Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

My California Ocean

Hello I have just been on gmp italia web site to buy the wheels and it says won't fit transporter on web site

They fit with no issues. 20"x9J. Correct OCD and 45ET. They do a high load version. The wheel is called F1.

PCD. Not OCD. That was my silly iPhone smell chequer.

View attachment 16736 Onyx white was our choice and some small additions to personalise it. Gloss black B post wrap, chrome insert to the lower front bumper and gloss black 20" wheels with diamond turned rim edges and spokes from GMP Italia. Lowered 30mm on VW lowering kit from dealer.

No awning to keep the clean look. We only fit a awning on the odd occasion so a separate one from Eurotrail with an extra side is great when you need it and only £140.00 including the side. This is a lot cheaper than the built in one most people buy.

In response to the mattress topper question we also decided to see how we got on camping without one first to reduce costs. We have done many sleeps straight on the seats but felt we needed something. We have just had our first night using a £30.00 topper we got from B&M bargains. It was great. Why don't you try a cheap one first and then if you really feel the need to spend £300.00 later then at least you've tried the cheap option first. We are happy with our £30.00 topper. It's 2" thick but made a lot of difference!

Another example of a good cost save is to not buy the shower from VW which is hundreds of pounds and just spend £30.00 on a shower attachment that fits on the tap. We only use the shower to wash sand off the kids feet before they get back in the van after being on the beach. And the attachment reaches out the passenger door perfectly. A lot cheaper.

Either way the standard California is amazing and there are lots of things you can get if you need them after you've had it for a few sleeps.
Where you get your b-pillar wrapped?
Looks good. How much was it?

Hi. B pillar wrap bought from eBay. But actually available on the California club shop. Quite easy to do but you need a dry, warm wind free day. I masking taped mine in place and levelled them up before removing the backing. It's so tricky to ensure when you start to stick them down the edges overlap correctly. I went for gloss black. The gloss matches the glass better even though other details of my van are satin black. I certainly would go gloss black. IMG_3173.jpg

Hi. B pillar wrap bought from eBay. But actually available on the California club shop. Quite easy to do but you need a dry, warm wind free day. I masking taped mine in place and levelled them up before removing the backing. It's so tricky to ensure when you start to stick them down the edges overlap correctly. I went for gloss black. The gloss matches the glass better even though other details of my van are satin black. I certainly would go gloss black. View attachment 16744
Thanks for that. Looks really good. Better than I thought that kit would produce.
Might be brave enough to try it then!

It's only £25 and worth a try like you say. If you take your time and gently apply it you should be ok. The only thing to watch is that there is not much overlap on the edge so if you don't get it exactly right the black might not cover all the paintwork up to the seals. Another tip when doing the front doors is to gently remove the seals so you can get the wrap right in nicely.

It's only £25 and worth a try like you say. If you take your time and gently apply it you should be ok. The only thing to watch is that there is not much overlap on the edge so if you don't get it exactly right the black might not cover all the paintwork up to the seals. Another tip when doing the front doors is to gently remove the seals so you can get the wrap right in nicely.
Thanks for the advice. Will give it a go.

One last question, does the same zonesleep that fits downstairs fit the upstairs too?
I checked this morning - it fits fine upstairs too. There is just a very small gap on one corner where it is shaped to fit the lower bed - but I really don't think it would make any difference to the comfort.

Thanks for checking Black Sheep. I thinks its worth trying Days outs suggestion of using a cheap topper from B&M but if as I suspect, my wife wants the quality one I now know the Zonesleep will do up and downstairs. So the club websites topper has been espevially made for these vans. I guess that's why its more expensive than the standard one.

IMG_3045.JPG Correct. It's a plate I had made for fun. In the hope that "1 Day" I would have a California to fit it to! My real plate is underneath and it's no way as cool :-(.

IMG_1881.JPG Yes. I doubt if I will ever own that plate!!!

Back to the mattress topper discussion I meant to add that the big advantage of the B&M Topper I bought for £30.00 is that it compresses into a smallish zipper bag we have and this fits into our wardrobe as well as the sheets and 6x pillows. We decided not to use the wardrobe for clothes as it's fiddly to get to stuff in there - we keep our clothes in zippy bags in the boot. So we just ram the pillows etc in there and we find it's easy to get them in and out when the lower bed is flat.

We bought a double bed topper and it fits well with just a tiny overlap at the sides that we tuck around the seats edges. Then a fitted sheet for keeping it all tucked in.

We had our first night on this last night and it worked a treat. That and having the parcel shelf part of the lower bed at an angle made it super comfy.

I'm not sure how big these toppers are that cost £300.00. Do they compress as much and if so why are they so pricey?

IMG_3144.JPG

We leave the parcel shelf on the high setting at the rear and the low one at the front so the bed gas an angle to make sleeping more comfy.

Well after following this forum for several months, and hiring a California 3 times over the summer, once to France, we have taken the plunge. I have read with interest the debates about 2WD vs 4 Motion, non swivelling seats, Dsg Vs Manual, etc etc. All useful inputs to my final option decisions.
Whilst I am not convinced on 4WD. Will I ever need it? I have never got stuck in my car on campsites! Plus the hit on MPG and maybe a premium on road tax are both detractors. However I am the sort of person who would be always thinking I'd wish I had it. Grass is always greener ( and possibly slipperier) on the other side and buying new means I have the luxury (albeit at a premium) of choosing what I want. Had it been a pre owned or a ex demo then you have to accept whats in it or wait for another.
Anyway I have opted for a 204 DSG 4 Motion in Oryx White.
Quite a long list of extras
My extras.
LED lights. Very expensive for what it is but I like the idea of not having to cover the lenses when going abroad and we intend to do this a lot. Plus they look very cool (my son says).
Side scan (particularly for when we are in Europe) as pulled out on a car in blind spot on french motorway this year and would have avoided situation with side scan
Lights and vision. all vehicles should have this as standard.
MFD just another bit of colour in dash.
Sat Nav plus all the techy goodies that come with it.
Chrome package. as I want the black B pillars.
Front and rear PS with camera.
Black 17" Cascavels. I like the bounciness of the ride and I like to carry a real spare tyre especially when holidaying in Europe.
Green Privacy glass.
High beam assist. another labour saving gadget.
Adaptive Cruise. A must
Bigger fuel tank. 60 more miles range, could be useful when French garages are closed due to fuel blockades.
Security box. Went for this as somewhere more secure to store travel docs, money, ipads and stuff when on holiday, particularly abroad.
Matress and other small items

My wifes extensive extras list
Storage net. Really for the extra under seat drawer.
Magnetic torch. cuz i never put the loose torch back in the same place. £60 is a small price to pay for one less nag!

We have now started building a list of must haves. I think I have all I want but my wife is keen to get something more comfortable for upstairs. we both had back aches this year sleeping upstairs. We dont like the concept of Duvalay hybrid sleeping bag/mattress and we definitely want to persevere with duvets as opposed to sleeping bags as we consider sleeping bags more tenting and we think we have moved on from that. i welcome suggestions and ideas.

The one thing I am still struggling with is my colour choice. Whilst white is trendy at the moment, can be seen better than darker colours, repels heat in hot climates and is more fun, I am still wondering whether Indium Grey is the sensible choice. It looks more prestige, and a big one for me is that grey is not the same colour as white van mans vehicle.

I would welcome members with white or grey Californias to comment on their experience of the two colours.

Roll on next March.
Congratulations! We are still at the renting stage. It's on the drive now ready for the first night away in the New Forest tomorrow before returning home to pick all the things we did not think about before heading up north for 5-6 days. Now we need a site in the NF with clean showers etc. All new to us this..
Bet you can hardly wait... good luck with your cali-career!