Box and solar …

Kmann

Kmann

Iben & Henrik
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
In order to keep on surfing, I need a bog box on the roof for the stuff.

I will get a Thule Motion XXL with the lowest Thule Wing bars (753) … buuuut I also would love to fit the solar from Roger. Did anyone actually fit both on top? Or is it undoable?

I even thought about fitting the solar on the box, but … well, is not ideal.

All help is welcome ;-)

How big is the box ? Will the solar panel fit behind the box ? Can't remember panel width, but 2 take up 2/3 of the roof space.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Its 235 x 94 x 47 cm … quite big. Maybe I could go wit the XL, that is 205 x 84 x 45 cm. I was a little concerned about the solarpanel behind, when I open the back with bikes on the rack …

Bikes on tailgate may hit roof when open. Need to rotate ha.dlebars on bike nearest to van. Solar panel on Rogers frame will probably not fit with either box. Roof track ends are about 14 inches from end of lifting roof.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

In order to keep on surfing, I need a bog box on the roof for the stuff.

I will get a Thule Motion XXL with the lowest Thule Wing bars (753) … buuuut I also would love to fit the solar from Roger. Did anyone actually fit both on top? Or is it undoable?

I even thought about fitting the solar on the box, but … well, is not ideal.

All help is welcome ;-)
Hi, I’ve just fitted a solar panel that can either mount to the roof rails or to my roof box without too much difficulty in the switch over. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/solar-panel-on-roof-box.29275/

Hi, I’ve just fitted a solar panel that can either mount to the roof rails or to my roof box without too much difficulty in the switch over. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/solar-panel-on-roof-box.29275/

It looks really great!

That is a solution I really have thought of many times … We have the Thule Motion XXL 900 and it is a lot bulkier/curvey on the top, so it would mean we need to settle for a new and smaller box. But could still be interesting.

How do you sort the cables? And did you just buy a complete set from Roger? Or did you go for a DIY?

+h29epDbTHyF37VIW8Sj+A.jpg

It looks really great!

That is a solution I really have thought of many times … We have the Thule Motion XXL 900 and it is a lot bulkier/curvey on the top, so it would mean we need to settle for a new and smaller box. But could still be interesting.

How do you sort the cables? And did you just buy a complete set from Roger? Or did you go for a DIY?

View attachment 42615
Thanks. I went with a solution from Roger as it’s a neat way to attach the panel directly to the roof. I think a solution could be to have two panels. Mount a single (Roger provides) panel to the roof rails and then buy a more flexible 100w panel. Attache the flexible panel it to the curved box you already have and leave it on there. Link them in parallel when ever you mount the box. When the box is mounted the other panel is redundant as it is mostly shaded.

Something like this would be cheaper than a new roof box.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BMNGVV3/?tag=eliteelect-21

As for cables. There is a waterproof plug and socket between the panel and the cable that enters the vehicle. I have an extension piece with a male and female on each end. This allows the panel to be placed further away on the box without affecting the main cable.

D199A5D5-860E-4A1E-943A-4B9F9BB05534.jpeg I have self built a 300 watt solar system before. It’s much cheaper but I like the simplicity of Rogers plug and play system. Once you deviate too far from it, it’s worth just building your own I think.