Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Boot light stayed on last night with open tailgate.

acer

acer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We’ve been leaving our tailgate open due to hot weather. After a few minutes the boot light has been going off okay. However, last night it stayed on. I woke up neighbouring campers by opening and closing sliding and front doors to make sure that they were closed correctly but that had no effect. We had to just close the back door to avoid draining the battery.

Can I switch this light off on a T5?
Would it drain my starter battery anyway?

Grateful for any tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’ve been leaving our tailgate open due to hot weather. After a few minutes the boot light has been going off okay. However, last night it stayed on. I woke up neighbouring campers by opening and closing sliding and front doors to make sure that they were closed correctly but that had no effect. We had to just close the back door to avoid draining the battery.

Can I switch this light off on a T5?
Would it drain my starter battery anyway?

Grateful for any tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I found that mine used to sometimes stay on, so I took the bulb out. The boot area is normally so packed with gear that the light is ineffective anyway. If left on long enough it would drain the battery.

That bulb been removed since long , useless light anyway.
Some say it goes off after a certain time , some have diffrent views (like you now have...)

On my T6 Beach I don't even have a boot light, except the manually operated ones.

If you don’t want take the bulb out just push the latch over on the tailgate with your key or a screwdriver. You can release it in the normal way by pulling the tailgate release handle.

The light only usually stays on if something is active in the cab area, glove box open, radio on, something plugged in etc. I even think opening one of the front doors brings it back on.Other than that they should go off after 10 minutes

i replaced the standard bulb with an led which is much brighter and so useful unless the boot is fully packed. the led light goes out after about 10 mins but because it is led it does not fully turn off. the reason being is that led are so efficient they will glow with just the residual current in the power supply. this is such a small draw it will not flatten the battery.

Seems it was just “one of those things”. Has been fine the past few nights. LED seems a good option though. Thanks all.

Back