Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying first Cali.

Toffeeman1

Toffeeman1

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi, I’m looking for guidance and advice about buying used Cali. For example:
What are pitfalls of buying privately v a dealer?
How old a Cali should I target? 2-5 years or perhaps 2-10? At what stage can I expect costly issues?
Budget ? I could go to £50k ish

I guess it’s the same as buying a car. Private sales are generally cheaper than dealers by a round 10 - 20%, but offer no warranty, so once you drive off it’s yours, warts and all . You need to have in mind though that a Cali has A LOT more working bits than your average car, so more to go wrong or have fixed if it’s wrong. At £50k your making a big investment, and I’d personally go to a dealer that also sells and services new Cali’s, but it’s your own perception of risk in the end.

As to age etc., you’ll find many older Cali’s with low mileage, which is where I’d look first and see what takes your fancy. The alternative view, you might find a 3-4 yr Cali in your budget that’s on extended 5 year factory warranty. That would be gold dust!

Also consider older Cali . Ours is 2016 has VW warranty / service plan/MOT & VW Assist( it was 2yr package). Quite few older Cali got this VW package on Cali under 6 years in 2022.

Also read the posts ('price crash' or similar currently running) to see how overpriced used newish Cali's have been vs new prices (due to Covid and the staycations).
Also you'll need a grip on the 180hp models' potential engine problems if looking at any of those from 2010 to late 2015.

I'd seriously consider Post 2017 Euro6 spec. as more and more Cities and areas both in UK and Europe either ban or have a financial cost to drive into.

DSG gearbox makes for very relaxed driving. 4Motion - 4 wheel drive - puts cost up possibly outside budget.

Don't get taken in by big 20" wheels as compromises ride and tyres are expensive to replace plus spare wheel issue (20" puncture would need to go inside Cali.). These tend to be fitted by dealers now.

I'd seriously consider Post 2017 Euro6 spec. as more and more Cities and areas both in UK and Europe either ban or have a financial cost to drive into.

DSG gearbox makes for very relaxed driving. 4Motion - 4 wheel drive - puts cost up possibly outside budget.

Don't get taken in by big 20" wheels as compromises ride and tyres are expensive to replace plus spare wheel issue (20" puncture would need to go inside Cali.). These tend to be fitted by dealers now.
2016 T6 California have a euro 6 engine !

It’s the risk you take when buying a used vehicle that doesn’t have a manufacturers warranty.
From reading about 3rd party warranties most are not worth the paper they are written on, even when paying over £1000 a year.
The best thing you can do is compile a big list of your concerns and ask to everything shown and explained to you in full and see everything working properly.
Like every used vehicle regardless if it’s a month old or 10 years it can develop problems. The former will have a 3 year manufacturers warranty the latter won’t.
In the time I’ve had my van (8 years) I’ve had a few problems some repaired under warranty and others I’ve had to fork out for myself.
The most expensive being poor paintwork on the bumpers which cost me £500 to have repainted. Other things like the dreaded knob on the control panel (£40 ish) and ABS wheel sensors + £20 each.
Both repaired by myself quite easily.
It’s never failed an MOT.
If you are reasonably mechanically minded buy a good used private van, if you haven’t got a clue about mechanics buy from a good dealer.

Good Luck.....

The T6 commercial vans built between 2015-2016 had the T5.1 engines, without Adblue, and hence were Euro5 . All NON-Commercial T6s from September 2015 had to be Euro6 with Adblue.
Your friend needs to check his V5c. It should say M1, Diesel Car, Body Type Motor Caravan.
It it does say that then the Database used to check vehicle compliance with Euro specification is wrong and there is a system to correct it.

Back