Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Importing Personal use wines and spirits

Heading out of Newhaven I was asked if we had any spare fuel or sharp knives on board! Nothing about duty free.
Last crossing from P'mouth I got pulled for a search and the small multitool kit that I keep in the glovebox was deemed to be dangerous due to the knife blade and had to be put in the back out of reach! Just as well no rear passengers being carried.

Last crossing from P'mouth I got pulled for a search and the small multitool kit that I keep in the glovebox was deemed to be dangerous due to the knife blade and had to be put in the back out of reach! Just as well no rear passengers being carried.
What on earth was the point of that?

So my steak knives, carving knife and bread knife are now all taboo?
I can go to any supermarket or hardware shop in France an buy knives that are banned in the UK.
I have a couple of Laguiole knives with added cork screw we bought for opening bottles of wine. The blades lock so I imagine they are not legal in the UK. We keep them in the cutlery draw for nothing more sinister than using as a knife and a bottle opener.

I can go to any supermarket or hardware shop in France an buy knives that are banned in the UK.
I have a couple of Laguiole knives with added cork screw we bought for opening bottles of wine. The blades lock so I imagine they are not legal in the UK. We keep them in the cutlery draw for nothing more sinister than using as a knife and a bottle opener.
They are no problem if not within reach it seems, where that is - is best to not go there in logic terms.

Have been frequently asked if we’re carrying knives. Replying no, only kitchen knives, has always prompted the answer that that’s ok. Weirdest one ever was at Hull where I was asked to open the bonnet so that they could have a look. I subsequently asked what were they looking for and was told, guns!

Have been frequently asked if we’re carrying knives. Replying no, only kitchen knives, has always prompted the answer that that’s ok. Weirdest one ever was at Hull where I was asked to open the bonnet so that they could have a look. I subsequently asked what were they looking for and was told, guns!
I get under bonnet check everytime that I get pulled for a security check plus the mirror underneath routine. Thankfully now don't have to go through the scanner after belt a, watch and cash removal plus an item of luggage.
Never been questioned as to what the Rodent scarer box that flashes (near the battery) and clicks is for!

I get under bonnet check everytime that I get pulled for a security check plus the mirror underneath routine. Thankfully now don't have to go through the scanner after belt a, watch and cash removal plus an item of luggage.
Never been questioned as to what the Rodent scarer box that flashes (near the battery) and clicks is for!
So my Kukri under my drivers seat is definitely a No No?

Bought our maximum wine allowance at The Calais Wine Superstore a few days ago. Excellent prices and a tax refund using the SkipTax App.

IMG_4786.png

Bought our maximum wine allowance at The Calais Wine Superstore a few days ago. Excellent prices and a tax refund using the SkipTax App.
Nice one :cheers I’m a big fan of the Calais Wine Superstore.

If you preorder £300 worth of stuff you get a free P&O return crossing and you can claim £45 French vat back. My sister just did that (supplemented by neighbours orders) and took the grandkids on the Calais Dragon thing (booking advisable).

Back