Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Isotop and Coast owners

Explorer

Explorer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hello gurus

we are looking to get an isotop on our 6.1 Coast. We have had absolutely torrential rain and 50mph winds in Wales with no problems so are not concerned about water leaks.

We would like the isotop for warmth as we try to get a few late year trips in. We are three so always pop the roof for sleeping.

I just need some confidence that it is still possible to keep the isotop on and close the roof manually. It’s can be tricky already sometimes - though I have read about loosening the clips.

I also wondered if anyone knows if we get the mark vi with front opening - would that still fit the coast roof without the from opening? (Was not sure if the bellows are all the same size with or without windows). If so we would probably go with the latest version as plan to upgrade our bellows in a couple of years.

Thanks in advance

Hello gurus

we are looking to get an isotop on our 6.1 Coast. We have had absolutely torrential rain and 50mph winds in Wales with no problems so are not concerned about water leaks.

We would like the isotop for warmth as we try to get a few late year trips in. We are three so always pop the roof for sleeping.

I just need some confidence that it is still possible to keep the isotop on and close the roof manually. It’s can be tricky already sometimes - though I have read about loosening the clips.

I also wondered if anyone knows if we get the mark vi with front opening - would that still fit the coast roof without the from opening? (Was not sure if the bellows are all the same size with or without windows). If so we would probably go with the latest version as plan to upgrade our bellows in a couple of years.

Thanks in advance
We have one in a 5.1 Beach, there is no need to loosen any clips in the roof.

Just buy the one that is specifically made for your Cali. Send Brandrup a message directly to doublecheck.

I worry about closing too.

I bought a thin mattress topper for the pop top and couldn't close the roof with it on so how would it close with anything else up there?
I understand you have to take the front panel of the isotop off to close the roof on an ocean.
Would be very interested to hear from any 6 1 coast owners.

I worry about closing too.

I bought a thin mattress topper for the pop top and couldn't close the roof with it on so how would it close with anything else up there?
I understand you have to take the front panel of the isotop off to close the roof on an ocean.
Would be very interested to hear from any 6 1 coast owners.
You need to take the topper out before you close the roof otherwise you risk creasing the roof. If creased you will notice a small bulge on the side of the roof in line with the rear roof mech.

Really impressed with how waterproof the the 6.1 canvas is; much better then previous versions. Much darker too. So much of the benefit of an isotop year round has gone, why not look at an external wrap for insulation for the few months of the year that it’s of benefit instead?

Really impressed with how waterproof the the 6.1 canvas is; much better then previous versions. Much darker too. So much of the benefit of an isotop year round has gone, why not look at an external wrap for insulation for the few months of the year that it’s of benefit instead?
I was wondering about the external topper - and they are much cheaper (I think) but then I read a few comments that they don’t help with the cold.

We really have been through absolutely torrential rain and storms (the worst august weather ever!!) and the canvas has been brilliant- very impressed.

Maybe I will consider a upgrade to a 4 season down sleeping bag for upstairs instead and an external topper :)

My issue with external topper is having to put it on when the weather's bad ie rain. I'll get soaked. Then having to take it off and store it wet.

We camped recently on the North East Coast when it was quite cold outside, but had a 10.5 duvet. Didn't put the heaters on. We were too hot!!

Think we'll wait and see how we go.

We love our internal isotop. No faffing around taking it off/putting it on if we want to go for a drive or lower the roof for security When going out.

Also the window openings match those on the canvas so you can let in light/fresh air. Other good points are it’s breathable and we get no condensation and the upstairs is lovely and dark.

We started off with an external topper but it got on my wick and was too much of a pain!

Last edited: