Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Detachable Tow bar on T6 what is the max kg load

Niborn

Niborn

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hiya everyone,
Just got a new Thurle storage box to go on my easy rack which fits on my tow bar, which is a detachable one, I think its actually made by westfalia and it was supplied with my VW T6 océan in 2017.
The weight I can put in the box depends on what total weight the tow bar can take.
I've tried to find out but so far no luck.
Does anyone know this please?
Many thanks

Hiya everyone,
Just got a new Thurle storage box to go on my easy rack which fits on my tow bar, which is a detachable one, I think its actually made by westfalia and it was supplied with my VW T6 océan in 2017.
The weight I can put in the box depends on what total weight the tow bar can take.
I've tried to find out but so far no luck.
Does anyone know this please?
Many thanks
All I can find is that VW state that the maximum vertical download is 100 kgm on the Westfalia OE detachable tow bar.
What will be more important is the maximum weight your Easy Rack can carry which is normally less.
Most towbar bicycle racks have a weight limit of about 60 kgm which when combined with the weight of the rack itself gives a total of 75 to 80 kgm.

The Westfalia Tow Bar can take a maximum unsupported load of 60kg.

The Westfalia Tow Bar can take a maximum unsupported load of 60kg.
Where is that mentioned please.
Because if that is the case virtually everyone using a Towbar bicycle rack for more than 1 bicycle is likely to be overloading it.
Most racks sold for the Transporter range fitted with the OE Westfalia Towbar have a carrying load capacity of 60 Kgms ( 3 adult sized bicycles ) + the weight of the rack itself of upto 20 Kgms giving a total of 80 Kgms.

All I can find is that VW state that the maximum vertical download is 100 kgm on the Westfalia OE detachable tow bar.
What will be more important is the maximum weight your Easy Rack can carry which is normally less.
Most towbar bicycle racks have a weight limit of about 60 kgm which when combined with the weight of the rack itself gives a total of 75 to 80 kgm.
Brilliant, thank you, then it's well within the limits. The rack I think is about 14kg, the box another 14kg so 30kg of stuff in the box seems OK.. Thats great because I'm off on another 6 weeks Northern Lights tour and this time its not only the dog coming with me but my wife, so I need this space.
Thank youIMG-20210919-WA0009.jpeg

Last edited:
Where is that mentioned please.
Because if that is the case virtually everyone using a Towbar bicycle rack for more than 1 bicycle is likely to be overloading it.
Most racks sold for the Transporter range fitted with the OE Westfalia Towbar have a carrying load capacity of 60 Kgms ( 3 adult sized bicycles ) + the weight of the rack itself of upto 20 Kgms giving a total of 80 Kgms.
I was told this by a fitter who had received this information from Westfalia.
In the thread linked below it was fact checked and VW agreed (well they said 65kgs max) post #22