Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying a coffee from a coffee shop

Last edited:
When we first purchased our Cali we thought it would be the end of buying expensive coffee from coffee shops and motorway services as we would just make our own cuppa in the van , however the novelty has since warn off.

All the hassle of turning on the gas and waiting for the kettle to boil and then cleaning the cups and spoons, it was just a faff. It's the same with making sandwiches on the move , we always planned to buy a loaf of bread and some filling and make them in the van but it's just easy to buy pre packed sandwiches or from the bakers.

Don't get me wrong, we still cook and make tea when camping but not when traveling however we still feel guilty for doing this.

I know what you mean about the hassle. We keep a flask of hot water with us and use plastic cups. Sandwiches can be made before leaving home or on the camp site. You can also do meals on paper plates. I feel guilty being lazy but a bacon butty bought along the way is always heaven and my treat to me.

Reminds me of the first time I messaged my kids with a pic of us saving money brewing tea and making sandwiches in a motorway service area. The reply was ‘oh great! Another 25,000 stops and it’ll have paid for itself’

I am under the impression that you are not allowed to use gas in UK motorway services, am I wrong? We take 2 thermos of hot water and coffee filter cones as I do not like the coffee available. When I travel by myself I also prefer to stay in the van.

Last edited:
When we first purchased our Cali we thought it would be the end of buying expensive coffee from coffee shops and motorway services as we would just make our own cuppa in the van , however the novelty has since warn off.

All the hassle of turning on the gas and waiting for the kettle to boil and then cleaning the cups and spoons, it was just a faff. It's the same with making sandwiches on the move , we always planned to buy a loaf of bread and some filling and make them in the van but it's just easy to buy pre packed sandwiches or from the bakers.

Don't get me wrong, we still cook and make tea when camping but not when traveling however we still feel guilty for doing this.
I hear you and understand completely; howEEEVER, when we pull into a petrol station which features a counter filled with goodies from from Paul somethingoranother, and I see the prices...
When preparing breakfast, I always make our sandwiches for the day's journey ahead. Coffee in one thermos and tea in the other. Plus sundries to tease the tastebuds and chocolate; well, because I love them. We'll stop after 4hrs at a lovely Aire toto let the pack out and have lunch. I grew up camping with my family and Boy's Scouts, so I rather enjoy it. Same goes for the evening meals, but we always have one big bang up eating out meal. Yum yum.

I hear you and understand completely; howEEEVER, when we pull into a petrol station which features a counter filled with goodies from from Paul somethingoranother, and I see the prices...
When preparing breakfast, I always make our sandwiches for the day's journey ahead. Coffee in one thermos and tea in the other. Plus sundries to tease the tastebuds and chocolate; well, because I love them. We'll stop after 4hrs at a lovely Aire toto let the pack out and have lunch. I grew up camping with my family and Boy's Scouts, so I rather enjoy it. Same goes for the evening meals, but we always have one big bang up eating out meal. Yum yum.

We use an Alpkit Brukit which we keep in the van for making a cuppa without the hassle of using the main gas.
Great bit of kit. Here’s using mine whilst touring the Netherlands - great place for cycling too :)

A15F4E18-1C7B-4F39-A770-A0C38EBC4716.jpeg

We stopped for breakfast at a motorway service in Central France on Thursday. €5.80 for a tea, coffee or juice, croissant or pain au chocolate and a teeny weeny bread roll, pat of butter and plum jam.

€23.20 for the four of us.

How much would it be for four croissants, a loaf of bread, a litre of cheap juice, butter and a pot of jam? We’d have had a much bigger breakfast and some butter and jam left over for the next day and the day after that.

Back