Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

standard bike rack or tow bar rack

L

Loughlin

VIP Member
We have new california due in Febuary,I initialy went for tow bar fitted rack but changed to standard mainly for the great looks it gives to the overall package.My head says tow bar(no height problems,loading or parking,we have tow bar prep)but as my better half says the standard looks so california.We also have parking sensors ,any issues there?

Rear parking sensors are disabled when towing electrics are plugged in, so will not work when you use a towbar mounted bike rack, but work with VW tailgate rack. BUT do remember you have an extra two feet length.
Tailgate is heavy with bikes on it. Have to turn handlebars to open tailgate with roof up.

I have a Thule bike rack , that tilts down so you can open the back up, it was fitted to my Mazda bongo , I have ordered a Cali for march next year, bike rack fits any tow ball . So I had the same choice to make, only problem is you need somebody to hold tailgate up if you need to open it up. When bikes are loaded. So I went for a detachable towbar in the end,

I'm glad to hear the standard bike rack doesn't interfere with parking sensors as I've also got one on order. Can any users kindly tell how easy the rack is to take on and off? Also I have 2 folding bikes (Brompton) and not sure how much stowage space there is on board for on or both of these when folded down?

Cheers.

I think you have to remove bikes to get into the boot with the standard rack. That's one of the reasons we bought the towbar mounted rack that tips away from the van with the bikes still in place, giving us easy access to the boot without any removing of bikes or messing about.

Ijust bought a Thule HangOn rack that tilts - it was cheap and works well albeit a bit agricultural. You can drop the bikes onto the ground and get access to the boot which is pretty useful.

One benefit I see with the standard one is that when not in use it just flips forward and clicks in place. The towbar ones will need to be stored in the boot.
All assumption as our Cali will not be here until March.

NZCol said:
Ijust bought a Thule HangOn rack that tilts - it was cheap and works well albeit a bit agricultural. You can drop the bikes onto the ground and get access to the boot which is pretty useful.
Hmm interesting - I'd not come across that one before...it says that for 4x4 it only allows the boot to open 60% but how have you found it on the Cali - can you open your door fully?
Potentially might be better for us as we've got 2 adults and 3 kids and it looks like they have a 5 bike version which they don't for the other tilting ones (e.g. Thule/Volvo DL3 or the Atera Strada). As you say, it's a bit more basic, but essentially looks like it does the same thing...only thing is it doesn't support all the bikes from underneath and so I wonder how much strain it's putting on, and how well supported they'll feel...

For 5 bikes I doubt it would be a good idea and i would be surprised if the bar was rated enought for 5 bikes anyway ?

I have this http://www.thule.co.nz/details.php?p_id ... gOn_3B_972

The boot clears the lower tilt mechanism by about 5mm so it is very close but neither the bar or the boot door are going anyway so i just take it slowly. We use it for 2 light mountain bikes on the outer two holders and there is enough room to fully open the door once they are on the ground. I had the choice of $250 for this or $1500 for a tilting wheel support one so this won ! It's not ideal but it achieves what we need i.e. bikes are solid, gives us access to the boot and is cheap.

Bjohnson said:
I think you have to remove bikes to get into the boot with the standard rack. That's one of the reasons we bought the towbar mounted rack that tips away from the van with the bikes still in place, giving us easy access to the boot without any removing of bikes or messing about.

Hi, we have the vw bike rack and with the kids bikes on we do not have to remove them to open the back door, I looked at the struts and they are upprated, as I purchased it second hamd I don't know wether the previous owner upprated them or from the factory.

//Mart