Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brandrup Isolite inside - fitting / size?

Eber123

Eber123

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hello

We thought that the original VW side and front window covers are not that sufficient, so we decided to order the with the Brandrup Isolite Inside.

There was a bit of delay, but after 5 months we got them from a dealer in Holland.

Today the weather is really nice so I decided to get those covers installed and see how they look like.

I started with the side windows and for my taste it feels that the covers are a bit too big (on both windows). So we checked the front window. It seems that it fits a bit better, but also they could be a bit smaller ( < 1 cm).

I was wondering if other Grand California users got the Brandrup Isolite inside and let me know how they have installed them. I will take some pictures later (maybe those pictures explain better what may query is).

Also, I might be wrong and the covers were designed that way.

Thank you for your help.
Eberhard

Helllo,

I just took a few pictures.

I expected that the covers will just cover the window area and the velcro strip will be placed just outside the window area.

It looks now, that the velcro strips need to be placed above "outside" this area. This means that the cover will touch the window in the middle and in doing so will avoid condensation (at least for a good bit).
But if the Brandrup cover "raps around the window frame, there is some air on the sides. Here I expect there will be condensation.

Before I put them on I was wondering if my thinking is wrong and the Brandrup Isolite Covers are designed this way or not?

Also I believe that the cover for the front screen is massive and causes some hassle to get it in place easy and properly. It would be better if it would come in two parts connected with a velcro in the middle (put that is another issue).

Regards,
Eberhard

This is what Iexpected

20220415_153643.jpg

This is what I meant "outside"

20220415_153547.jpg

20220415_153535.jpg

20220415_153520.jpg

This is what I meant with "outside"

20220415_153514.jpg

I thought they were supposed to fit level with the door frame to create an air gap between the outside face of the isolite and the glass. That air gap increases the insulation just the same as double glazing.

I thought they were supposed to fit level with the door frame to create an air gap between the outside face of the isolite and the glass. That air gap increases the insulation just the same as double glazing.

Hello @andyinluton,

That makes sense. So I tried this, but the fit is even worse.

I will contact Brandrup in Germany later in the day. Maybe they can give me some advise or hints of ow to install and use their product correctly.

Regards,
Eberhard

How are the standard blinds when it comes to hot weather. Sadly not had much of a chance to test them out with hot sun but heading to France and thinking I may need to get something more reflective to stop the van becoming an oven used to hate the suction cup ones on my T5.
Presuming these brandrup ones would do the trick for both summer and winter? Anyone else found a good option?

Hello,

The Brandrup Isolite suppose to be good for warm and cold weather. At the end of Mai we also going to France and hope that until then we figured out how to fit the covers properly and if they keep the heat out.

Regards,
Eberhard

I’ve taken the plunge. Hope they fit ok. Don’t think the standard ones will cut the mustard if I get the weather I hope for. That said with the air con and a comfy bed it will hopefully be a totally different experience from being up in the roof of a T5 at 38 degrees I experienced in 2019 waking up like a pocket rotifer days.

Was tempted until I saw the P&P cost.

Was tempted until I saw the P&P cost.
I know, you have to read the whole advert, as it's not that much, he just wants you to contact him first to ensure he has the correct order then he'll give you a correct price! Caught me out too!

Hello,

I contacted Brandrup Germany before Easter and they got back to me today. They send me a picture and more information. In the picture it looks like I expected.

I still believe we got the wrong seize of Brandrup covers. I took more pictures and send it to Brandrup and contacted the dealer which is in Holland.

If neither of them can advice me of what to do we need to send them back.

Regards,
Eberhard

Hello,

I still believe we got the wrong seize of Brandrup covers.

Regards,
Eberhard
Could you have a set for the earlier crafter/sprinter rather than the current crafter/MAN ?
I see there are some of them for sale on ebay and even the club shop shows the earlier ones if you search by Grand California - it’s only the photo of the dashboard that shows they are the wrong ones.

Back