Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

NEC 2022 - worth going ?

Didn’t spot Jebra - from articles and videos they seem to have something close to Cali standards. We’ve friends with a professional conversion, and it works, they love it, travel loads in it, but - there’s always a but.

Didn’t spot Jebra - from articles and videos they seem to have something close to Cali standards. We’ve friends with a professional conversion, and it works, they love it, travel loads in it, but - there’s always a but.
Waiting time for Jerba vans is currently 22 months from point of order.

We were keen on the Adria twin, initially with the e-bed. Further investigation, it seems like a pointless gimmick? Great if you want bikes in the back etc and just crash when you’re done biking etc.

Most of the “next size up “ vans are the same configuration, bench seat/swivel front seats to create a dinner/living room.

I thought I could make this work but it seems not.
I think this setup will only give us a about two hours of crap-weather-comfort. After that, I’m looking to lie down/feet up/watch a movie/doze off.
This means a non permanent bed at the rear and bench seats.

There was an Adria model (how confusing is their range numbering?) that had the e-bed + rear bench seats but it seemed claustrophobic/pointless.

I think there was an option with rear bench seats + pop top which would work. No idea of the model designation?
Adria Twin GTXSportSLGBLGXDGHBFLGB probably!!!
We were looking at Adria for same reasons as you and drew the same conclusions.

The one with the bench under the electric bed looked the best option but you lost out on the table at the front but you can have talked in the back. Someone told us that is not available with a pop top as it's a supreme model rather than sports. Someone else told us it's not available in the UK!

The others I felt like once you were pitched with the bikes out that the space under the bed is a bit wasted.

Some of the front tables seemed more cramped than Cali table although as we are family of 3 we use downstairs in cali as a bed so for is we would have extra space.

The guy told us the SX version would be better for us but there wasn't one to see.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Our analysis of them all, Jebra included (differing opinions may apply!). There always seemed to be a compromise.

- None of the aftermarket pop top beds seemed as good, apart from Westfalia. Jebra used exposed slats and the Bilbos sleeping setup in the side pop up was terrible. As was space above the cooker. Some just had a thin mattresses onto wood.
- None of the bench drawers matches the original Cali for space and practicality, especially with the second drawer.
- None of the kitchens had as much room in the cupboards.
- None of the rear cupboards matched the Cali for access, space or practicality. Especially with the new doors.
- Rear space in a Cali is much more usable and practical, especially with the lifting bench and the sliding rock n roll.
- The materials used in all but Vanworx was baffling. Who wants a Cali interior that looks like a caravan? Most of them had not ended the bench drawer front without having it hanging over the step.
- I may be wrong but the Transporter base did not seem to have as good a basic satnav unit. Looked more “vanny”.
- Not one seemed to have a table setup as good. No tables in the door and no sliding table - I guess VW have a patent on both these. The Jebra clamp looked cheap and others just seem to have a table that could be setup with 4 legs that you could put inside if you wanted.
- We much prefer the top loading fridge and the soft close workstops - most we saw just slammed down.
- We find the two seats bolt upright like airplane seats with a table jamming you in a little bizarre. Was on 90% of the larger vans.

Things we did like:
- The LWB room in some setups was fabulous
- The Jebra, and others, long window setup across the back let loads more light in.
- Dropping and zip Jebra pop top would be great in summer
- Some conversions rear seats were much more comfortable and practical
- Some great 2 tone options (Banbury was a delicious green)
- Two three pin plug sockets please VW

Like I say - seeing all the conversions in the flesh was interesting and really helped us understand that the evolution of the Cali is no mistake and while not perfect for everyone, is spot on for 90% of needs. For us the trade offs with some of the conversions to get that extra 10% for specific things we liked but lose the rest was just not worth it, even to save 5k, or less in most cases.

Last edited:
Our analysis of them all, Jebra included (differing opinions may apply!). There always seemed to be a compromise.

- None of the aftermarket pop top beds seemed as good, apart from Westfalia. Jebra used exposed slats and the Bilbos sleeping setup in the side pop up was terrible. As was space above the cooker. Some just had a thin mattresses onto wood.
- None of the bench drawers matches the original Cali for space and practicality, especially with the second drawer.
- None of the rear cupboards matched the Cali for access, space or practicality. Especially with the new doors.
- Rear space in a Cali is much more usable and practical, especially with the lifting bench and the sliding rock n roll.
- The materials used in all but Vanworx was baffling. Who wants a Cali interior that looks like a caravan? Most of them had not ended the bench drawer front without having it hanging over the step.
- I may be wrong but the Transporter base did not seem to have as good a basic satnav unit. Looked more “vanny”.
- Not one seemed to have a table setup as good. No tables in the door and no sliding table - I guess VW have a patent on both these. The Jebra clamp looked cheap and others just seem to have a table that could be setup with 4 legs that you could put inside if you wanted.
- We much prefer the top loading fridge and the soft close workstops - most we saw just slammed down.
- We find the two seats bolt upright like airplane seats with a table jamming you in a little bizarre. Was on 90% of the larger vans.

Things we did like:
- The Jebra, and others, long window setup across the back let loads more light in.

Like I say - seeing all the conversions in the flesh was interesting and really helped us understand that the evolution of the Cali is no mistake and while not perfect for everyone, is spot on for 90% of needs. For us the trade offs with some of the conversions to get that extra 10% for specific things we liked but lose the rest was just not worth it, even to save 5k, or less in most cases.
Agree - good summary. The only van to beat the current Cali would be ….. a LWB Cali !!

Things we did like:

Just checking, you’re not including Westfalia in your list of “aftermarket converters” are you??
You do know Westfalia made all of the original Californias? It was only when Mercedes’ bought Westfalia that VW took the California in house. In doing so they threw away some of the good bits and decided they could do better!

Just checking, you’re not including Westfalia in your list of “aftermarket converters” are you??
You do know Westfalia made all of the original Californias? It was only when Mercedes’ bought Westfalia that VW took the California in house. In doing so they threw away some of the good bits and decided they could do better!
I was, because I would say technically they are, but yes I did know. Their expertise was clear on the Club Joker, but less so on the Ford conversion that was there although some of the Ford features, especially the kitchen cupboard on the end, were great. If I was ever going to live in a Cali 365, The Joker looked perfect, despite the blocked off boot and cheap table fitting.

Last edited:
Well that was an interesting trip. Makes me feel a bit better about the price I paid for my Cali 12 months ago. The conversion prices are incredible! As nice as they are, they just can’t compete with the Cali (imho) regarding quality of fittings and effectiveness/ease of use etc. The Ford Nugget looked interesting until you realise there’s not much storage. Same with the Club Joker - great for camping in but you’d need a trailer for all your bits.
It was interesting looking at the bigger (Adria Twin) type vans. We nearly bought one of those before going for the Cali, but hiring one for a week put us off - the size is a pain driving around uk roads/car parks etc. Even more of a pain, literally, was I kept banging my head when entering the cab area.
The show did give us an idea which would help with our plan of keeping the Cali for many years - rather than selling it and getting something bigger we have thought that towing a small caravan for some holidays could be an idea. One that I’ve never though about to be honest, but it seems quite appealing - once we’re at a site, use the caravan to live/sleep/eat/toilet in and the Cali becomes a great day van for exploring, with the option to stop out overnight in it if need be. Saves faffing with awnings and clearing everything up in the Cali just to nip out. Probably a mad idea but looking at the prices and what you can get in a small caravan, it equals and even beats what you get in one of the larger vans. No engine, tax, MOT etc to worry about either, just storage.
We would never have considered this but we had some spare time at the show so started looking at caravans just for fun…….

Things we did like:
- Two three pin plug sockets please VW

The Westfalia table does store in the sliding door and is able to slide when fitted, much like the California.

I disagree, plenty of storage just different to Cali. Three of us went to France and Switzerland with a kayak, bike, gas bbq, 3 chairs, table and pop up tent etc. No trailer required.View attachment 100940
Agree, having moved from a Cali to a Joker I would say that although there isn't the large boot there is just as much (maybe more) storage. All the bulky bedding is stored up top on the upper bed. With the built in loo and shower I no longer have to transport a bog in the boot. I removed the optional lower bed and gained loads of space, under and behind the bench seat.
Haven't loaded my Gumotex yet but the shower looks about the right size!

The Westfalia table does store in the sliding door and is able to slide when fitted, much like the California.
Cool - the Joker we saw had it in the boot, which I was not a fan of and the Ford Westfalia did not have a door one but did not get a good look at the VW versions.

The quality of fittings though and size of the cupboards was excellent though. Our main quandary, especially on a joker, is without a boot where does everything go, but sure there are solutions. Take less being one of them.

Have also since looked at their site after the show - TBH the only layouts I like the look of are the Jokers and the Keplers. I don't want/need to lose room for a perm toilet though and the Keplers, the six being my fave, are LHD only.

As mentioned, there is always a compromise it seems and for us the OEM is the least compromise.

Cool - the Joker we saw had it in the boot, which I was not a fan of and the Ford Westfalia did not have a door one but did not get a good look at the VW versions.

The quality of fittings though and size of the cupboards was excellent though. Our main quandary, especially on a joker, is without a boot where does everything go, but sure there are solutions. Take less being one of them.

Have also since looked at their site after the show - TBH the only layouts I like the look of are the Jokers and the Keplers. I don't want/need to lose room for a perm toilet though and the Keplers, the six being my fave, are LHD only.

As mentioned, there is always a compromise it seems and for us the OEM is the least compromise.
The table in the boot was probably the outdoor picnic table.

Well that was an interesting trip. Makes me feel a bit better about the price I paid for my Cali 12 months ago. The conversion prices are incredible! As nice as they are, they just can’t compete with the Cali (imho) regarding quality of fittings and effectiveness/ease of use etc. The Ford Nugget looked interesting until you realise there’s not much storage. Same with the Club Joker - great for camping in but you’d need a trailer for all your bits.
It was interesting looking at the bigger (Adria Twin) type vans. We nearly bought one of those before going for the Cali, but hiring one for a week put us off - the size is a pain driving around uk roads/car parks etc. Even more of a pain, literally, was I kept banging my head when entering the cab area.
The show did give us an idea which would help with our plan of keeping the Cali for many years - rather than selling it and getting something bigger we have thought that towing a small caravan for some holidays could be an idea. One that I’ve never though about to be honest, but it seems quite appealing - once we’re at a site, use the caravan to live/sleep/eat/toilet in and the Cali becomes a great day van for exploring, with the option to stop out overnight in it if need be. Saves faffing with awnings and clearing everything up in the Cali just to nip out. Probably a mad idea but looking at the prices and what you can get in a small caravan, it equals and even beats what you get in one of the larger vans. No engine, tax, MOT etc to worry about either, just storage.
We would never have considered this but we had some spare time at the show so started looking at caravans just for fun…….

We found all the bigger van conversions lounger area to be tight compared to a seat slid back California.
It’s definitely a bonus feature for the California and didn’t see a single T6 style van conversion to match what a Cali does.

With regards to caravan’s , I do get what your saying, it’s a tempting proposition.
The Barefoot mini caravan is surprisingly roomy for its size and the fixture quality is leagues ahead of anything. Some of the professional van converters could learn a few things from those guys…

I disagree, plenty of storage just different to Cali. Three of us went to France and Switzerland with a kayak, bike, gas bbq, 3 chairs, table and pop up tent etc. No trailer required.View attachment 100940

My wife loved the style of the Westfalia, she said it was the most appealing to her at the show, but wasn’t right for us at this stage of life with a little one.

Last edited:
My van loved the style of the Westfalia, she said it was the most appealing to her at the show, but wasn’t right for us at this stage of life with a little one.
i would say they are brilliant for a couple but the downstairs bed is not the best imo. Upstairs bed is extremely comfy and good size.

It’s definitely a bonus feature for the California and didn’t see a single T6 style van conversion to match what a Cali does.
I think this is because of the huge cost/engineering etc of certifying a crash tested rear bench seat. ?

The table in the boot was probably the outdoor picnic table.
Yep and that outdoor table hangs on the back where coats etc go. Chairs take up room though.
I didn’t spec the outdoor set.
Have two front runner chairs (hangs up in back wall), and zempire bamboo table folds down into a narrow bag and table has two height settings.
Just no big boot to dump big stuff or do them tip runs.
5.3m with two beds and a shower and loo you can’t have everything in a tiny van.

I think this is because of the huge cost/engineering etc of certifying a crash tested rear bench seat. ?
Have you seen abab YouTube on that eco van £130k cali rear seat and a lovely exposed carpeted wheel arch :thumb

Exactly that. We chatted to one guy and it was similar to when we were designing new cars at Nissan.

Each convertor is classed as a manufacturer and the base vehicle they make, including bench, has to be submitted for crash testing by the governing body. Because of this most of them only have the skills, chassis and cost base to have a fixed rear seat.

It is, I think, why so many of the 6M Fiat conversions use that awful two bolt upright airline seat configuration as the van comes already with them and the required certification for the convertor, saving them time and effort.

Last edited: