Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying a new T6 Conundrum

fozzybear

fozzybear

fozzybear63
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi, been considering buying a new T6 for sometime as my current T5 California does not entirely fit the bill. Current vehicle is a 2012 180BHP, manual, salsa red, 19k miles and in excellent condition. Am I being mad considering a new vehicle. I rather fancy a 204/150DSG with some extras but getting put off slightly with trying to get what I believe is a good deal. If I could possibly get hold of a demonstrator and sell mine for a good price, I think that this is the way to go.

I am guessing there are a lot of differing views on a new purchase versus keeping with what you got. If anyone has some good advice it would be greatly appreciated.

In what way does what you have now not fit the bill?

If i could sell my 2012 SE 140bhp DSG at a good price i also would love a new T6 .
Thing is you need a lot of money to trow on top to get a T6 , even demo's as prices are gone way up and there's a waittinglist for neworders.

I conciderd it and i needed 20.000€ on top...my T5 will do fine the next few years i think.

Still pondering the idea that the T6 would be a good option. Been looking at a T6, 204 DSg with soem nice extras but when discussed a p/e value selling me through VW did not not it viable. Have a summer trip planned in August in the Cali and until back mine won't be available. Can anyone advise on what sort of money I would get for mine; 2012 SE, 180BHP, Salsa Red, ~20k on clock, lane change assist, cruise control, visibility pack, parking sensors (rear & back), electric door, option for 5th seat, privacy glass and DAB. The van is in immaculate condition and fully up to date with servicing and MOT.

Maybe look at the Cali's for sale on this forum ,VW used california & autotrader.

@Kevin Fossali : Mid thirties. Such low mileage is not a feature really. Red's don't seem to be selling very quickly although I love them.
Not sure what gap that leaves you to a new 204 T6, (25k?) but I bet it feels a lot for a face-lift of what you've got, given yours is still pristine.

Last edited:
We sold our 2012 I80 and replaced with a T6 at the end of last year but we used our van as a daily drive and had run her for 63k we only moved to a T6 because that was the current model Cali and the extendable to 5 year cover offered us trouble free (fairly) motoring for the next 80k miles. When looking at what we got for our 2012 divided by the years owned and the miles travelled I was happy to pay the difference to get a new van. (our Cali costing/loosing us less than all over cars/vans I have owned) However in my humble view for you only covering 20k since 2012 the cost of your 180 in real terms will make your years of ownership more expensive. I would ask myself is ii worth trading up with only 20k on your clock.

re your van

for some positives +
  • Millage
  • excellent condition
for some negatives -
  • Manual
  • out of warranty

Last edited:
Back