Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Luggage compartment/boot light not working

Done, top tip thanks. VW SMG Cowfold is literally up the road from us so that's servicing sorted with a discount! (maybe they can also fix the reluctant door microswitch if I get fed up...)

Let me look at the diagrams. The microswitch as you have found probably just triggers the powerlatch I expect there is another in the powerlatch to say its closed..
edit. no, both microswitchs are in that one unit, one tells the powerlatch to “pull” the other is for the light.
both switches use the same common ground so grounding the wire for the light should bring it on.
4052F7A3-6E61-4E82-B4BD-8837C8C91054.jpeg
brown with black tracer is the light, white is the ground wire on the connector (which joins a brown earth cable on the van side)

Last edited:
Loz, many thanks. I will try earthing out the brown/black to see if that brings the light on. Any ideas where the various "coupling stations" are (D-pillar, A-pillar) and how to access them? And also where the BCU / J519 is?

Loz, many thanks. I will try earthing out the brown/black to see if that brings the light on. Any ideas where the various "coupling stations" are (D-pillar, A-pillar) and how to access them? And also where the BCU / J519 is?
I can dig out the drawing for the connections and the BCU is below and to the right of the steering wheel.

Boot light stopped working on my van. The diode was the problem. It had gone open circuit. It's a very easy job to solder in a replacement diode. A diode capable of taking 1 amp is okay.

Boot light stopped working on my van. The diode was the problem. It had gone open circuit. It's a very easy job to solder in a replacement diode. A diode capable of taking 1 amp is okay.
Hi Brian, where is the diode?