Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DSG Best Practices

I've had DSG since 2008 and love it. The latest version on the T6 is superb. 7 speeds and coasting. And if the car is warm/battery charged, then stop/start will kick in when you come to a stop anyway. You just need to release the pressure on the brake slightly to make the engine kick in if you're worried about being able to nab your spot at a roundabout. Just remember that 2 tonnes+ of Cali takes a bit more getting off the line than a supermini - especially if all that torque's through the front wheels.

Honestly, once you've got it, you'll wonder why you waited so long...
The T6 has the same DSG box as its predecessor the T5 with exactly the same functions.

The T6 has the same DSG box as its predecessor the T5 with exactly the same functions.

So does the T5 have the coasting function?

I've never noticed it on mine. Does it have to be enabled or configured?

Option to enable is in the MFD I believe. Must make quite a big difference to fuel consumption. I like it. 3 Tons of Cali going downhill gets some speed up. You can though just dab the break and it will then engage the DSG in whatever gear it feels appropriate. To coast again you then just touch the accelerator.

Mike

As @T6 CFO has said on the MFD and needs to be enabled.

Also if On Cruise then flicking the top slider switch to Disable Cruise rather than Switch Off Cruise puts you into Coast Mode.

would staying in "D" with the footbrake applied cause any wear or is it good practice to engage "N" if going to be stationary for more than say 30 seconds?
Since the autostop only works in D I presume that VW intend it to be held in D using the footbrake. I started off using N and applying the handbrake - which causes the engine to restart - duh.

Hello everyone, I'm back from nearly 50 years of jeeps and American cars with automatic transmission, and not just quelle..anche Subaru STI and Audi TT with manual transmission .... So I think I can tell my experience ... I am happy that my new Cali T6 has a manual transmission, do not 'so' difficult to press the clutch pedal and handle the gear lever ...... at least do vui what you and not the 'machine electronics. You then tried to do some maneuvering with the automatic transmission to hook a trailer, perhaps on a slightly uneven? It is likely to do harm 'cause you can not measure out the' progress of the vehicle as with the clutch ....

Option to enable is in the MFD I believe. Must make quite a big difference to fuel consumption. I like it. 3 Tons of Cali going downhill gets some speed up. You can though just dab the break and it will then engage the DSG in whatever gear it feels appropriate. To coast again you then just touch the accelerator.

Mike
You can also simply drop the stick in to manual and it will engage engine braking. Move it back to D and it well coast again without the fancy footwork.

..me...

Hello everyone, I'm back from nearly 50 years of jeeps and American cars with automatic transmission, and not just quelle..anche Subaru STI and Audi TT with manual transmission .... So I think I can tell my experience ... I am happy that my new Cali T6 has a manual transmission, do not 'so' difficult to press the clutch pedal and handle the gear lever ...... at least do vui what you and not the 'machine electronics. You then tried to do some maneuvering with the automatic transmission to hook a trailer, perhaps on a slightly uneven? It is likely to do harm 'cause you can not measure out the' progress of the vehicle as with the clutch

Yes but this thread is for the people who made the mistake of ordering a DSG, and are now trying to find excuses to move that lever backwards and forwards, to remind them they're still Boy Racers at heart.

Sorry DSGers, only pulling your... Ouch.
:bananadance2

Hello everyone, I'm back from nearly 50 years of jeeps and American cars with automatic transmission, and not just quelle..anche Subaru STI and Audi TT with manual transmission .... So I think I can tell my experience ... I am happy that my new Cali T6 has a manual transmission, do not 'so' difficult to press the clutch pedal and handle the gear lever ...... at least do vui what you and not the 'machine electronics. You then tried to do some maneuvering with the automatic transmission to hook a trailer, perhaps on a slightly uneven? It is likely to do harm 'cause you can not measure out the' progress of the vehicle as with the clutch ....
:Iamsorry But must Disagree. No problem manoeuvring in confined spaces, over very uneven ground or hitching up trailers. Just use " Creep " mode ( anti-stall ) and the Footbrake. Totally different system and function compared to American Automatic Transmission.

My Cali is quite old compared to a lot on here (2007) and I would say the changes are even more seamless than those on my old estate car. Sometimes I think it hasn't changed and I look at the revs to see that it has, I find it an absolute pleasure to drive!

I love the DSG - instant convert from 34-years of manual boxes.
I'm using Sport mode a little more now; not for sporty driving, but for better control on winding or hilly roads - like the Lake District.

Thank goodness. I can use those LED lights now.

Mike