Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Blue motion vs not blue motion

C

crta123

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
Dear all
We are on the edge of purchasing our first Cali. One we are looking at has blue motion and one just missed it as ex demo, but has extras and cruise control. Both SEs.

Any views on whether BlueMotion is worth the extra?
Thanks

The start stop system I quite like, living in traffic-jammed London. But more important in my mind is that the most recently built vehicles are supposed to have a different roof treatment which means they might not rot!

Unless you expect to benefit for the start-stop technology in improved mpg I would give Bluemotion a miss. Come battery and alternator replacement some time down the line you will be faced with bigger bills (confirmed by older VW Bluemotion car owners that are 4 yrs+).

This assumes you don’t plan to swap your Cali regularly for a new one before the battery etc needs replacing

After having a Alfa Romeo with stop-start (well stop-stop really), I wouldn't bother.

Andy

slowcoach65 said:
After having a Alfa Romeo with stop-start (well stop-stop really), I wouldn't bother.

Andy
Many Italian cars have had stop-stop-rust technology for the past 30 years !

I switched the stop/start system off on my mini cooper, just couldn`t get on with it and yet another thing I had to remember.

If it is obvious that there is going to be a lengthy delay, I switch off anyway.

Can`t comment on the possible wear and tear to battery etc. but think it likely to be significant.

You pays your money and you makes your choice - for me, I would give a miss but good luck whichever you decide to go.

Bob

We bought a pre blue motion demonstrator, with cruise now way would we have paid the extra for just stop start. Think blue motion gets regenerative power when braking as well but ours is a 4 motion so not applicable.

The Start Stop feature is just one of a number of feautites which come under the bluemotion umbrella.

You can just turn it off. I suspect other things will become standard.

I don't use the start stop that much, I am not convinced it makes a great deal of difference to mpg. As for wear and tear, well, lets wait and see. In terms of when it is active it is pretty fussy, it's not active the moment you turn the key.

James

Apparently this bluemotion thing has mostly been created to pass some ecological standards, not really to improve anything about the engine...

Another unexpected benefit of stop/start: Stalled it the other day, pressed in the clutch and it restarted!

NickE said:
Another unexpected benefit of stop/start: Stalled it the other day, pressed in the clutch and it restarted!
:lol:

Had our new Cali for about three weeks. It came with Blue Motion--there was no choice. This is because if you live/visit Germany the law says you must switch off your engine when waiting at level crossings etc, to save fuel and cut pollution--that's why it was developed. I have used it but can forsee problems arising with starter motors etc, so I switch it off each time I drive.
Like everything else it's something new to get used to---you either like it or not.
Useful in traffic jams--not that we have many/any where I live.

We had this on our Audi A4 allroad and sorry to say hated it ...:-( .... Audi said they couldn't find an issue ,but stalling on junctions ,due to it turning off and not back on quick enough etc wasn't good for us and hated the new style keys to try and start it up while stuck on a roundabout ... Lol

I have got it on my newly ordered cali and my wife has had it on her Mini's for some time.

It does what it says on the tin but does take getting used to. It was designed to meet emmissions and improve mpg.

I dont have the figures to compare mpg but that is the driver. It might be argued as it becomes more common (LR4. LR3 etc all have it and most new car brands) that re-sale could be improved with it; never seen any issue with increased bills on the mini side.

The only extra beyond cruise and stop start is regenerative braking (charges the alternator) and low rolling resistance tyres (probably a dubious feature).

So... I was happy to have it would depend on the cost saving on new.....

The regenerative braking i like the idea of and as on the beach if you have the option of turning the stop/start off could be better ,but the low friction tyres can be a wet weather hazard ,as some makes seem to be very low friction and become dangerous....Good idea if you live in a very dry country ... ;)

bjw970s said:
I have got it on my newly ordered cali and my wife has had it on her Mini's for some time.

It does what it says on the tin but does take getting used to. It was designed to meet emmissions and improve mpg.

I dont have the figures to compare mpg but that is the driver. It might be argued as it becomes more common (LR4. LR3 etc all have it and most new car brands) that re-sale could be improved with it; never seen any issue with increased bills on the mini side.

The only extra beyond cruise and stop start is regenerative braking (charges the alternator) and low rolling resistance tyres (probably a dubious feature).

So... I was happy to have it would depend on the cost saving on new.....
Suggest you check the cost of a new battery. They were over double the equivalent non blue motions for vw polo's

I just turn it off or not use it if I don't want to. Also it does t always work, it depends on a number of things, so it's not on all the time.

Lots of negativity and opinion about Bluemotion. Just another new tech thing on a vehicle that causes mistrust :).

With all change comes loss ...

James

Suggest you check the cost of a new battery. They were over double the equivalent non blue motions for vw polo's[/quote]

Any new tech will come with a price both good and bad. I deliberately chose a base TD5 Disco 2 to get coilsprung rears but am now v happy with air sprung D3 which has developed to a stage where it is affordable to maintain.

Most veh manufacturers are using blue motion tech - it is here to stay.