Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

BlueMotion Stop/Start and Climatronic Air Con.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
During my travelling yesterday I couldn't work out why the Stop/Start never cut in.
So last night per used the Handbook and eventually found why.
Did you know if you have Climatronic Air Con and the temperature is set below 22c, then the Stop/Start function is automatically disabled. I suppose it's to stop the automatic speed up of the fan and subsequent battery drain when engine off.

You learn something new every day.:bananadance

That's odd,

I had mine set to 19c and the stop start was cutting in :D

Have no start-stop but new that....from testdriving in a Volvo some time ago....;)

Last edited:
Page 283 in the Handbook. Actually is says " on vehicles with Climatronic. The temperature is set to around 22c." So I suppose it depends on what they mean by "around". Something to play with tomorrow.

I always have it set to 21, the stop start always seems to kick in ok. I noticed that the air con knocks off when "stopped" at lights.

I think the air-con is just one of those things that you need to chill out on ....

:eek:

ok, ok ..... I'll get my coat...:(

Maybe it depends on the battery consumption or some more complex logic. This weekend, for sometime, my Cali never cut and I thougth it was because the fridge... but not sure. After a while it started working. My Cali got service temperature and the air con was set to 22.

These are the criteria for stop/start:-

1. If there is a small gap in the traffic and you need to nip out smartish, it is rapidly enabled.
2. If you roll up at a contraflow and the lights have just turned red, it is automatically disabled.

:D

Only had our Cali for a few weeks. However I noticed stop-start wasn't active after a few miles of city rush hour traffic. I put it down to the battery reaching a threshold where it needs to recharge. An hour later down the M5 and all was back to normal.

There are quite a few criteria for Stop/Start to be enabled, battery charge, ambient temperature etc as well as Air Con settings.

Checked to day. 22c, worked every time, 21c worked every time, 20c worked sometimes. When it didn't ambient outside temperature was 16.5c and it was sunny.
I think if the air con is cooling then Stop/Start is disabled so that air con continues. If it is just warming then Stop/Start is allowed as you have residual engine heat.
I could just be talking a load of rubbish, but it sounds good.

Start/stop or stop/start? Had an interesting situation yesterday when the start/stop cut in after being parked up for five hours on the clifftop carpark at Woolacombe. After pulling away with a cold engine the start/stop A came up in the MFD just as I went into third gear. The engine cut out and so did the power steering! it happened a few months ago near the Lizard, when approaching a roundabout went from third to second and the start/stop cut in again, I managed to coast around the mini roundabout again with no steering and a car on my bumper! Anyone else had any similar experiences? Off to the dealer today.

Hi all noticed your questions regarding start/stop it varys pending auto / manual transmission
on a auto stationary with your foot on the brake it should work
manual normally stationary in neutral foot on the brake pedal ..

Hi all noticed your questions regarding start/stop it varys pending auto / manual transmission
on a auto stationary with your foot on the brake it should work
manual normally stationary in neutral foot on the brake pedal ..
Yes, but it also can be inhibited by the Climatronic temperature setting and the ambient air temperature.
When Stop/Start operates the AirCon compressor stops with the engine BUT if AirCon is required because of the Climatronic temperature setting then Stop/Start does not work so the engine and AirCon compressor keeps working.

what on earth does all that mean?

I have a Cali. I get in it and switch on the engine and go.

Does this mean that if I stop something else goes until I go in which case it stops?:shocked

Checked to day. 22c, worked every time, 21c worked every time, 20c worked sometimes. When it didn't ambient outside temperature was 16.5c and it was sunny.
I think if the air con is cooling then Stop/Start is disabled so that air con continues. If it is just warming then Stop/Start is allowed as you have residual engine heat.
I could just be talking a load of rubbish, but it sounds good.
Very interesting.

Ours has a mind of its own - some journeys it works, others it doesn't. I think battery condition may be the factor that effects it most on ours, as it seems to work a lot better after a plug in or long journey.

As I am rookie still, I have note manager to figure out quite how it works. But for sure start/stop does not work before the engine reach a given working temperature. And it sems that the Climatronic (if one has one) can overrule the S/S funktion. So far so good. Those Battery-issues … Im happy unaware yet ;-)

My T6 DSG engine doesn't always stop when I put my foot on the brake. Sometimes it does and sometimes not. Any idea why this would be?

Hi Eddie,

There are many threads on this subject and I have merged yours with another which may give you the answer.

There are many reasons why stop/start may temporarily be disabled, they range from battery charge to other systems running, such as the one described here where the climatronic function can disable it in certain circumstances.

Check also that you have not inadvertently disabled it yourself by pressing the disable button.

If you have a fully charged battery and no systems producing a heavy drain on the battery then you may want your dealer to investigate.

Back