Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Broken part

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
This part dropped into the drivers side footwell when I was changing settings on the climate control. I think it’s probably something that controls the vent flaps? Looks to be broken. Booked into Citygate for a warranty repair. Anybody else had this? Is it a dashboard out job !!!

17F8BF9A-FE2B-4DD0-85F4-D053328BD64B.jpeg

8634EE18-ED90-4B22-B9AA-2F10C97D4760.jpeg

533259F7-7E2C-45E7-A05A-B6C20FD8F646.jpeg

Think it might well be a dashboard out repair. Looking up from floor level at the side of the brake pedal I think I can see the area where the part has come from. Looks difficult to get to. Probably a replacement of the complete assembly.

DDDEADB5-1A58-43FC-AA85-D23282056E26.jpeg

Hi GG ,

it looks like a actuator arm.

keep the thread updated

Hi GG ,

it looks like a actuator arm.

keep the thread updated
Yes, that’s exactly what it is @Perfectos.
Will certainly keep the thread updated.
Just hoping that they won’t need to keep the van for an extended period as we have a few trips planned. We can live with it so might have to hold back on the repair to suit our calendar?

Yes, that’s exactly what it is @Perfectos.
Will certainly keep the thread updated.
Just hoping that they won’t need to keep the van for an extended period as we have a few trips planned. We can live with it so might have to hold back on the repair to suit our calendar?
Give them a call,

for a heads up with your dates, send your photos to Cliff or Craig

Craig should know exactly what needs to be done, he’s quite happy having a chat if you need to

PM me if you need email details for either (phone after you email, they rarely see an email unless you call them to say you’ve sent one)

Give them a call,

for a heads up with your dates, send your photos to Cliff or Craig

Craig should know exactly what needs to be done, he’s quite happy having a chat if you need to

PM me if you need email details for either (phone after you email, they rarely see an email unless you call them to say you’ve sent one)
Thanks @Perfectos

Update on this situation. Spoken to Stuart at Citygate and he advised that they’ve done 4 or 5 of these repairs in the last month! They have spares kits from VW that include all of the various components so, unusually, they repair rather than swap the entire heater unit.

Apparently not a full dashboard removal either - hooray :) Stuart reckons on about 3 or 4 hours.

No need for me to remove wiring for Tracker or Dashcam however earlier advice was that I should so I removed Tracker wiring and partially removed Dashcam wiring. Oh well.

They are also going to supply a left hand kitchen door catch under warranty but i’ve asked them not to fit it. I’ll do that if or when my recently repaired catch fails. Nice to have a spare :)

Lastly, I mentioned that now and again I get the SOS button issue and various random electronic glitches on parking sensors, side assist, ACC, etc. These are rare and are usually ‘fixed’ with a restart of the van. Stuart advised that there is a significant software update for early MY21 vans (those made in 2020). He’s checking on mine and if needed will do the update when it’s in for the other work.

Have to say that Citygate Wooburn Green have once again been brilliant so far.

Repair is booked for Monday 25th. I’ll update again then.

Update.
Stuart the Master Tech says that unusually, two parts have broken in my heater (they normally see just one). The second broken part is unfortunately on back order, so repair couldn’t be completed today. Van needs to be rebooked.
Software update is also required but to save me from hanging about today will be done when it’s in for the heater repair (my suggestion).
Great service and feedback from Citygate.

PS New cupboard catch supplied. Offered to fit it but I declined. Keeping as spare :)

Last edited:
Citygate called yesterday morning to advise that the spare parts that were on back order had arrived. Only 1 week so not at all bad. They could have completed the repair this week but that didn’t suit our calendar so booked in for 22nd. Thumbs up for Citygate again.

Last edited:
My Cali is now in the capable hands of Craig at Citygate for the heater/aircon repair:)

So, I’m driving a brand new blue Transporter loan vehicle for a few days. Interesting that it has the SOS button problem (red led). Neither a restart nor making and cancelling a call fixes it. Assuming this van has the very latest software it would appear that VW hasn’t fixed this well known issue yet?

My Cali is now in the capable hands of Craig at Citygate for the heater/aircon repair:)

So, I’m driving a brand new blue Transporter loan vehicle for a few days. Interesting that it has the SOS button problem (red led). Neither a restart nor making and cancelling a call fixes it. Assuming this van has the very latest software it would appear that VW hasn’t fixed this well known issue yet?
Hooray! Now have my Cali back after 3 days at Citygate. Had a good chat with Craig when I collected it. It was a complete dashboard removal and a replacement of the top assembly of the heater/aircon control unit. Significant undertaking to remove and refit the entire dashboard but I have to say Craig did a fantastic job of it.
Big thumbs up again for Craig and the Service team who I dealt with.

Back