Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Broken Flexi Reading Light

C

Charlie

Hi Everyone,
Our flexi reading light snapped off at the base during a trip to Europe in mid-October. We looked on the forum and realised that we were not alone and that several other owners had experienced the same problem. As our van was new in June 2013, we contacted our local dealer in Derby to get a replacement light ordered and repaired under warranty; however, as yet the new part has not arrived - still on back order. We were just wondering if anyone else was having problems with Cali spare parts and the reading light in particular. Thanks.

Hi Charlie

If you do a search on this site you will get lots of info. It is a conrad part and easily fitted (I repaired mine when it snapped off), just be careful not to let the wires touch or you will need a new fuse. I got fed up with the bendy light always being in the way so I've replaced it with a small LED swivel spot lamp. fitted to the same location. I haven't used it in anger yet but it looks really good and seems bright enough. Test next weekend on the south coast - hoping for dry weather.

Regards Ray

Thanks for your input Ray, much appreciated. We have heard from the dealership today that there is a long waiting list for the VW flexi lights, they are quoting a delivery date of at least March 2015. I guess they may be trying to redesign it or find a new supplier. At this stage I would rather get it repaired under warranty if possible, but may have to consider an alternative (as you suggest) if VW do let us down. Cheers.

We would like to join the My Bendy Light has dropped off Club ;-)
Ours just dropped off without even touching it. Looks like some kind of metal fatigue where it goes into the plastic mounting.

Booking it in for our first service now. Dash says 23 days to go. So hopefully get the light fixed under warranty at the same time.

Has there been an upgrade on the T6 bendy light?
Its a pain knowing that it will likely fail again, probably when we are on holiday.

Last edited:
We would like to join the My Bendy Light has dropped off Club ;-)
Ours just dropped off without even touching it. Looks like some kind of metal fatigue where it goes into the plastic mounting.

Booking it in for our first service now. Dash says 23 days to go. So hopefully get the light fixed under warranty at the same time.

Has there been an upgrade on the T6 bendy light?
Its a pain knowing that it will likely fail again, probably when we are on holiday.
The T6 doesn't have the bendy light any more (although the matress still has somewhere to stow it)! The light has been replaced by a 12V socket. The Ocean has LED roof lights and the Beach has a removable (usually by some toerag before delivery) LED bendy light that plugs into the 12V socket.

Perhaps I can talk them into doing me a 12volt socket as that could be handy.

Help please we are trying to see how you turn on the new Led bendy light. It does have a tiny Led in the top. But how is it turned on please???

Help please we are trying to see how you turn on the new Led bendy light. It does have a tiny Led in the top. But how is it turned on please???
Is this a new 'fixed' light or one that plugs into the 12V socket?

I don't know about the fixed ones but if it is a plug-in one then I believe it is the Osram unit. In that case there is an unmarked button switch on the back of the LED at the top end of the light. You can just feel a slight bump with your thumb. Press this to turn the light on or off. It is fiddly at first but you soon get the hang of where the button is.

Is this a new 'fixed' light or one that plugs into the 12V socket?

I don't know about the fixed ones but if it is a plug-in one then I believe it is the Osram unit. In that case there is an unmarked button switch on the back of the LED at the top end of the light. You can just feel a slight bump with your thumb. Press this to turn the light on or off. It is fiddly at first but you soon get the hang of where the button is.
Hi it is a fixed light I am at the dealers and even they don't know how to switch it on. Its the upgrade for the T5 model its Led and the old halogen one has been superseded.

Twisting the outer ring on the lamp turns it on...

Last edited:
Give us a picture !
It is a T6 ...in previous post you mention this ? Your verhicle details says T5

My vehicle is a T5. I had to leave while they wait for VW tech to answer.
The dealer says the old round headed bendy light has been discontinued and the new light which is LED with a tiny red Led on the top is now the same part number. The only thing is we could not see a switch. We took a look at a new T6 Ocean to see if that had one but that has a 12v socket now.

Sorry did not have a chance to take a pic as they put it back in the box. It looked different from the Osram Pilot available on Amazon.

So I will have to wait until they solve the mystery and then another trip to the dealer to get it sorted.

I will post a pic and result when its fixed.

I had mine swopped on warranty from the turn switch to this LED light. With mine you just tap the top and it comes on there is no visible switch to operate.

I had mine swopped on warranty from the turn switch to this LED light. With mine you just tap the top and it comes on there is no visible switch to operate.
Obviously a pressure or more likely an Induction switch. A bit like a touch screen.

Does it look like this?
upload_2016-4-13_20-4-15.png

upload_2016-4-13_20-6-10.png
If so, you touch the back of it behind the LEDs and it comes on. This is the type fitted in our 2015 Cali SE.
Hope this helps, Simon

Does it look like this?
View attachment 13249

View attachment 13250
If so, you touch the back of it behind the LEDs and it comes on. This is the type fitted in our 2015 Cali SE.
Hope this helps, Simon
Yes that's it. Thanks. I told the guy at the dealers perhaps its a touch light. He said no.
I then pushed a bit harder so he went and wired it to a 12v battery and he said it did not work. So will have to talk to them again in the morning and organise another visit to the dealer. Argghhhh

If my dealer could not figure out the reading light .....close the door when i leave and never go again.!
At least we know now how it works....:thumb

There's a bit of information about it here http://***************.com/product.php?prod=1367&cat=24
Search for "Volkswagen NEW LED Reading Light" in Google. We've found ours very good. You can accidently switch it on as you are lowering the bed & tucking the light away, but it doesn't get hot, unlike the previous version. Simon

Last edited:
There's a bit of information about it here http://***************.com/product.php?prod=1367&cat=24
Search for "Volkswagen NEW LED Reading Light" in Google. We've found ours very good. You can accidently switch it on as you are lowering the bed & tucking the light away, but it doesn't get hot, unlike the previous version. Simon
Thanks for the info Simon yes that's it. They could not work it out even when they hooked it up to a 12v battery. Perhaps it needed to be grounded somehow. Anyway its looks like a good light it will be fixed eventually.

Had my new replacement Bendy light fitted in today. It has been upgraded to touch sensitive LED.
Works a treat.

While I was at the dealers they say there was a recall flagged on my vehicle. Turned out VW have accepted the issue with the 'Pop out Light' on the tailgate. Mine has never popped out but they upgraded that for free too while I waited.

So if you take your vehicle in anywhere for a service be sure to ask if there are any recall notices on your vehicle they might upgrade your light while you wait.

That's providing they have the part in stock. My dealer only had 5 there were too many Transporters and Cali's etc to count. So, it will be a massive job to fix everyones tailgate light.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip on the high level brake light. I'll ask about that next time I'm passing the dealership.
Glad they got your bendy light sorted. Simon

Another flexi light failure and replaced with the LED option. Mine has a small red button on the rear and a helper bracket by the reinforced base. (Dealer let me moan away about the poor design of the original and didn't tell me about the improved version)

Rear brake light changed as part of the recall.

Latest member of My Bendy Light has dropped off Club ;-)

We have purchased a replacement but cannot find details of how to rewire it. Anyone got a link/guidance on how to do this. Want to avoid fuse issue referenced above.

Thanks

Can anybody tell and even show me a photo of what they have replaced their flexi reading light with. I am fed up with mine and am happy for it to be flexi (but not costing £84) or fixed. Thanks

Back