Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar panels from Solar Camper Solutions

If it has a layer of foam a wire might cut it? Else that citrus goo remover?

Last edited:
Going to have to rely on my batteries for 3 weeks now.

OMG! way to go 3m! :) Yeah - controller should be fine - if it works, just stick the plate back on.

As for the code I always advise my install customers to take a phot of the box codes. Even if they are not readable, you can at lease use the serial number and ask any Victron seller to get the code for you via the serial.

Thermally it relies on the sand for heat dissipation. If you're running a 100W panel You're probably thermally OK otherwise you might have to try replace the sand before gluing it up.

OMG! way to go 3m! :) Yeah - controller should be fine - if it works, just stick the plate back on.

As for the code I always advise my install customers to take a phot of the box codes. Even if they are not readable, you can at lease use the serial number and ask any Victron seller to get the code for you via the serial.
A load of sand type stuff fell out of it?

Update. I now have the puk code. Still no joy. I can't unpaired or forget the device as you see here at the side of the ocean one there is the settings gear wheel. But a question mark at the side of the controller. When I click that it just asks for the pin.

Screenshot_20230824_133453_Settings.jpg

Once you enter the puk the pin resets to 000000

Cheers. Well guess what. I've only gone and fixed it!!! After all that. The puk wasn't on the back. It was on the top. If I'd known that I could have photographed it with my phone. Doh! Anyway thanks for all your help. Bush repair sorted. I'm now charging.

Cheers. Well guess what. I've only gone and fixed it!!! After all that. The puk wasn't on the back. It was on the top. If I'd known that I could have photographed it with my phone. Doh! Anyway thanks for all your help. Bush repair sorted. I'm now charging.
I had the same thing with an Epever DuoRacer, Epever support said the label is on the back.
Unscrewed it from the cupboard to find the label on the top. Dozy Epever Support people.
Had to get the wife to hold my screwdriver in the cupboard whilst I backed out my nuts…

So parked 1 day. Full hot sun. Only got 12v. Mppt constantly showing bulk. Batteries 50 percent. They were better than this without solar. Is my mppt knackered after its incident losing the sand? 11.9v on cali display. I would expect 12.7v at least by now?

Screenshot_20230909_121338.jpg

That looks normal to me. This time of year I don't see much above 55W unless my panel is angled at the sun

Your load output is on. Is it connected to something?

I’d just like to thank @Roger Donoghue for sorting out my 1-panel set up. Was super easy to fit and set up. Fantastic advice before buying, super speedy delivery, great instructions. Couldn’t ask for more.

Your load output is on. Is it connected to something?
Nothing is connected to the load pins no. The fridge is working hard today. Didn't know ii could turn that off?

Nothing is connected to the load pins no. The fridge is working hard today. Didn't know ii could turn that off?
It won't make any difference but you could change it to "always off"

Your "history" screen will give you the most info. i've had yields of 190Wh 120Wh and 210 Wh the last three days. I'm in an urban canyon with the roof down.
Vmin and time in float are also informative.

Your Ocean has around 1000 Wh of battery capacity. If your Mppt delivers 250Wh a day that's around what you need to keep the fridge going in normal UK temps (assume 4 days on battery w no solar).

Lead acid charging efficiencies are lowish -- 80-85 % or so.

Your Ocean has around 1000 Wh of battery capacity. If your Mppt delivers 250Wh a day that's around what you need to keep the fridge going in normal UK temps (assume 4 days on battery w no solar).

Lead acid charging efficiencies are lowish -- 80-85 % or so.
Thing is. I'm absolutely convinced I got better efficiency out the batteries when I didn't have solar. Am I losing my mind? Just 1 day with fridge on and I had to run the engine with full sunshine? I've never had to do that before. I'm tempted to remove it. Exactly the same van,apart from its white, . Same year. Same fridge temp. No solar and theirs is still at 70 %. Mines flat

Thing is. I'm absolutely convinced I got better efficiency out the batteries when I didn't have solar. Am I losing my mind? Just 1 day with fridge on and I had to run the engine with full sunshine? I've never had to do that before. I'm tempted to remove it. Exactly the same van,apart from its white, . Same year. Same fridge temp. No solar and theirs is still at 70 %. Mines flat
I reckon you've used more electricity than you think. Post your history data. Look around for something you didn't realise was plugged in.

I reckon you've used more electricity than you think. Post your history data. Look around for something you didn't realise was plugged in.
I did that. Only thing running was/is the fridge. Absolutely nothing else. I never used to worry after 1 day about my power on a hot day. I'm going to remove this system . It doesn't work. Had nothing but stress and worry since I fitted it. Equivalent van. Same fridge. Same temp settings, all fine. It doesn't work ,anyone else? Fancy apps etc. It doesn't work. My batteries havee never performed so bad since fitting. It's being removed when I get home

Last edited:
Back