Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying a California DSG or Manual

Stu said:
On paper yes but in everyday real world driving and for most people that's not going to be the case IMHO.

I do hear the advantages of DSG but the reason I get a little argumentative about it is that there seems to be an assumption among those with it that's it's somehow "better" maybe because it costs more? As I've said a few times, I looked only at manual Calis - simply a preference, that's all.

I don't consider DSGs to be better or worse - just different.

I have had very many cars in my time, some pretty wild and powerful. Had never driven anything but manual boxes until I got my 180DSG....having done almost 50k miles in a little over two years mostly round Europe on mixed terrain, I think it's superb......

KernowLad said:
Stu said:
seems to be an assumption among those with it that's it's somehow "better" maybe because it costs more?

I don't know that I could agree with that statement.

Having driven the A4 & A6 with a 3.0 V6 TDi and manual box it's my view that it just doesn't suit it equally there are engines where I don't think DSG is suited.

It's not price/cost related. It's preference.

I see both sides.

Loved stick for yrs but the dsg got my vote after a couple of months.

Depends what you want.

Golf R you want it to be as quick as poss = dsg/s-tronic.

The lovely Cali is all personal pref. :grin:

Just don't Google:

dsg gearbox problems

169,000 hits

Runs away... ;)

Carr - DSG does seem to make the R quicker. 5.5 to 60 is pretty handy. Think the AWD helps a fair bit. Makes some cars slower - it's a bit random.

New Audi 3.0biTDI looks handy. They've finally made a six pot diesel that's more pokey than a BM 35d unit :D About the same as the 40d one.

APR UK's Golf R

golf-r-0-60-579x432.jpg

I've heard of the RS3 seeing sub 3 seconds with REVO software. :laugh2

The most common DSG issue arises from the failure of the Mechatronics unit and was largely fixed under warranty by VAG.

8.4s to 100!!! :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked

A hatch that our accelerates a Merc SLS - very cool!

Seen crazy numbers with tuned RS3s but didn't realise the R could be made so quick.

I am definitely tempted as a next car - as standard it's very similar to our current BM for numbers but probably works a wee bit better in snow and ice :lol:

KernowLad said:

Seen crazy numbers with tuned RS3s but didn't realise the R could be made so quick.

And it's DSG :rofl :barmy

Revised APR software is impressive. I hear Revo have a new code for the 2ltr.

Come on fella go get a dsg R you know you want to lol.. :grin:

Stu said:
KernowLad said:

And it's DSG :rofl :barmy

So it won't last long.... ;) :D

One of the guys with APR TTRS has munched his 7spd dsg already. Warranty? No :headwall

I'll give it a good go. :grin:

Jonny Cocker has done an engine and a gearbox I think, but he's pushing to extremes. There is the other guy who is reputed to have done his gearbox at Santa Pod by changing down instead of up but I think that was a manual box.

JonnyC was in bed with Revo but he's now APR and probably hoping for a drive with them whn his current arrangement expires.

Definitely tempted by the R but I am a bit of a tuning wuss.

£400ish gets me 350bhp/510lbs-ft but I'm certain I'd lunch my drivetrain!

Stu said:
Jonny Cocker has done an engine and a gearbox I think, but he's pushing to extremes. There is the other guy who is reputed to have done his gearbox at Santa Pod by changing down instead of up but I think that was a manual box.

JonnyC was in bed with Revo but he's now APR and probably hoping for a drive with them whn his current arrangement expires.

Jonnys stick and yeah now in bed with APR big time.

Jay (pov) is dsg

KernowLad said:
Definitely tempted by the R but I am a bit of a tuning wuss.

£400ish gets me 350bhp/510lbs-ft but I'm certain I'd lunch my drivetrain!

Na it will be fine Mate..

Back