Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying a T6.1 Coast with a removable towbar?

S

Sapmi

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 110
Is it better to buy an original built-in removable towbar ( for a bikerack), or only the preparation for the towbar, and add a fixed or other towbar later for a bike rack. Maybe the latter is much cheaper?

Is it better to buy an original built-in removable towbar ( for a bikerack), or only the preparation for the towbar, and add a fixed or other towbar later for a bike rack. Maybe the latter is much cheaper?
I believe factory fit is cheapest.

I bought my coast off the showroom, but it came with the tow bar prep; because I’m seriously considering getting an Eriba to tow I’m exploring my options to have a tow bar fitted. Because the van only has 400 miles on the clock I’ll probably get VW to install it, but as yet I don’t have any pricing.

I bought my coast off the showroom, but it came with the tow bar prep; because I’m seriously considering getting an Eriba to tow I’m exploring my options to have a tow bar fitted. Because the van only has 400 miles on the clock I’ll probably get VW to install it, but as yet I don’t have any pricing.
VW Dealer will probably use a 3rd party to do it but charge you a premium to organise it. Find out who they use and go direct.

hi bought my 13 month old cali in oct had a towbar fitted at vw van centre cost was 1230 pounds.hope this helps regards.

Mine had a “dealer fitted” towbar from new. Despite having been supplied with tow bar prep wiring the towbar socket was incorrectly wired. So you don’t always get what you pay for, look at independent fitter.

If you are certain that you are going to use it, it should be a factory fit all the way. It's quite a popular option when you sell, and a factory fit will retain more value.

The factory fit detachable is best, correctly fitted with correct foam padding between the plastic sing and the big heavy beam.

I don’t tow anything but the tow bar is a very useful parking aid and for us who disappear down any rabbit holes we find, a rear skid for drop offs and the odd hole that’s bigger than it looks and dragging it back out again...

My California came without towbar, and I fitted an original VW towbar (Westfalia) with ECS-electronics (Dutch) wiring.
Cost me less than €400 on pieces. Did the fitting myself.
I don't need a detachable towbar. I don't want to find myself searching for the towbar in the toolbox behind the rear seat with my boot already filled up.
It hangs there day and night, and doesn't bother me on looks.
It is happily rusting like all the rest of the van's untreated metal parts on the underside.

I would have the problem of finding the keys if I wanted to take it off..., they are in the van somewhere but haven’t seen them for awhile.

We have ordered our first California to tow our Eriba. Had towbar preparation factory fitted and dealer will fit a fixed towbar (they have fitted lots of towbars - or rather arranged a supplier to fit) paying £395 plus VAT, might have found cheaper but wanted to have towbar fitted by someone who had fitted to California. Have removable on our present car and never really removed.

I priced up a dealer fit one when I looked at buying a demo Van with prep,
The dealer told me they have to remove part of the kitchen to do this and it was around a grand!!!!
I called pf Jones they fit the same towbar as vw but don’t use the towbar prep.they do it there own way .
It’s more expensive if you use the factory prep to have the towbar fitted (makes no sense I know)
So pf Jones quoted £475 doing it there way.
And wouldn’t do it the other

Under no circumstances is the kitchen to be removed to install a towbar.
Tail lights, rear bumper, plastic parts under tail lights, metal bumper behind the plastic bumper, spare wheel, plastics on the underside, that has to be removed for the towbar.
As for the electrics set, only if the computer is behind the kitchen, then it has to be removed, but you can't remove a part of the kitchen. It's the whole unit or nothing.
My electrics set was run under the van to the near side front seat. That one and the battery had to be removed.

Just going off what vw Liverpool told me ...
I’m not saying it’s the way it has to be done.
Pf Jones run there own cabling under the van
Vw told me there’s is behind the kitchen so the towbar prep is also there
Sounds a stupid place to put it but this is what I was told

Just going off what vw Liverpool told me ...
I’m not saying it’s the way it has to be done.
Pf Jones run there own cabling under the van
Vw told me there’s is behind the kitchen so the towbar prep is also there
Sounds a stupid place to put it but this is what I was told
It is behind the rear wardrobe above the water tank lid, stuck to the external bodywall with some tape. Besides fitting the towbar the underbody shield L rear is removed to locate the rubber bung, towbar plug fed through and connected to the prep socket. Oh, the rear battery locker cover is removed and sometimes rear leisure battery pulled out but doesn't need disconnecting.
I get the impression the Dealership didn't want to do the job. Probably a fixed price by VW.

I priced up a dealer fit one when I looked at buying a demo Van with prep,
The dealer told me they have to remove part of the kitchen to do this and it was around a grand!!!!
Yep.
I had a towbar fitted by a dealer the first week, i got 2 quotes.
1 + 1300€ another at 1100€ so i took it to the cheapest, upon collection
i was told that they had made a mistake as they didn't realise it was a Cali
and the had to access the rear cupboard.
They got no sympathy as i thought it was already a heavy price.

It is behind the rear wardrobe above the water tank lid, stuck to the external bodywall with some tape. Besides fitting the towbar the underbody shield L rear is removed to locate the rubber bung, towbar plug fed through and connected to the prep socket. Oh, the rear battery locker cover is removed and sometimes rear leisure battery pulled out but doesn't need disconnecting.
I get the impression the Dealership didn't want to do the job. Probably a fixed price by VW.
I seem to recall it might be easier to access the socket by removing the hook up /water filler.

Back