Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying Wine in France

S

StevoC

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi All,
We are traveling from Ireland to France next August and i plan to buy some wine before we come home.
How many cases would be safe to carry weight wise for our Cali 6.1. Was thinking 30 x 6 bottles.
Anyone carry more?
Thanks,
Stephen.

I would stack it up till there is no moere room.
Maybe Leave some unimportant stuff in France like ex the kids or others to make more room for the Wine. ;)

Hi All,
We are traveling from Ireland to France next August and i plan to buy some wine before we come home.
How many cases would be safe to carry weight wise for our Cali 6.1. Was thinking 30 x 6 bottles.
Anyone carry more?
Thanks,
Stephen.
It would all depend on how much other stuff you are considering to take with you.
Maybe if you want to take some cases of wine , consider to leave some Heavy stuff at home so you have the option for an extra case or have some reserve on the springs and try to stay under the max weight it may carry.

Search for vineyards that sell high quality wines in 5 liter boxes. Not only cheaper than per bottle, but also less weight.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

18 litres is the limit per person with wine so that would be pushing it a bit.

Maybe to Ireland there are different amounts. But for us uks we have to suffer with 18 litres. Hardly a weeks worth......
Lucky for me I live in the Next country.
Only One Border to cross and Control on the borders of what you carry. Just make sure your are not over charged. :D

Hi All,
Anyone carry more?
Thanks,
Stephen.

If you update your profile we would know what you were driving.

After that
Hi All,
Anyone carry more?
Thanks,
Stephen.
If your in a 4motion thats about half your payload so depends what else you are carrying.
If going to France direct to Ireland no limits on quantity imported.
If coming via UK its max 18 litres per adult.

Hi All,
Anyone carry more?
Thanks,
Stephen.
180 bottles is approximately 180 kilos, two big fellas. You'll be fine I guess, unless you're already travelling with two other big fellas ;)

I buy wine in 3ltr cartons which is equivalent to 4 bottles. Bottles are 0.75ltr normally.

Just weighed one and is 3.1kgs.

5ltr & some 10ltr cartons are available.

Bulk is probably more of an issue rather than the weight.

Last edited:
Just weighed a bottle of 0,75 liter French red wine: 1250 grams.
You can do the math.

I buy wine in 3ltr cartons which is equivalent to 4 bottles. Bottles are 0.75ltr normally.

Just weighed one and is 3.1kgs.
A litre of wine is 1kg
A litre is also the space in a 10cm x 10cm x 10cm box
So @StevoC if you want a 180 litres you’ll need 180 small boxes or one large container such as
90 x 40 x 50cm

Nb other boxes are available.

Well done - this thread has described a further Brexit dividend! As we can now bring no more than eighteen litres of wine per person into the UK, it means our suspension components may last longer. I know it's not always easy, but if we make the effort, I am sure we can find some more!

Good wines are sold in bottles, not in cubi boxes.

We squeezed 21 cases (6 bottle) in our Hilux on way back from France from Pyrenees one year.

5ECDA305-69FE-46DF-9633-33C7F74F1FF5.jpeg

Search for vineyards that sell high quality wines in 5 liter boxes. Not only cheaper than per bottle, but also less weight.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.
It's a nice idea to buy boxes and great if one aims to consume in a month or two, however in our experience ( we have lived in France in a major wine producing area since 2006 ) it doesn't keep as well as as bottles and it doesn't look so great on the dinner table too.
You are allowed about 21 bottles of wine 18ltrs duty free to uk , so 42 would be 7 boxes . They stack well enough in the rear under the shelf , I've often bought more than that over before Brexit .
If you come down around the Cote De Rhone region message me and I'll tell you the names of some super little cooperative producers , they've been making CDR wine for 80 plus years it's extremely good. If you want to really save money at these places you can also buy it on tap and fill your own containers at a very low price

IMG-20221011-WA0037.jpeg

Niborn, you’re right about glass bottles keeping wines better in the longer term.

But bags of 3/5 litres, once opened, keep a vacuum inside, so the wines will not be corroded by ox very fast.

Think more members here on the forum could be interested in the names/places of the wine cooperatives you mention. Please give more details. We will steer our Calis in to the right direction...
And the wine farmers will benefit too...

Marc.

Back