Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Keyless security (RFID) signal blocker box?

Gelato

Gelato

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Neighbours had his work van broken into, sadly £2.5K of tools taken. He mentioned how they now have 'ghost' keys where they can copy your keyless fob signal and best to get a car key fob signal blocker box (RFID). Our Cali has an immobiliser and tracker but still wondered if worth getting, our other little car has a keyless fob? Anyone know about these or offer any advice?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083GGW4YX/?tag=eliteelect-21

As the keys are looking for your car that I believe is how they copy the signal , on my Lexus you press two buttons together and it stops it giving the signal away, when you go to your car press any button and it reactivates it again, saves the hassle and expense of another box to put your key in , perhaps you can do this on the VW ?

As the keys are looking for your car that I believe is how they copy the signal , on my Lexus you press two buttons together and it stops it giving the signal away, when you go to your car press any button and it reactivates it again, saves the hassle and expense of another box to put your key in , perhaps you can do this on the VW ?
Don’t understand how the keys work really, neighbour has a pretty basic van, he was just saying how they opened his car with a ghost key, which copied your key signal. Don’t know what system his key was Loz mentions ‘KESSY’, I thought all car/van key fob remotes were the same to lock/open your vehicle!

no, we don't have that. they only emit a signal to unlock when you press the fob.

I got one of these as someone I know had their bmw stolen off his drive in less than a minute via a cloned key. Watched it back on his cctv. Police said to get one of these boxes so I’ve done the same. Not relevant for the California though as they don’t have keyless anything as far as I’m aware

The effectiveness of the box can be tested by putting your key in it and walking up to the car and see if you can get in.
Must put your keys in every night though!

£18 seems a lot to spend on what is essentially a metal box. There are options that cost less, for example, products shown here: https://products.carmagazine.co.uk/car-accessories/technology/rfid-key-pouches/. Alternatively, aluminium foil may suffice (although not very robust). Keeping your keys in this Faraday cage like enclosure will mean that they will be harder to clone. However, your keys will still be vulnerable when locking or unlocking your vehicle.

How do you start your VW? I use a key. Therefore it is not keyless. Different system.

You can get key wallets that block the signal. Other than that keep your key upstairs at the back of the house. Or in the microwave.
The more solid things the signal has to get through the better.
Most people keep their keys near the front door so the signal can be picked up quite easily.

Our Touareg had keyless open and start so since then we use a metal wall mounted key safe, secure and shielded.

Recently (very recently) two cars were stolen on one night in our road, apparently to orde, a big BMW and a Merc. Both new and keyless. Another one taken round the corner on the same night. All recorded on local Ring and other cameras but too dark to see any details. We had obviously been sussed out before hand.
On the basis that even a van as old as mine is relatively valuable I, and a number of others, have been out and got a steering wheel lock from Halfords.
I know we just have key locking but this give peace of mind if nothing else!

The idea behind such an attack is pretty easy, they effectively 'extend' the range of your key, a similar approach can be used for the payless payments, or at least could have been used a while ago. What it requires is someone with adequate tools (v expensive stuff) getting close enough to your key, to read its signal and send it to another device, which immediately broadcasts it further. Since all the transmission is just passed from the key and back, you don't need to break any codes etc. You can think of it as plugging a powerful antenna to the key. Although it works wirelessly so you don't need physical access to the key, Anyway, AFAIK no California has any option of keyless system in place, so no risk.

Btw. what kind of tracker are you using? Is it something you have isntalled on your own?

The idea behind such an attack is pretty easy, they effectively 'extend' the range of your key, a similar approach can be used for the payless payments, or at least could have been used a while ago. What it requires is someone with adequate tools (v expensive stuff) getting close enough to your key, to read its signal and send it to another device, which immediately broadcasts it further. Since all the transmission is just passed from the key and back, you don't need to break any codes etc. You can think of it as plugging a powerful antenna to the key. Although it works wirelessly so you don't need physical access to the key, Anyway, AFAIK no California has any option of keyless system in place, so no risk.

Btw. what kind of tracker are you using? Is it something you have isntalled on your own?
We had a Scorpian tracker fitted

Back