Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brake Pedal on DSG

acer

acer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I want to buy a new Cali DSG. I usually drive a manual and I will need to switch between a manual and the new Cali on a daily basis. The thing is, when I did a test drive in a DSG as I started to slow down for a roundabout I went to engage the non-existent clutch and because there wasn't space next to the huge (Cali DSG) brake pedal, my left foot hit the brake pedal and we did an unexpected emergency stop. :eek: It frightened the life out of me! I think that I'm so old now I won't be able to mentally strap my left foot to the floor and it would happen regularly, and on one of those occasions I will suffer a bang from the rear due to someone else driving too close.

Anyway, my solution would be to change the big brake pedal for a standard size one. This would mean that if I did try to engage the non-existent clutch I would at least miss the brake pedal and there would be no harm done.

Has anyone done this? Could I specify this at the time of buying new?

I did exactly the same when we had a courtesy DSG Caravelle. The brake pedal is the size of a barn door. A little excessive methinks. Why does it need a bigger brake pedal?!

I also had a similar experience when I collected the Cali from the dealer. I'd forgotten the demo drive a few weeks earlier and was totally thrown by the unexpected braking. That said, within a day all this was a thing of the past and the DSG would now be my top priority as an option. It is a wonderful drive, and I constantly switch between our manual Fiesta and the Cali without any problems. Hope that you have a similar experience.

I'm relieved to hear I'm not the only one!

What does anyone think of my solution - changing the pedal for a standard size?

If I'm waiting 3 months for the van to be built, surely they could find time to fit it for me. What do you think.

Worth asking.

Our auto BMW (car) has the same size brake pedal as the manual version. So not sure why the DSG van has such a giant one.

acer said:
I'm relieved to hear I'm not the only one!

What does anyone think of my solution - changing the pedal for a standard size?

If I'm waiting 3 months for the van to be built, surely they could find time to fit it for me. What do you think.

Just keep your left leg firmly anchored to the floor !

I switch between a DSG and manual car (the speedster) without any issue, even though I drive the manual fairly rarely (perhaps, it is easier this way around)

I did think about taking my left shoe off to help as a reminder to stop me going into "auto-pilot" mode and crashing the non-existent clutch.

It was even more confusing for me when we first bought our tiptronic cali as my daily drive is a manual transporter.
I did the same as the OP a couple of times but also did it the other way round ie I forgot to change down and depress the clutch in my transporter approaching a roundabout once resulting in an embarrassing stall.
You soon get used to it though.

Yes, I can see that happening.
"You soon get used to it." But is that before, or after, the crash from the rear? :lol:

What ever you do, DO NOT INTERFERE WITH THE BRAKE PEDAL. It could have massive insurance implications.
When I was worry about driving an automatic for the first time a friend said "it'll take you about three minutes to get used to it". He wasn't far out. The DSG makes for a wonderful drive, enjoy it.
My sister in law used to sit with her left leg tucked under her :bananadance
I have more problems going back to drive my wife's manual.

You'll be used to it in less than 20 mins I reckon.

You will be fine.....

I switch between my DSG and a manual all the time and it's fine. If worried tuck your left leg under until you get used to it.

Seems a bit daft now but I was seriously thinking of fitting an old shoe to anchore my left foot to stall me from forgetting that the left leg is redundant while driving the dsg :oops:
But as previously stated it really does'nt take long to acclimatize

Who am I kiding I still go to use the left leg fom time to time :doh

Daft brake pedal, big delay when pulling away (see new thread)...
You could avoid these issues; get a manual ;) :thumb

I had an appalling time with a DSG Caravelle courtesy van (14 plate, 1200 miles) we had for almost two weeks.

I like the big pedal. No delay with mine or the previous one.

No delay on mine. DSG 4Motion.

No delay on mine either, I find the DSG box faultless tbh

"Honest John" in the Daily Telegraph has for years argued that it is safer to use your left foot to brake when driving automatics. I have tried it but do not like it.

Brake pedal for me is too near the accelerator, easy to press both when braking.

Eventually you will get used to it.

Back