Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brake Discs

dannosail

dannosail

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
How easy are these to change on the front? Is it just a matter of removing the calipers and knocking the disc off the hub or is removal from the hub more complicated?

Thanks!

It is as easy as you say, you may need a winding in tool for the cylinders and remember to take cover off brake fluid filler. When i did mine i switched igniton on before i had finished and had a light come on telling me a brake fault, which i took to VW to clear.

John

The disc's will be held on with a stubborn screw..

Normally use a piece of wood and a G-clamp to push the piston in but thanks for reminding me about the reservoir lid....and the screw!

Pretty sure some warping is the cause of brake judder.

Front discs are easy to do, if I recall the disc retaining screw needs a splined driver on T5's. if tight use a impact driver to loosen.
'New discs', .. so you've got new pads and binning the old ones, if you don't have a 'piston return tool', can lever the piston back in with a screw driver between pad friction face and disc. (Only rears / handbrake system require a wind back tool). I use a bit of rubber grease on the sliding caliber 'pins'. stops them seizing. Scrupulously clean on the mating faces disc to hub if you've had problems. Clean up with fine wire wool / jenolite, if corrosion evident on the mating faces. (Remember pad wear sensor and wiring)

Hope this helps.

Rob H.

Rob,

That's great - I'll note the point on cleaning the hub. Done the job a few times on various cars of mine but wanted to check I wasn't going to encounter something different. Brakes juddering and pretty sure it is warped discs.

Dan.

don't think you need a windback tool for the fronts just the rear, something to do with the handbrake, how can a brake disk warp under normal use ? they are very thick

Before you go mad changing stuff it is worth getting the front wheels balanced.

I had the symptoms on my old car, changed the discs and pads and still had the problem - it turned out I had slightly out of balance wheels which only manifested itself under braking. Worth a try if they have not been balanced for ages.

T

Back