Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Briwy shelf / kitchen shelf - extra space or a waste of money??

C

Carter3

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
I’m thinking of buying the kitchen shelf or the briwy shelf. Has anyone had experience with one? I’m thinking the extra bit of workspace will be useful but not sure??

Best thing we ever bought! especially useful if you don't have the split glass lid to the sink / hob. It gives you somewhere to move all the stuff thats sitting on the glass top so you can open it.

I’m thinking of buying the kitchen shelf or the briwy shelf. Has anyone had experience with one? I’m thinking the extra bit of workspace will be useful but not sure??
I quite like the look of it. It requires you to turn the passenger seat however, which we often tend not to do, so not sure how often we would use one

We don't have one but it seems quite useful to me, although I do agree with @Camperfamily.

I think it would be a nice addition if the part that rest on the window sill was hinged. That would allow you to fold it and then fold the entire table exactly like the way the inside sliding table folds. That would make it possible to just leave it hanging on the side of the kitchen. Much easier to flip it up in place when parked/camping and flip it back down when going for a drive/driving. Would be nice to build a prototype, but the original VW hinge used on the sliding table that fits the kitchen rail costs too much money to make a nice little project out of it. Perhaps if I have time some day I migth look into making a DIY hinge.

Buy a tray or take less stuff!
We like to travel light, with minimal set up!

We find it handy as worktop space is so limited. When not in use it fits beautifully on the shelf in the RHS kitchen cupboard. It is nicely made. Very smooth, and fits its space like a glove.

What van do you have? I don’t believe the shelf fits the 6.1.

A tray would take up more space - travel light get the shelf
Even lighter, get the lid for the sink bowl and chopping board cover for the cutlery draw.

The Briwy shelf is brilliant, it is amazing how useful that little bit of extra space is, we also thought it would be a waste of money but we use it every trip, it's just part of the set up routine now

Even lighter, get the lid for the sink bowl and chopping board cover for the cutlery draw.

Yes got those already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 for the shelf.

i didn’t think it would be that useful but use it every time we’re away.

We've got the Briwy shelf and find it very handy. It lives in the seat pocket on the back of the passenger seat while in transit. The only problem is, it's surprising how often one of us opens the passenger door when the shelf is in place (we never open it otherwise) so I don't put liquid things on it unless we're both inside the van.

That is true we have it! Stays on the sink though, the tray goes over the fridge to move the books etc to get the milk out for the morning coffee in bed!

We've got the Briwy shelf and find it very handy. It lives in the seat pocket on the back of the passenger seat while in transit. The only problem is, it's surprising how often one of us opens the passenger door when the shelf is in place (we never open it otherwise) so I don't put liquid things on it unless we're both inside the van.
Same mistake. I’ve taped a warning sign to the shelf and flip it up so it’s visible through the window to remind me before I open the door.

We have one, and never use it. Just another place to put clutter. It’s in the box of “useful
Cali accessories” in the garage. The problem with a shelf is that it encourages people to leave stuff lying about. I say this as a scuba photographer (the most cluttered subspecies on the planet)...

Bought one and found it very useful extra space until....
you open passenger door and it busts off shedding stuff everywhere...! fortunately it wasn’t hot tea etc!

It slots into the kitchen unit channel on the left but is only kept in place on the right side by hooking over the door lock so the whole ensemble is pulled out if someone opens the door which is a huge design fault

I am tempted to persist however by adapting the fixing and hopefully improve the set up

After reading all these posts, I understood what you were talking about. Never knew it was called a Briwy Shelf.

Again, as with all things Cali, it depends on how/where you tend to use it.

For us, when we stop at a campsite or just for a cuppa, we only turn the passenger seat around (RHD UK vehicle). The shelf lives behind the drivers seat pocket. it is very easy to pull it out, plug it into place and rest my cuppa tea there. Works very well. Don't intend to use it for anything else. Works a treat.

I push the locking button down on the passenger door so that it can't be opened accidentally; the only trouble with that is, it reduces the height of the thing that's holding the shelf in place...

I push the locking button down on the passenger door so that it can't be opened accidentally; the only trouble with that is, it reduces the height of the thing that's holding the shelf in place...
Did the same and concluded the same...