Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying a California DSG or Manual

L

Larry

I am looking to purchase a California from my local dealer he has only got a manual I would normally drive an auto apart from the obvious would it be better to keep looking for an auto or are manuals better ? and which one would be more sort after if sold?

DSG vans are generally a little harder to come by and of course are more expensive as the DSG gearbox carries a premium.

DSG is not everyones cup of tea. Me, well I love it but I took a manual van because of availability and good price. I've had two S-Tronic (Audi speak for DSG) cars.

If you were to factory order a DSG van then I'm lead to believe that lead times are quite long. You probably wouldn't see it this year unless something changes with DSG production.

I'm told production of the Electronic Control Units for DSG was affected by the Japanese disaster.

Also when buying a Cali you need to search far and wide, relying on a local dealer could very well limit the possibilities.

Stu speaks wise words - the DSG box is loved my most but doesn't suit all, us included. There is a slight mpg and weight penalty as well as a tiny performance drop (really tiny) but there's no doubt it is a very good example of a semi auto 'box.

We tried a DSG when hiring a Cali for a week, it is my preferred choice and we loved it. Made the whole driving experience so much more relaxing.

It's a very personal decision

I went dsg 180 having tried both boxes. DSG is not perfect but I preferred it as I am used to petrol v8 cars and I loathe the low rev limit of diesel engines, and the corresponding need to change gear regularly to get any performance out of an oil burner. I was also determined not to be a selfish caravanner or motor home driver hogging the roads, driving slowly and ruining the journey for other motorists.

I would suggest you try both and then make an informed decision. When I got my 61 plate in march, there were a number of delivery miles pre registered vehicles in the uk, so is worth making enquiries about these.

I've driven the 180 in both manual and DSG. I bought a DSG as it makes for a more relaxing journey for me. The manual is perfectly good - it is a matter of preference, driving style (it is a van at the end of the day...) and availaibility. If you plan to keep the machine for a long period, a long(ish) wait now isn't so bad... :cool:

Good luck with your choice.

I went for manual on the basis that we're planning to keep the Cali and I've had a couple of mates with DSG 'boxes that c60K cost £4K to fix... silly but it scared me esp as we do a fair bit of towing.

I did get a little go in a DSG transporter and yes it was very nice and relaxed to drive ,but as stu said with the supply being next to nothing and we wanted one and i did get a great deal on a berghaus then the manual was a good option..... i'm still not totally sold on the DSG ,as i've always been a manual boy and if i had even less to do while driving the cali then i may fall asleep :rofl
Also i struggled slightly more with parking etc with the DSG more ,as i seemed to feel more in control with a clutch under my foot :thumb

I had got used to driving an automatic for my last three cars (BMW 530i, 530d and X5) but decided to give a manual a try to see what it was like to drive (to broaden my buying choice). I hired one for a weekend and although it was fine, I did seem to be changing gears a lot (I think it was a 140PS model so 180PS probably better). But the clincher for me was the handbrake. I am (I think!) average height for a fella at 5'10", with normal lengths arms, but it was just such a long way down to reach the handbrake for hill-starts. When I drove the DSG I know it was the right choice for me - very smooth and relaxed drive.
Cheers,
--Nick

nickstjt said:
I had got used to driving an automatic for my last three cars (BMW 530i, 530d and X5) but decided to give a manual a try to see what it was like to drive (to broaden my buying choice). I hired one for a weekend and although it was fine, I did seem to be changing gears a lot (I think it was a 140PS model so 180PS probably better). But the clincher for me was the handbrake. I am (I think!) average height for a fella at 5'10", with normal lengths arms, but it was just such a long way down to reach the handbrake for hill-starts. When I drove the DSG I know it was the right choice for me - very smooth and relaxed drive.
Cheers,
--Nick

good call on the hill start and handbrake gets in the way when turning the drivers seat round.
my 180 has hill assist ,so no problems with hill starts :thumb ..
All my cars as a lad where no brainers of being manual ,as i loved my gti's ,turbo's and RS's ,so having an auto was not a sporty choice ... I know DSG is now more like a manual box and doesn't feel like a horrid auto ,but maybe being 40 and still have that little bit of fire in my belly i'm not quite ready for a totally automated way of driving ( if you know what i mean) .. Before you say it :grin: i know most if not all supercars have auto ,but my berghaus didn't have the option and the wife even though she is older than me loves using the gears. :D

Interesting you mention the handbrake. I would agree and it is a shame VW do not offer an electronic parking brake. Perhaps that is the age of the T5.

I would have taken an Auto - although that means a slight drop in fuel. But the Beach in the UK is not available with the DSG (yet!)

James

Custard said:
Interesting you mention the handbrake. I would agree and it is a shame VW do not offer an electronic parking brake. Perhaps that is the age of the T5.

I would have taken an Auto - although that means a slight drop in fuel. But the Beach in the UK is not available with the DSG (yet!)

James

You don't need a dsg James your only about 18 and need to keep your mind active ..:) lol

I used to be enthusiastic about driving and would never consider an automatic until I had one for a few months while in the USA on business. I was converted - it was so much more relaxing. Even though all my autos have been BMWs, I almost never used manual mode, just the odd flick into sport mode for overtaking or a bit of fun at traffic lights.

Agree that an electronic handbrake would be good. Better still an automatic one (so you don't need to keep your foot on the brake pedal when stationary).

Biggest gripe so far about DSG is that you can't see the selector indicator as it is on the wrong side of the stick! Clearly designed for LHD. Yes, I know you can read it on the dash too but it is a bit dumb!
--Nick

choplee said:
Custard said:

James

You don't need a dsg James your only about 18 and need to keep your mind active ..:) lol

i am flattered Lee by your age related remark but I am 37 and three quarters :)

Oh - I am at UPG Printers tomorrow for the stickers - going to get there for about 8 ish :)

The 7spd S-tronic in my Audi converted me. For performance you could never change that quick.
DSG will be the choice on our Cali its nice and relaxing... Oh now I'm getting old. :D

Yes it would be great in the Cali. Apparently some VAG cars have this so they have the technology.
Maybe they'll put it on when they increase the price hugely to soften the blow.

Auto boxes have come a long way in the last 10 years. Most trucks now come with semi-auto boxes as standard. Most still have clutch & shift lever that are computer controlled similar to the DSG.

I really don't like electronic handbrakes at all.

KernowLad said:
I really don't like electronic handbrakes at all.

I couldn't get to grips with it at first but now I'm full circle and I love it.

wasn't to fussed about the electronic handbrake on our a4 allroad and i absolutely hated the stop/start is was dangerous and as was the silly fob key used to try and start the dam car ...

good old fashioned gears with a handbrake you can feel and a 1-2-3 metal key ignition gets me every time ... :thumb :barmy

choplee said:
wasn't to fussed about the electronic handbrake on our a4 allroad and i absolutely hated the stop/start is was dangerous and as was the silly fob key used to try and start the dam car ...

good old fashioned gears with a handbrake you can feel and a 1-2-3 metal key ignition gets me every time ... :thumb :barmy

When the van was in after I destroyed the clutch.... sigh...

VW gave us an Insignia Estate - auto - nice on the motorway but the auto was dimwitted around town becoming confused about what gear it want.

It had an electronic parking break, a simple switch and hill hold. That worked really well. I am not keen on the hill hold in the Van, and the start stop is okay but I am not sure what you really get out of it. Doesn't work with the air con on either - which I understand why, needing more power to start etc.

James

I test drove a BMW 750i for the Independent. Great car apart from the electronic handbrake!!

Strangely our "drivers" car, a 335d is auto only (apparently the manual can't handle the torque!) but it's a very good 6 speed ZF box. Does a very good job and rarely gets it wrong and flappy paddles are there for very quick down changes. Suits the engine though.

With the van, it'll be used on fairly off road terrain so we wanted full control. And I really like the manual box with dash mounted gearstick - was a fan of it as soon as the T5 came out.

DSG is very popular but even with a super quick box something like the Golf R (under consideration), I'd want manual. Full auto or full manual for me - not yet convinced by "in between" boxes despite widespread use by all sorts of marques including Bugatti and Ferrari!!

KernowLad said:
DSG is very popular but even with a super quick box something like the Golf R (under consideration), I'd want manual. Full auto or full manual for me - not yet convinced by "in between" boxes despite widespread use by all sorts of marques including Bugatti and Ferrari!!

I have the 7 Speed in my A4 3.0 Tdi and it's great.

I'd test the DSG & Manual before committing that kind of wedge. I don't think any manual box will shift as quickly and effortlessly. Then you throw launch control into the mix and nothing will touch it.

Nothing like the DSG v Manual question to get the comments flowing ........... :barmy

Stu said:
KernowLad said:

I have the 7 Speed in my A4 3.0 Tdi and it's great.

I'd test the DSG & Manual before committing that kind of wedge. I don't think any manual box will shift as quickly and effortlessly. Then you throw launch control into the mix and nothing will touch it.

Yet the DSG is slower to 60... :crazy

On paper yes but in everyday real world driving and for most people that's not going to be the case IMHO.

Back