Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying a new California 6.1 Ocean - any good deals out there?

That's not strictly true; there is at least one significant physical difference beyond the mapping and that's the fact the 204 is a bi-turbo. The fact the engine has been designed for increased power will mean it is likely to always struggle to match a 150 for economy in like-for-like situations, albeit the differences might not be huge.

With all that said, I do appreciate the extra flexibility that engine would provide though and I have absolutely no doubt it drives better, it's just like anything, there are compromises. :)
All I know is we tow, so def need it and when not towing on runs that computer figure is starting with the magical number 4 so am happy. Best of both worlds.

That's not strictly true; there is at least one significant physical difference beyond the mapping and that's the fact the 204 is a bi-turbo. The fact the engine has been designed for increased power will mean it is likely to always struggle to match a 150 for economy in like-for-like situations, albeit the differences might not be huge.

With all that said, I do appreciate the extra flexibility that engine would provide though and I have absolutely no doubt it drives better, it's just like anything, there are compromises. :)
Having had both 150 and 204, the difference in mpg is negligible. Both 2wd though. 4mo might be less economical.

Okay, I'm getting there. Couple of questions:
- differences between 150PS and 204PS (apart from the obvious)
- is the Sports package worth having?
- is Art velour seating worth having?
Thanks everyone!
The Sports Package also includes the Heated Front Screen.

Having had both, I’d recommend the 204. If I didn’t have a need for an occasional 5th seat, I’d also have gone 4motion.

Found the 150 engine sluggish and went for the 204 4M. Wanted 17” wheels so Sports packs was out - also went for all season tyres which have a softer ride. Expensive option, but DCC (Dynamic Chassis Control) reduces the bumps over pot holes and traffic calming. I have Art Velour, however prefer the downstairs bed with the standard seats for comfort.

Take a look at Seat Surgeons for seat covers. Cover the floors (inc garage with fitted mats) - I also have Dunelm sacrificial mats over the top which I can easily remove.

Mine maybe up for sale due to my other half recently being diagnosed with cancer and she wasn’t as enthusiastic as me to buy one in the first place so even less interested now with all the chemotherapy appointments. Its only done around 350 miles and I’ve had it 2 months and that includes the 150 miles collecting it from Poole.

It is a 204 4Motion in Ascot with Sports pack and spec’d with virtually every option. Plus I’ve had it PPF’d and ceramic coated.

After much thought I am close to buying a new 6.1 Ocean. I was considering waiting for a new T7 but hopefully will get a better deal on one of the last 6.1s. I am aware of DrivetheDeal but has anyone seen any particularly good offers on new Oceans? Not over-stressed about specific colour or 'extras'. Anything else I should be aware of?
Thinking of selling our 2023 Cali Ocean as we have just bought a caravan (Swift Basecamp4). The Ocean tows the caravan with ease (150HP) but is a bit of a luxury keeping it. Cherry Red, 7800 miles, still has 2 free services. Detachable tow bar fitted and full set of seat covers. Located near Chester.

After much thought I am close to buying a new 6.1 Ocean. I was considering waiting for a new T7 but hopefully will get a better deal on one of the last 6.1s. I am aware of DrivetheDeal but has anyone seen any particularly good offers on new Oceans? Not over-stressed about specific colour or 'extras'. Anything else I should be aware of?
Just bought an ex demo … under 2000 miles … they are going like hot cakes so don’t stall …

Ive found the 204 engine to be more economical at high motorway speeds than the 140.

its 1 or 2 mpg difference, so I agree with @OxonCalifornia, perceived advantage of fuel economy should be at the bottom of the list. I'm getting 43.4mpg on my latest trip with 70% motorway and 30% Alpine switchbacks.
Simplicity and good longterm 150PS engine longevity would be near the top for me.

Back