Boot Light - on 2014 SE

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
There have been a number of posts advocating removing the bulb of the Boot light as it stays ON if the tailgate is left open.

Well, I spent some time this afternoon testing it on my 2014 SE.

1. It does NOT come on with the Cab lights, whether they are switched on Manually or by unlocking the Vehicle.

2. The Boot Light ONLY comes on when the tailgate is opened and goes off when the tailgate is closed.

3. MOST IMPORTANT - If the tailgate is left OPEN then the Boot Light Turns Off automatically after 10 minutes. Nothing switches it back on except Opening & Closing the Tailgate.

This is on my vehicle. Could be different on yours.

I took the bulb out of mine long ago. I didn't know it goes out after ten minutes. But I have to say I've never missed not having it.

Very informative, thank you, I nearly removed the bulb last night but didn't want to force the cover open. I will probably leave it in now as the automatic turn off will, obviously, save any battery drain. When the rain stops I expect I will test my 2011 with a stop watch to confirm it is working.... :)

As it was me one of those saying to take the bulb out , i did not not know it went out by itself afther 10min.
I looked at it when i turned off the other interieur lights and it stayed on so i was fixing on that.
But even then i think it is better to take the bulb out .
Imagine you are on site without hook-up for a few days , how many times you open your tailgate ...a lot ....and somtimes stays open also .
That light gives almost no noticeble light so useless imo.

Good to know from @WelshGas it only stays on 10min :thumb

Now each can discide what to do...

I found it useful when filling the water tank up. Light shines through the tank and helps see the water level rising.

I found it useful when filling the water tank up. Light shines through the tank and helps see the water level rising.
Agree and it helps being able to see when turning the gas on during the darker nights.

I am not certain which battery the boot light is powered from. However, if it is the leisure batteries it will take days to drain 2 large batteries connected in parallel.

Staying on could be more of a problem if it is supplied by the engine battery though.

Alan

As it turns off after 10 mins it would take a lot of opening and closing the boot to use much charge.

Sounds like an ideal candidate for being upgraded to a LED then? More light less power, what's not to like?

If taking the bulb out or replacing it you don't have to force the unit to get it out. There is a spring clip which needs pushing back on the right hand side, access through the battery cover. The unit then just pushes out from behind.
Incidently, ours doesn't turn off after ten minutes so bulb out.

Mine definitely goes out after about 10 mins. I sat sitting to check this and was surprised how long 10 mins. is when being timed! Should have put the kettle on to watch that too......

Back