Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vagrancy laws in UK and Europe

N

nottsknight

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I'm starting to plan hols next year travelling around UK and then in Europe. What is the law with regard to wild camping overnight and not on a camp sites in: Scotland; Wales; Ireland; France; Spain; Austria; Italy - is there any published info anywhere?. Many thanks

I generally assume that unless it states clearly "no overnight camping" or "private - keep out" then it's safe to park overnight.

Almost with certainty anywhere in Scotland where there is a right of access, England I have never had problems, France I mostly use Aires but the only contact I have had with Authority wild camping was when somone from the Mairie politely requested that I park 20 metres further left in the town square of a small town as it would be quieter for me in the morning.

Spain, Austria, Italy I have no experiences of.

I generally assume that unless it states clearly "no overnight camping" or "private - keep out" then it's safe to park overnight.

Almost with certainty anywhere in Scotland where there is a right of access, England I have never had problems, France I mostly use Aires but the only contact I have had with Authority wild camping was when somone from the Mairie politely requested that I park 20 metres further left in the town square of a small town as it would be quieter for me in the morning.

Spain, Austria, Italy I have no experiences of.

Thanks for the info - useful about Aires - never heard of them until your post - much appreciated.

Watch out for sacked VW vagrants :D

Spain is a bit mixed. We have wild camped with no problems in the North and North West but I would most definitely avoid the Med coast as there are Russian and Eastern European Mafias operating in that region.
Some of the Spanish forums talk about prohibitions in some provinces, but I have never had problems in Santander, Leon and Asturias regions..

This sums it up pretty well here http://www.go4awalk.com/ask/iswildcampinglegal.php, technically illegal in England and Wales (you should have permission of the land owner), except for Dartmoor. However in reality its generally allowed to go, I've wild camped on Exmoor several times and never been challenged. I even had the police visit in the middle of the night and they didn't move me on or attempt to speak to us.

My general experience is leave no litter and do no damage and be respectful and you should be fine. Away from roads is almost a must to avoid the morons who think its funny to honk their horn at 3am because of a parked up camper.

Just wild camped on the coast in Puglia in Italy and have seen motorhomes obviously wild camping throughout our trip. Although I think it might not be as easy in high season.

Only downside to last night was the Austrian couple there with us. Insisted on feeding us his home made schnapps. The medicinal one didn't work, gave me a stinking headache this morning!!!!

I've wondered just how many people actually fall foul of this law in England/Wales. How on earth this could be policed as surely all of the HGV drivers that are parked up in lay-bys each night could be seen in the same light?

I seem to remember reading that because it's a civil offence rather than criminal in the uk , the most that can happen is that you can be given notice to move on.

Someone was telling me recently that in Spain, the law is such that you can sleep in your vehicle but as soon as you put any equipment outside the van (e.g. chairs etc) then it becomes camping and is illegal. Don't know how true that is but he does live there.

Back