actually not going to make appearance after all and will just be the T6.
You are correct the new 6.1 was not at show
Just the grand California in two versions

One thing I would have liked to have been at the show is the Citroën HY campervan, that was knocking about on the web last year. Thought some importer would have had one as I think it looks quite good. Be good to see one in the flesh.
Anybody seen one?

Back