Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brandrup Living Room Carpet T6.1

E

EmrysGlynnDunn

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Does anyone have this Brandrup carpet ? I just bought a new one from the shop. There is what looks like a fault line running down the narrowest bit of carpet by the door. It looks like a thread of the carpet has been pulled out. When I spoke to the shop they said that this is caused by the stitching for the velcro on the other side of the carpet and Brandrup have said this is "normal" !!

I really don't think it is acceptable, everyone I have shown it to thinks it is a defect on the pile. The shop have been great and said I can return it but I just wondeted if anyone else has this carpet and if it has this 'line' ??
Thanks

20220127_151109.jpg

That is normal. I've had two of these & both have the stitching line.

Iv got one on order, that doesn’t look great for a premium carpet, is that on show when it’s fitted?

Mine was the same, I think it's where the hook and loop strip is stitched on (on the underside) for fixing down. Doesn't look great but once installed you don't really notice it.

Iv got one on order, that doesn’t look great for a premium carpet, is that on show when it’s fitted?
Yes most definitely. Both my wife and daughter thought it was a defect - "looks like a thrrad has been pulled".
I don't think it will dissapear as the pile has been pulled down by the rear stitching. Brandrup should sort this out for a small piece of carpet costing nearly £200 !!!!
It is very very noticeable and I'm sending mine back.

Disapp
Yes most definitely. Both my wife and daughter thought it was a defect - "looks like a thrrad has been pulled".
I don't think it will dissapear as the pile has been pulled down by the rear stitching. Brandrup should sort this out for a small piece of carpet costing nearly £200 !!!!
It is very very noticeable and I'm sending mine back.
Disappointing when you do your research & decide to order the best quality item for the job but it’s still not very good . Fingers crossed if you order another one it won’t be as noticeable.

yes we have it on ours, but i must says in not discernibly noticeable fitted in a van. Every one comments how nice the carpet is and not one person has mentioned this.
Ours was too nice for dogs & dirty boots, we switched it for one of the tailored rubber mats.

Its the sort of thing you only notice once its been pointed out to you. The alternative is to have that flap of carpet either falling out the van every time the door is opened or for it to bunch up & cause a trip hazard. I have tried a previous make of carpet without that bit of velcro & it just doesn't work.
The clever bit on the Brandrup is not just the velcro being sewn onto the carpet, its the other half of the velcro fitted under the step groove.
This is what mine looks like, compared to the sight of 3 large shiny rails poking through, the line of stitching is not really a cause for concern.
IMG_2364.jpg

I think the carpet looks great! How easy is it to secure? Do you need extra double sided tape / Velcro or do they supply enough?

My own view is that it is just not acceptable for Brandrup to ignore this 'defect' and advise it is just a result of the way it is made. This is an expensive supposedly premium product. They could easily find another method to fix the velcro on the back - seems like most people are willing to accept this defect so Brandrup can't be bothered to change the way it's made. If everyone sent it back they would soon change it.

As having laid the carpet this morning I was glad the velcrontape is not glued but stiched. In my experience glue looses its "stickyness" while moving (and you will be stepping on it). I don't see this as a defect. And yes, you need the velcron to hold this part down as I am a sloppy walker ...

I think the carpet looks great! How easy is it to secure? Do you need extra double sided tape / Velcro or do they supply enough?
They supply everything needed. the main fixing runs the length of the door but is slid under the door trim rather than stuck to the floor.

They supply everything needed. the main fixing runs the length of the door but is slid under the door trim rather than stuck to the floor.
Thanks for the quick reply Andy I have one under my spare bed awaiting the arrival of my Ocean in May/June! I hadn’t appreciated how it was fixed down. I may be back in touch asking for fitting advice when it does!
I love the friendly and helpful aspect of this club. Happy camping in 2022 everyone!
Cheers Jim

I've ust come on here looking for advice on the best adhesive velcro to buy to fix the carpet in place (2nd hand purchase). I did try some adhesive velcro we had kicking around from the kids craft box, but it wasn' sticky enough.

Very happy to discover that the velco strip slides under the trim afterall - so thanks for posting this. The only donwnside is that the strip of carpet above the velcro is very slightly raised up. Perhaps it will flatten down with use.

(I have a black carpet and the stitching to hold the velcro isn't particularly obvious).

Velcro do a heavy duty self adhesive tape - I got some on Amazon and it holds my step mats on very well indeed

I've ust come on here looking for advice on the best adhesive velcro to buy to fix the carpet in place (2nd hand purchase). I did try some adhesive velcro we had kicking around from the kids craft box, but it wasn' sticky enough.

Very happy to discover that the velco strip slides under the trim afterall - so thanks for posting this. The only donwnside is that the strip of carpet above the velcro is very slightly raised up. Perhaps it will flatten down with use.

(I have a black carpet and the stitching to hold the velcro isn't particularly obvious).
You need " Industrial" velcro and not the Domestic kind.

You need " Industrial" velcro and not the Domestic kind.

Nice one, thanks. The only industrial strength 'hook and loop' I could find seemed to only be available in industrial quantities (I think I was looking at 3M), so useful to have this option. I don't think I've ever knowingly used or even seen actual 'velcro' brand before - glad to see it still exists!.

Nice one, thanks. The only industrial strength 'hook and loop' I could find seemed to only be available in industrial quantities (I think I was looking at 3M), so useful to have this option. I don't think I've ever knowingly used or even seen actual 'velcro' brand before - glad to see it still exists!.

Screwfix sell it

I know that everyone has their own ideas about what's important, but if I wanted to be a perfectionist about something it would the reddish spot on the floor and not the extra few stitches on the carpet.

My own view is that it is just not acceptable for Brandrup to ignore this 'defect' and advise it is just a result of the way it is made. This is an expensive supposedly premium product. They could easily find another method to fix the velcro on the back - seems like most people are willing to accept this defect so Brandrup can't be bothered to change the way it's made. If everyone sent it back they would soon change it.
When I read your original post, I thought “I don’t have that line”. So when I went out to clean the van out after the weekends camping, I had a look and I do indeed have that line! I’ve got to be honest, I’ve never noticed it before and probably won’t notice it again. I have the black carpet so perhaps it’s less obvious on that colour. Overall, while it’s a personal thing, I don’t think it’s a biggie. After all, you’ll have to have the obligatory additional mat to protect the expensive Brandrup carpet over the top anyway!

As having laid the carpet this morning I was glad the velcrontape is not glued but stiched. In my experience glue looses its "stickyness" while moving (and you will be stepping on it). I don't see this as a defect. And yes, you need the velcron to hold this part down as I am a sloppy walker ...
They could stitch it round the edge stitch line, have a Velcro-covered rear though

They could stitch it round the edge stitch line, have a Velcro-covered rear though
They have, the velcro is stitched on both edges, one as part of the edging to the carpet & one on the other edge.
I don't understand the fuss myself, its a bit of carpet in the back of a builders van.

Back