Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brandrup Isotop VI; any reviews?

Thanks for all your replies. I’m certain it’s on my list, I just need to wait for it come in stock.

In the meantime, and to protect the kids on our first outing to stay with friends in Suffolk over NYE, I made a diy wrap around blanket. It was all down to the amazing template by Radio-active and it worked a treat.

Had such a fabulous time and now have a long list of things to start organising our amazing toy.

Happy New Year everyone.

3C066E6D-10A7-4AD0-AD7A-10C81A75A329.jpeg

Has anyone tried the iso-top with the latest T6 canvas, the one with the fully opening front?

The new canvas material and the zips down the sides seem to make it really tight to close the sliding roof door, is there still room for the iso-top?

Fitted my Iso-Top today.
It was a 2nd hand one I got off eBay, has 2017 written on it, so possibly a mk4 ? Doesn’t have the full opening front but, we are more likely to use the iso-top than the full front opening on the new Cali so doesn’t really bother me.

Because it was second hand didn’t get all the Brandrup Velcro, so just got some off eBay.

Fitting was fine, about 2 hours from start to finish, didn’t faff about, did it in the cold, didn’t wait 48 hours etc. I feel like such a Maverick lol If it falls off I can do it again anyway.

Roof closes fine, even with new full front opening canvas.

First impressions, really impressed with it. Should of had one on my last Cali.

Fitted my Iso-Top today.
It was a 2nd hand one I got off eBay, has 2017 written on it, so possibly a mk4 ? Doesn’t have the full opening front but, we are more likely to use the iso-top than the full front opening on the new Cali so doesn’t really bother me.

Because it was second hand didn’t get all the Brandrup Velcro, so just got some off eBay.

Fitting was fine, about 2 hours from start to finish, didn’t faff about, did it in the cold, didn’t wait 48 hours etc. I feel like such a Maverick lol If it falls off I can do it again anyway.

Roof closes fine, even with new full front opening canvas.

First impressions, really impressed with it. Should of had one on my last Cali.
Loving the maverick behaviour!

I keep wondering if I should go with the older and cheaper version without the front opening. I can’t help but think the new canvas option looks good on paper but in reality won’t get used.....

Loving the maverick behaviour!

I keep wondering if I should go with the older and cheaper version without the front opening. I can’t help but think the new canvas option looks good on paper but in reality won’t get used.....
I've found it very useful in summer to leave the top 5 inches of the front opening open, to let the hot air escape during the day. I could leave the van opened in a camping site in this way while I was away from it, as it is nearly impossible for somebody to climb in that high.
So if/when I will buy a Isotop, it will definitely be the Mark VI with from opening.

I've found it very useful in summer to leave the top 5 inches of the front opening open, to let the hot air escape during the day. I could leave the van opened in a camping site in this way while I was away from it, as it is nearly impossible for somebody to climb in that high.
So if/when I will buy a Isotop, it will definitely be the Mark VI with from opening.
That’s also a very good point.

I am guessing you saw the video I did? I have had the isotop in now for about 4 months, Ive used it in very hot weather close to 40c and cold now down to about 2c. It definitely made a difference in the heat but really made a big difference in the cold. Heater downstairs never seemed to reach the upstairs before we had this but now the heat stays quite nicely and our heater needs to run a lot less to keep the place toasty warm. It stays warm for longer too.

Bellows

Pros
  • Internal, fit and forget, no putting away damp external toppers
  • In the UK at least good pro for me is that it darkens the poptop. Good for bright summer mornings to ensure sun doesnt wake you up at 4.30am
  • Technical fabric is thin but breathable yet insulating.
  • Holds heat in better, but also stops heat build up from sun shining on the poptop.
  • Prevents drafts (but still has air space for air vent).
  • Easy to fit no DIY experience needed.
Cons
  • Reduces the poptop size by a tiny amount probably about an inch on the sides and front.
  • On the beach (or coast manual roof) you have to put screws into the plastic roof, on the Ocean (or electric coast roof) there is no drilling thankfully . Torx screw driver required for Beach but not in the instructions.
  • Instructions are in a strange English-like language but are hard to interpret. Makes an easy job confusing.
  • Can't see the canvas internally any longer so care needed putting roof down, however bellows bungee solves this easily.
Very useful guidance, thanks MattBW.

We have been in the habit of using an external Kamping Cozi to keep cold or wet weather at bay on our Cali SE T5. We stow it away in a waterproof stow bag so that when put in the boot it can't soak other stuff. It is, however, a bit of a faff putting on and taking off every time we want to move the van.

So the possibility of installing a Brandrup Isotop is under active consideration. Can you advise how you get on when having to close the roof when the outside canvas is wet? There could be a whole series of occasions when one needs to close the roof when the outer canvas is wet.When the roof is closed when the outer canvass is wet, is there any penetration of dampness through the Isotop?

Can you advise how you get on when having to close the roof when the outside canvas is wet? There could be a whole series of occasions when one needs to close the roof when the outer canvas is wet.When the roof is closed when the outer canvass is wet, is there any penetration of dampness through the Isotop?
No water penetration, material is very similar to goretex.