Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Broken handle wine bottle box

Granny O

Granny O

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
The handle of the wine bottle box is broken (we got the van second hand and didn’t even know about the box until I read about it on this forum!) How can I open it without the handle there - is there a knack to it?

Would you like to post a photo of the item you’re referring to?

I'm going to guess its the small optional drawer under the bench seat.

The fridge?!

I would guess it’s the “cupboard” below the gear lever in the centre of the cab. There is a place that can take a wine bottle - certainly there on the T6 not sure about the T6.1 but OP’s info states T6.
It’s a hinged affair that opens up for storage.

I love guessing games,......:)

I would guess it’s the “cupboard” below the gear lever in the centre of the cab. There is a place that can take a wine bottle - certainly there on the T6 not sure about the T6.1 but OP’s info states T6.
It’s a hinged affair that opens up for storage.
Exactly right! Would love to be able to open it.

Exactly right! Would love to be able to open it.
Sorry I can’t help much more, I don’t have a T6 anymore, but I wonder if you could open it using a trim tool or failing that a flat blade screwdriver wrapped in a thin but of cloth for protection.
I can’t remember the mechanism exactly, I think it has a handle in the middle which releases a catch, but not sure where the catch is. Sure someone else can help that currently has one. Just need to know where the catch mechanism is.

There’s a helpful exploded diagram in this thread @Granny O

I’ve got a 6.1 and the access is now not hinged, but a lift off panel, which is not very useful. You should be able to see the rear of the door/ panel from the boot side, to see what is going on.

I’ve got a 6.1 and the access is now not hinged, but a lift off panel, which is not very useful. You should be able to see the rear of the door/ panel from the boot side, to see what is going on.
We’re discussing the cubbyhole in the lower dash, (so that’s at the front) below the gearstick. It’s a place to store/slightly cool a wine bottle, runs from the same cooling as the glove box.

We’re discussing the cubbyhole in the lower dash, (so that’s at the front) below the gearstick. It’s a place to store/slightly cool a wine bottle, runs from the same cooling as the glove box.
Ah okay - not a feature on our van then.

There’s a bottle cooler in the dash if a 6.1?!

What are those tie downs on the rear seat rails, they look handy?

If people are looking for the wine cooler on their 6.1, I'm informed it never made it to the facelift.
one of the Cali YT channels (either California Time or Bus and Beyond) did a comparison video of the T6 and 6.1 cabs, and the verdict on the newer model was cheaper feeling plastics and less storage.

If people are looking for the wine cooler on their 6.1, I'm informed it never made it to the facelift.
one of the Cali YT channels (either California Time or Bus and Beyond) did a comparison video of the T6 and 6.1 cabs, and the verdict on the newer model was cheaper feeling plastics and less storage.
That will explain it! Looks like us 6.1‘ers will need to utilise the 42 litre wine cooler instead ;)

Back