Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

European breakdown cover

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
FYI, my annual renewal came through from the AA yesterday. Obvs silly increase. Went through the usual routine, call, discuss, threaten to cancel blah blah. They did reduce it quite a bit but not enough.

In the end I swapped to RAC. They’ve an offer on till end of March.

£221 including return of vehicle to the UK if required.

:cheers

Obvious (to me) question - don’t you get Euro cover as std with your breakdown and/or insurance?

What are the benefits of a separate policy?

Have a look at Nationwide Flexplus bank account - £13pcm.
We just have as an additional account but it comes with AA European Breakdown Assistance as well as travel insurance/mobile phone cover.

FYI, my annual renewal came through from the AA yesterday. Obvs silly increase. Went through the usual routine, call, discuss, threaten to cancel blah blah. They did reduce it quite a bit but not enough.

Cheapest way to add it to your van insurance. Costs about £100.

Out of interest have you tried VW Roadside Assistance?
my T5.1 is 12 yrs old now, couldn’t do it online but they offered it for another 12mths for £110 over the phone - I thought it was too good to offer with the full Euro cover.

Comfort Ins offer Euro cover for around £80 on top of their premium, inc returning vehicle to UK if req. for me they have also been the cheapest insurer.

Caravan Guard charged me £82 for EU insurance and breakdown cover.
In my experience I have always saved by having breakdown as an insurance add-on.

If you take out Barclays Worldwide Travel Pack insurance it comes with Aviva (travel) and the RAC for UK & European breakdown & recovery for £14.50 a month ...

Last edited:
But it seems that Barclays and Nationwide exclude recovering your vehicle back to the UK from Europe :eek:

But it seems that Barclays and Nationwide exclude recovering your vehicle back to the UK from Europe :eek:
Barclays use the RAC not AA and state that if your vehicle cannot be repaired locally they will pay to recover the vehicle to the UK up to the value of the £2,500 policy cover, see attached...

Screenshot_20240324-201230.png

Back