Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Decided to buy a Cali, manual or DSG?

B

bazza

We have been looking to buy a campervan for over a year now and decided 2016 will be the year to buy one, we have decided on a Cali after looking at numerous conversions and the Cali ticks all the boxes for us. We have been through the options list with a fine tooth comb but still undecided on manual or auto. I have always had manuals but like the idea of a DSG on long journeys but I am concerned about the delay fault. Also do you think the moulding problem will be resolved by the time we receive ours which we are hoping will be in the spring?

Merry Xmas

Barry and Angela

We have been looking to buy a campervan for over a year now and decided 2016 will be the year to buy one, we have decided on a Cali after looking at numerous conversions and the Cali ticks all the boxes for us. We have been through the options list with a fine tooth comb but still undecided on manual or auto. I have always had manuals but like the idea of a DSG on long journeys but I am concerned about the delay fault. Also do you think the moulding problem will be resolved by the time we receive ours which we are hoping will be in the spring?

Merry Xmas

Barry and Angela

We just got a 204 Ocean DSG.

It's brilliant takes the stress out of driving a bigger vehicle around town too. As this my 1st non manual car I just figure I need to learn how to get the best out of the DSG. No real concerns without it at all.

Try searching the forum DSG vs. Manual .....
Been discussed before....always pro and con's.
Go for what you think is best for you , starting a new discussing will not help in you decision becouse the tread will go on and on....take my word ...;)
Like Beach vs. SE/Ocean...:headbang

Also do you think the moulding problem will be resolved by the time we receive ours which we are hoping will be in the spring?

No

Like you bazza, I have always driven manuals. I hired a T5 panel van for a 4 day weekend to see how they drove and find out more about them. It was a manual box and I found that on A roads and below I was going up and down the gear box to stay in the "right" gear.
I saw our demonstrator van with a DSG box and took it out, a bit apprehensively. I don't find the delay a problem as it generally only happens in certain situations. If you read the article on the gearbox that Welsh Gas pointed out it explains why it happens. If you come up to traffic lights and approach them so the gear box "knows" you intend to accelerate it will be ready. I now love the DSG box. In traffic jams it is a boon, on most roads it makes life a lot easier and I understand it can be better for fuel economy as it is in the correct gear.
There is a full explanation here & if you read the 3rd posting by Welsh Gas he has a link.
http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/delay-when-pulling-away.12360/

Hope this helps. Simon

Merry Xmas

Barry and Angela
Get a Cali, they are the best.
Get a dsg, they are the best.
I have a new DSG and have never noticed any delay.
Don't waste any time worrying about the moulding fault. Your new Cali will probably have it but it will not stop you enjoying your new vehicle.

Get a Cali, they are the best.
Get a dsg, they are the best.
I have a new DSG and have never noticed any delay.
Don't waste any time worrying about the moulding fault. Your new Cali will probably have it but it will not stop you enjoying your new vehicle.
Ditto! And Merry Christmas. Had DSG for years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DSG.
My first auto to, I love driving, and have a little sports car with gears, and the gear shift is part of the fun.
I hired a manual Cali in the summer, but have now bought a DSG. It is a dream to drive
You can spend more time enjoying the view from high up
And abroad, those awkward little moments on the wrong side of the road......it is just one less thing to think about....and I kept forgetting 6 th gear in the manual .
But each to there own, slightly better fuel with the lighter manual.

And the moulding thing,,,,,,is it really a fault. I didn't even know it was there till I read about it. The panel is solid, forget it.

The roof corrosion, now that is a different thing, and good reason for a later version...for me.....I hope mine is ok, a 2015.

And
I think you may find a good value late T5. Now the T6 is here.
And in my opinion there isn't really a lot of difference .

The VW website vans are seriously overpriced. I think the dealers keep the price high to make people think they are worth more, and catch those who don't care about money,,,,,but you can push some great deals, up to 20 %.

And on this site, much as I love the guys and gals, some of the second hand vans here are overpriced and have been up for sale for a very long time, and when folks get their T6s there will be more.

In the end it's not about money, or some silly little detail, the Cali experience is so much fun, so much freedo,.
Leave your head at the door, and let your heart enjoy the van, enjoy the journey.

Mine has been built and in the UK now for Jan delivery - if mine does not have the moulding fault i will be disappointed - life is toooooooo short

some of the second hand vans here are overpriced and have been up for sale for a very long time, and when folks get their T6s there will be more.

So right. There are even 3 'Smurfs' for sale at the moment.
And a beauty Grey 140 SE Cali, 2011 with 13k miles just been added to autotrader for £31k. Only those confident of their man-hood need apply though as it's in the 'MOTORHOME' section!!

+1 for DSG

Like many have also mentioned, I've also only previously driven a manual but this is something else. Don't confuse it with an automatic, this thing has ESP for getting the correct up shift *and* down which means you always feel sure footed (and never in too high a gear on bends and roundabouts!)

Whether is as useful in a regular car idk but 3 tonnes in the Cornish country lanes or City traffic and you'll be glad of DSG!

Only you can decide not others on a forum, try them both at a dealers and pick one. Forget about the moulding, it's trivial.

The hardest bit about the moulding problem is to actually know you have it. It does nothing but sit there quietly and interferes with nowt.

The next hardest bit about the moulding problem is then trying not to spot it after someone has told you it's there :eek:

DSG just makes life so easy. The lag is a feature of the vehicle, as is turbo lag on others, missing 3rd and 4ths on manual boxes with others, bits of trim that push your foot off the clutch when trying to drive a mountain rescue LR ambulance or the boozed up old tart that get's in the way of the good doctor trying to shift his Tardis out of park when dematerialising. You get used to it and adapt accordingly.

The choice is yours and whatever your choice you are still buying the best, most competent and most enjoyable vehicle on the market ...

imo of course, but two years on and the love grows stronger.

Back