Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Breakdown Service

GregW

GregW

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
My RAC renewal is due but this is the first time I’ve owned a camper (plus I have a couple of other cars) what’s the best choice?

It’s mainly needed in the UK but I do envisage some European travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My RAC renewal is due but this is the first time I’ve owned a camper (plus I have a couple of other cars) what’s the best choice?

It’s mainly needed in the UK but I do envisage some European travel.

I would suggest VW Assistance. UK/European coverage £150 for 2 years.

Why are you using the RAC and not VW Assistance that came with the California for the 3 years of the Warranty?

The VW was registered in August 2015, so is now expired. Now I want to combine all my vehicles on to one policy.

Quite a common query - my cut and paste from the last time asked:

Simple! There are two no brainer accounts that every EU visiting Cali owner should have:

1. Nationwide Flex Plus account. Full worldwide family travel insurance, full EU and UK breakdown cover for the holder on *any* vehicle he/she is in, also gives 3% on balances and mobile phone insurance etc. £13 a month.

2. Halifax Clarity credit card. By far the best/cheapest way to spend Euros.

I took Safeguard Insurance who combine Breakdown and Recovery both in UK & Europe in the cover provided as standard. Covers vans which can be an extra with normal recovery insurances..
Also no limit on number of trips or over a month duration as many do.

I have used VW assistance for years now. I’ve not needed it until this summer.
I had a warning light appear in the middle of Spain and after speaking with Heritage in Bristol I rang for assistance.
It was a Thursday and a new turbo was required and it was coming from Barcelona.
VW assistance were superb. Their communication was first class and they extended their hotel support to 5 nights.
Unbelievably a similar light appeared on the way back from Portugal and again they were amazing.
They booked flights, hire cars and finally arranged to have my California brought back to the UK by truck.
I can’t praise them enough.
The European cover is done alongside AA cover.
I haven’t been reimbursed for my expenses and I understand they are extremely busy catching up after a hectic summer of breakdowns.

Thank you. Some great advice here.

Quite a common query - my cut and paste from the last time asked:

Simple! There are two no brainer accounts that every EU visiting Cali owner should have:

1. Nationwide Flex Plus account. Full worldwide family travel insurance, full EU and UK breakdown cover for the holder on *any* vehicle he/she is in, also gives 3% on balances and mobile phone insurance etc. £13 a month.

2. Halifax Clarity credit card. By far the best/cheapest way to spend Euros.

"holder on *any* vehicle he/she is in" or on:thumb

Britannia Rescue, I've got, Cali, plus 2 cars and any car I am driving or passenger in AND my partner is covered as well when she's driving any car. £96 which includes £25 membership of Boundless (used to be called the CSMA). Boundless gives you discounts on LV Insurance, ferries etc.
I've used them in the past and had no problems. They tend to use local garages rather than their own fleet.

Why are you using the RAC and not VW Assistance that came with the California for the 3 years of the Warranty?

I have the 2 year VW Assistance and have had to use it once. When I rang I was asked if I wanted the next available AA engineer who would arrive in about 30 minutes or wait for a California "expert" who would be about 90 minutes. As breakdown was at home I opted to wait for the"expert". Engineer arrived within the 90 mins and he really new the California and its equipment as he had training specific to the Cali from Volkswagen. Well worth the wait and the cost.

Cool, I never knew you could get VW assistance after the 3 years? And at that price it’s a no brainer!

Use ADAC German company
Partner withAA in the uk
90 euros covers all our cars and any driver also passenger in other peoples cars
Covers Morocco and east Europe also
Used in London..... Vw polo rear drum brake s stuck on at 2300. Professional y sorted within 90 mins

We use green flag. It was around £68 for full euro cover and repatriation inc wrong fuel cover in the uk. We have had to call them out once or twice in the uk and they have been superb.

Back