Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brandup Top Sail

P

Pollychops

VIP Member
Has anyone got one of these? Is it a good alternative to the fixed awning? We are thinking about not using our fixed awning which we havent yet as we prefer the look of the Cali without it on. Is seems to be strong enough and you can add the side panels also. If it is good then we would probably buy one and sell our retractable awning.Any info would help.

Thanks

Hello there.

We have one that we use on our T4 California. It's a nice simple bit of kit, but it can be a bit of a fiddle to put up especially if you've not got any willing helpers. We have side panels too but haven't used them at all yet - something I keep meaning to try. Its pretty well made too but ours has started to sag a little in the middle with the material stretching over time. I call it our ensuite swimming pool when there has been an overnight downpour. The kids love the crash of water as I empty it. That said its quick and easy to shorten a pole or two so the water has a tendency to roll off. Another thing worth considering if you do go for it is the second set of poles and horizontal brace. We have this too and it allows you to raise the height of the awning at the door so you have better clearance as you leap enthusiastically into another days campervanning.

Something I forgot to mention.

Unlike the cassette awning mounted on the rail outside the California you will need to find space inside to stow the poles, canvas and side panels of the Top Sail. It doesn't take up a lot of room, but it does reduce the capacity for importing wine bottles and strong cheese. We also found, something which may be different on the current version, is that the poles are a fraction too long to fit across the boot unless in a very specific position. They are definitely too long to go length ways unless the bed seat is pushed into a forward position. Not something we can do as we usually stop to overnight on the way down France and with four on board rearranging the boot late at night can cause a little tension.

Hopefully you'll find our experiences useful in making your decision.