Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DSG Best Practices

RoB5urf

RoB5urf

Beach with 2-seat bench
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I have limited experience of driving automatics - my Beach DSG will be the first automatic I've owned. I was wondering whether anybody can offer practical tips on using the DSG, particularly anything that might help avoid premature wear or issues.

For example, in stationary traffic would staying in "D" with the footbrake applied cause any wear or is it good practice to engage "N" if going to be stationary for more than say 30 seconds? When driving manual cars I avoid staying in gear with the clutch depressed as much as possible and have never had clutch issues in 30 years of driving.

Cheers

I have limited experience of driving automatics - my Beach DSG will be the first automatic I've owned. I was wondering whether anybody can offer practical tips on using the DSG, particularly anything that might help avoid premature wear or issues.

For example, in stationary traffic would staying in "D" with the footbrake applied cause any wear or is it good practice to engage "N" if going to be stationary for more than say 30 seconds? When driving manual cars I avoid staying in gear with the clutch depressed as much as possible and have never had clutch issues in 30 years of driving.

Cheers
Somewhere on the forum (from Welshgas i think - Welshgas forgive me if I have got this wrong) is a dissertation rather than a post on DSG gearbox and usage.
from memory disengaging from D into N was considered more likely to increase wear rather than reduce it and there were some very good tips so it is worth a read.
I am used to autos and the DSG is the best system I have used, mostly because it is not a conventional auto box with a torque converter.

Thanks Johnny, I did perform a forum search before posting - oddly if I search for DSG and check "search titles only" I get no results (not even this thread). Bit embarrassing really considering I work in IT!

Last edited:
I'm not 100% happy with the DSG. I find the pregnant pause at take off annoying and gear changes a tad ponderous.

Compared to the ZF in my Discovery the DSG is, sorry to say, agricultural. The ZF has seamless changes which are only noticeable by the change in revs (it could be the V8 factor). Plus no delay on pickup which can be difficult when swapping between the Cali and the Discovery!

On the plus side I like the coasting function on the DSG. Works very well.

• Disagree
Reactions: Loz
I think that really all you have to do is drive it and make sure you remember you don't have a clutch or you will headbutt the steering wheel every time you come to a stop.

Last edited:

Cheers
Here you go.

Attachments

• DSG Gearbox.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 261
  • DSG.pdf
    78.7 KB · Views: 321
I'm not 100% happy with the DSG. I find the pregnant pause at take off annoying and gear changes a tad ponderous.

Compared to the ZF in my Discovery the DSG is, sorry to say, agricultural. The ZF has seamless changes which are only noticeable by the change in revs (it could be the V8 factor). Plus no delay on pickup which can be difficult when swapping between the Cali and the Discovery!

On the plus side I like the coasting function on the DSG. Works very well.
It might help reading the 2nd Article DSG in my post above No 6.

The DSG is NOT an Automatic Gear Box and has No Torque Converter. It is a completely different animal. It is worth reading that Article.

As you will be aware from the earlier information the DSG isn't an automatic in the traditional sense.

Torque converter types have a natural tendency to feel like a slipping clutch in a normal manual car set up. Takes a bit of getting used to having to rev up before you can set off.

DSG is really a manual clutch set up with automated gear and clutch changes 2 clutches are used making the engagement of the next gear required instantaneous. Having had both auto systems, including the latest 8 speed auto I think that the DSG is brilliant. I've never known any snatching or sense of a bad gear change in the 8 years we've had one in our EOS (only just got the Cali)

The DSG leaves you to do the driving in a much more relaxed manner. If in cruise mode it takes care of hills. After a roundabout press resume and that's it back up to speed.

If you like pressing a pedal, remembering which gear its currently in and moving a lever about then stick to a manual box.:thumb

Thanks WG. Having read the shorter of the 2 docs posted above, it would seem that applying the foot brake disengages the clutch so no wear would result from holding the vehicle whilst "D" is selected? If so then I guess that would be better than continually cycling through D > N > D > N >D whilst working my way round the M25??

I know how a direct shift gearbox works. I would still class it as an automatic as the D or S gives you that option.

Thanks WG. Having read the shorter of the 2 docs posted above, it would seem that applying the foot brake disengages the clutch so no wear would result from holding the vehicle whilst "D" is selected? If so then I guess that would be better than continually cycling through D > N > D > N >D whilst working my way round the M25??
Definitely. I've had a DSG for 11 years now and you simply leave it to get on with it. Only tips are when you come to a stop and go to pull off quickly some think there is a slight lag. There is because it's not holding on the clutch which would cause wear. As soon as you take your foot off the break and it will start to creep forward having engaged 1st gear and then away you go.

Mike

Our DSG got software tuning (package with motortuning). This could take away some complains. Much better shiftmoments now, great driving.

I have never used N since getting my California 43,000 miles ago, not even on the M25, or the Brynglas Tunnels on the M4.

Cheers
No idea about good practice for a DSG, but the quote below is from the Highway Code concerning lighting, and causing discomfort to those behind you when sitting on the brakes.
You MUST NOT
  • use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
  • use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. YouMUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226).
In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.
Law RVLR reg 27

Had my DSG over 4 years
I haven't used it for the last couple of weeks ...done a swap with my sons manual Drove my van for the first time today since the swap
Forgot I was in the auto went to change gear and of course slammed the brakes on :headbang
Moral of my post is for any one beginning with an auto to forget you have a left foot while driving (or in my case glue it to the floor)

Alan :sad

No idea about good practice for a DSG, but the quote below is from the Highway Code concerning lighting.
You MUST NOT
  • use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
  • use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. YouMUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226).
In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.
Law RVLR reg 27
That's what P is for on the DSG. Mind you, you don't have to put the Handbrake on, even on a hill as the Drive Train is locked in P, but best practice would be to use it.

However if you have travelled on the M25 in rush hour you'll find in practice the majority of drivers just use the Footbrake, as they do on the approach to the Tunnels on the M4.

Just had a thought. If Stop-Start is activated, are the Rear Brake Lights still On?

Have to look into that.:thumb

I find it works better if you short shift it manually with the paddles. Just my preference.

No idea about good practice for a DSG, but the quote below is from the Highway Code concerning lighting, and causing discomfort to those behind you when sitting on the brakes.
You MUST NOT
Law RVLR reg 27

Yeah, but let's be honest, who with any kind of auto box actually puts it into N when waiting in traffic, at lights etc? Must admit I don't anyway.

Actually though, now I think, I do habitually slip the car (auto or manual, we have both) out of gear and press hard on brake when I've stopped for a pedestrian. Always done that, so if I get rear-ended I'm less likely to get shunted forward into the pedestrian. Must have been told to do it by a wise instructor back in the day.

One tip I have for the original question asked is that when going down a long slope at speed braking tends to make the DSG drop down through the gears, to use engine braking I presume, but this makes the revs rise to an extent that I find excessive, I therefore knock it into manual to stay in a higher gear. If you do not brake you will catch up the vehicle in front due to the coasting.

I have never used N (Night Mode) since getting my California 43,000 miles ago
So most of your driving in D (Day mode) :sorry

That's what P is for on the DSG. ...

This raises an interesting point in my mind. In a "traditional" automatic, I would never shift into "P" in this situation (the example was queuing in stationary traffic) - besides the 'palaver', you could inadvertently (albeit briefly) turn on your reversing lights when shifting into "P" (and again when shifting back to "D"). This could cause possible confusion/concern to following drivers. I don't think the Highway Code is advocating this - the "P" is not strictly a parking brake; as you say, it locks the transmission.

I have always, regardless of manual or automatic transmission, used the traditional "parking brake" (handbrake in common parlance but these days hand/foot/button/mind control operated) in such situations, and then once it's clear that any following drivers are aware that I'm stationary, released the "footbrake".

Back to the point: I'm not sure that this technique works well in the DSG. In the Cali (T5.1 at least), the handbrake is quite a reach and, in my experience, if you use it with car in "D" the car will always try to creep forwards (just like a standard auto. could). I'm not sure but I suspect that the DSG clutch(es) are only fully disengaged when the footbrake is applied and vehicle is stationary; using the handbrake alone, maybe the DSG is continually slipping the clutch? Not such a problem in a standard auto. but probably not good for DSG clutch-wear ...

[Edit] However, for a quick getaway (e.g. busy junction), maybe you can sometimes take advantage of this behaviour? If you're stopped in "D" on the handbrake alone, as soon as you release it, you would go. There might be no apparent "lag" as can be sometimes experienced when you release the footbrake.

In the Cali. DSG I have therefore evolved my technique somewhat: for short stops, of course, I just use the footbrake. Once it becomes apparent that a short stop is becoming a long stop (subjective) and there are stationary vehicles behind me, I apply the handbrake, shift to "N" (doesn't require going through "R") and then release the footbrake.

Each to their own of course; I'm not advocating my technique; just throwing it out there FYI.

Last edited:
I've had DSG since 2008 and love it. The latest version on the T6 is superb. 7 speeds and coasting. And if the car is warm/battery charged, then stop/start will kick in when you come to a stop anyway. You just need to release the pressure on the brake slightly to make the engine kick in if you're worried about being able to nab your spot at a roundabout. Just remember that 2 tonnes+ of Cali takes a bit more getting off the line than a supermini - especially if all that torque's through the front wheels.

Honestly, once you've got it, you'll wonder why you waited so long...