Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying new vehicle from Northern Ireland

Camperfamily

Camperfamily

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Does anyone here have any post 1/1/2021 experience of buying a new, unregistered vehicle from Northern Ireland and registering it in Great Britain? Are there any customs, VAT or other implications to be aware of?

It might sound like a daft question given NI is part of the UK but, having spent an hour trawling Google and the gov.uk website, I’m not much wiser on the topic.

None at all.

Does anyone here have any post 1/1/2021 experience of buying a new, unregistered vehicle from Northern Ireland and registering it in Great Britain? Are there any customs, VAT or other implications to be aware of?

It might sound like a daft question given NI is part of the UK but, having spent an hour trawling Google and the gov.uk website, I’m not much wiser on the topic.
The only additional cost will be ferry journey to mainland.

There are a couple of rules specific to NI cars - you can only import for personal use. You can’t bring it over to use as a taxi or to hire it out or sell it.

Thanks for the replies. @andyinluton does mean that I could never sell it without some form of penalty, or just that I couldn’t bring it to GB with the intention of immediately selling?

I think its can't immediately sell it.

I am guessing it's something to do with agreements between NI and the South. I know there's some tax/VAT free exemptions across that border & its to stop a NI dealer taking advantage of that & then just forwarding the van into the mainland.

Thanks @Jonathan Duke did you get an option of registering for a NI-style reg plate, or was GB-style reg the only option?

Obviously our situation is the reverse, but wondering what the options are

Thanks @Jonathan Duke did you get an option of registering for a NI-style reg plate, or was GB-style reg the only option?

Obviously our situation is the reverse, but wondering what the options are
I had to accept a GB plate however, I also had the option to use a personal reg from a certificate (which is what I ended up doing.)

Back