Bottom Bed Mattress

Which mattress for downstairs bed

• Total voters
JuanVecino2023

JuanVecino2023

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Looking at alternatives to the VW comfort mattress.

I’ve narrowed it down to three options (open to others if they are winners), as folllow:

Sea to Summit Deluxe self inflating (guess there’s a reason they sell out!)

Calibed Prestige III (currently my front runner as most direct swap as it folds on to the parcel shelf, no bags or deflating etc)

Outdoor Revolution Camp Star Rock 'N' Roll 120 Self Inflating Mat

I’ve narrowed it down to three options (open to others if they are winners), as folllow:

Calibed Prestige III (currently my front runner as most direct swap as it folds on to the parcel shelf, no bags or deflating etc)

None of those, the Brandrup ixtend gets my vote, had one for 9 years now & kept in in lieu of the VW "comfort" mattress

We use a Simba mattress topper. There’s a 200 day trial and it rolls up on the rear shelf when not in use. Very good.

Talking of downstairs bed… we’ve ordered our van without the expensive ‘comfort mattress’ option. I’m getting the impression we can’t just throw an aftermarket mattress or topper over the seats to make up the downstairs bed because of the difference in height at the rear? Or are there common solutions to those owners that don’t have the ‘bed extension’?

Talking of downstairs bed… we’ve ordered our van without the expensive ‘comfort mattress’ option. I’m getting the impression we can’t just throw an aftermarket mattress or topper over the seats to make up the downstairs bed because of the difference in height at the rear? Or are there common solutions to those owners that don’t have the ‘bed extension’?
You will have the bed extension, the only thing you won't get is the 3 way folding flat mattress that covers the whole of the folded down seat & the bed extension. You will get the small mattress that only covers the bed extension, that mattress levels up the rear extension with the folded seat so all you are going to need is a flat mattress.

I considered the S2S, but reports of microleaks and examining the single edge seam design put me off going that route as it would encourage further leaks. Yes they have a lifetime warranty (while still manufactured) but who wants to deal with that if it deflates on vacation. The pfaff of deflating and rolling was another negative. But they are comfy. I went for a barely used Calibed Prestige III for 50% off retail and now get a perfect, painfree nights sleep.

Have you tried the comfort mattress or just going by comments on here?
If you like a really firm mattress it may work for you. As someone who finds the T6 comfort mattress just right, I didn’t get on with the T6.1 version.

A few points to consider…
Do you want to be inflating a mattress every night and then putting on bed sheets? With a folding mattress that sits on the rear bench, it is really quick to make the bed, especially if the bed sheets are already attached.
How much space do you want a mattress to take up when not in use? The plus point of the VW comfort one is that it’s a low profile so you can easily store your bedding and pillows on top without obscuring your rear view when driving.

You will have the bed extension, the only thing you won't get is the 3 way folding flat mattress that covers the whole of the folded down seat & the bed extension. You will get the small mattress that only covers the bed extension, that mattress levels up the rear extension with the folded seat so all you are going to need is a flat mattress.
Brilliant, thanks!

Have you tried the comfort mattress or just going by comments on here?
If you like a really firm mattress it may work for you. As someone who finds the T6 comfort mattress just right, I didn’t get on with the T6.1 version.

A few points to consider…
Do you want to be inflating a mattress every night and then putting on bed sheets? With a folding mattress that sits on the rear bench, it is really quick to make the bed, especially if the bed sheets are already attached.
How much space do you want a mattress to take up when not in use? The plus point of the VW comfort one is that it’s a low profile so you can easily store your bedding and pillows on top without obscuring your rear view when driving.
Hi

I've rented a California with the comfort mattress for 4 nights. I do like a firm mattress, but this was perhaps too firm.

We also rented a conversion with a mattress topper. It was comfortable, but an absolute pain to wrestle into a bag each day.

It's why I am leaning toward the Calibed Prestige III, it folds up on the rear shelf just like the VW version. Albeit takes a bit more space.

In truth, the idea of inflating and deflating each night feels a touch painful.

T6 rear extension can be adjusted between low (big step up to the rest of the bed height) or high (bigger boot space) and nearly at same height as the rest of the bed - I use the little iXtend pad that fills this small height gap in - Branderup all day long

Hi

I've rented a California with the comfort mattress for 4 nights. I do like a firm mattress, but this was perhaps too firm.

We also rented a conversion with a mattress topper. It was comfortable, but an absolute pain to wrestle into a bag each day.

It's why I am leaning toward the Calibed Prestige III, it folds up on the rear shelf just like the VW version. Albeit takes a bit more space.

In truth, the idea of inflating and deflating each night feels a touch painful.
I’ve got the comfort mattress with the comfortz memory foam topper.

No complaints, as comfy as home.

Upstairs is a different matter…….

We use a Simba mattress topper. There’s a 200 day trial and it rolls up on the rear shelf when not in use. Very good.

This looks really good. I think that the width of the downstairs cali bed is 114 cm. What size Simba mattress do you use? I assume you have a double at 120 cm wide. Do you manage to squish it in okay? What do you do about the cut out at the back? Again, do you just squish it in?

Does look good
Do you use it straight on the seats or with something else?

We went for the 120cm wide and it both fits and rolls out okay. As you rightly point out it doesn't allow for the cut out at the back so we used it with the corner bit sticking up ( we have our heads/pillows at that end so it wasn’t a problem). Now that our 200 day no quibble return period has expired I’ve cut it to shape around the rear. We have tried a few mattresses and this suits us. We use it directly on the seats having tried it with the comfort mattress.

Back