Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buzz ID real world use

Roc1

Roc1

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I've watched countless youtube reviews and the Buzz seems to get great feedback.

Not having owned an EV before I wondered how the battery range is especially in cold weather? Also charging times at home on a 7qw charger?

Basically my work shifts location this year which means a 130 mile or so round journey, and as much as I love my Beach and having a camper, it's pcp is up in 12 months time and so I need to be realistic about whats going to work best vehicle wise.

New Beaches are coming in at £65k and I can't see much more of a difference aside cosmetically over my 2018 one.

Anyhow if anyone here has a Buzz it would be good to hear thoughts.

I've watched countless youtube reviews and the Buzz seems to get great feedback.

Not having owned an EV before I wondered how the battery range is especially in cold weather? Also charging times at home on a 7qw charger?

Basically my work shifts location this year which means a 130 mile or so round journey, and as much as I love my Beach and having a camper, it's pcp is up in 12 months time and so I need to be realistic about whats going to work best vehicle wise.

New Beaches are coming in at £65k and I can't see much more of a difference aside cosmetically over my 2018 one.

Real world cold weather performance you ask? 'nuff said

Buy the Beach outright, especially if the price is decent.
The Buzz is great silly money and has a massive waiting list. I ordered one last July and still didn't have a build date two weeks ago.
The bit that stuck the nail in the coffin, was when the dealer offered me a van in two weeks for £75k.

Buy the Beach outright, especially if the price is decent.
The Buzz is great silly money and has a massive waiting list. I ordered one last July and still didn't have a build date two weeks ago.
The bit that stuck the nail in the coffin, was when the dealer offered me a van in two weeks for £75k.
Yeah think I’ll stick with the camper for a few more years, and hopefully by then EV range and charging infrastructure will have improved a bit (wishful thinking!)

After having previously had a T5.1, T6, and T6.1, we've now got an I'd.Buzz, so I think I can give you a fairly balanced view?

First of all, if it's a financial decision, imo I think keeping your 2018 Cali is your best option.

Back to the Buzz. It's fantastic to drive, even better than our previous 204 4Motion. The reception you get from the general public and other road users is amazing. People just love it. They smile at you, give you the thumbs up, and even let you out at road Junctions. Then again they haven't had to pay £64,000 for a van with just five seats. It is rather wide, 100mm wider than a Cali, so a bit tricky down narrow lanes.

The all important range issue. We've had our Buzz a for a month, not done many miles so far, those have been careful use on mixed roads. It is currently giving us 3 miles per KWh. So l calculate that means 231 miles on a full charge, BUT it is suggested by VW that you only regularly charge the battery to 80% and recharge when it drops to 20%. So that's 60% of the battery's total capacity, which I calculate to be 184 miles.

If you want to chat, PM me, Graham.

After having previously had a T5.1, T6, and T6.1, we've now got an I'd.Buzz, so I think I can give you a fairly balanced view?

First of all, if it's a financial decision, imo I think keeping your 2018 Cali is your best option.

Back to the Buzz. It's fantastic to drive, even better than our previous 204 4Motion. The reception you get from the general public and other road users is amazing. People just love it. They smile at you, give you the thumbs up, and even let you out at road Junctions. Then again they haven't had to pay £64,000 for a van with just five seats. It is rather wide, 100mm wider than a Cali, so a bit tricky down narrow lanes.

The all important range issue. We've had our Buzz a for a month, not done many miles so far, those have been careful use on mixed roads. It is currently giving us 3 miles per KWh. So l calculate that means 231 miles on a full charge, BUT it is suggested by VW that you only regularly charge the battery to 80% and recharge when it drops to 20%. So that's 60% of the battery's total capacity, which I calculate to be 184 miles.

Comparing to a camper, can you sleep in the buzz?

Why does everyone elses opinion matter? They are not paying for it. I used to get admiring glances in my TVR, until it Rained, or run out of petrol after 250 miles,.

Yes, like my Cupra, a 265 mile range until you turn on the air con, wipers and lights in the middle of winter, Then your range, at optimum 80% charging, is about 60%.

Just what advantages am I buying?

So to answer your questions more directly.
1. Range last week, temp +6, overnight -2, ---- 230 miles.
2. Charge time last night with a 7 Kw Ohme home charger, 7 hours 55 mins. 18% to 80%.
3. Cost. That will depend on your tariff. If you've got a 130 commute it would work for you with a considerable saving.

Thanks Graham very useful to read this. I’m in a quandary in that the children are still young enough to want to go campervan’ing, and that I also need a van to get me to work and back. I will get a buzz eventually, but my heart is ruling my head at the moment to enjoy the camping bit with the kids whilst it lasts!

So to answer your questions more directly.
1. Range last week, temp +6, overnight -2, ---- 230 miles.
2. Charge time last night with a 7 Kw Ohme home charger, 7 hours 55 mins. 18% to 80%.
3. Cost. That will depend on your tariff. If you've got a 130 commute it would work for you with a considerable saving.
Thanks this was the main info I was after! £130 to do 400 miles adds up in the Beach!

Competing to a camper, can you sleep in the buzz?

Why does everyone elses opinion matter? They are not paying for it. I used to get admiring glances in my TVR, until it Rained, or run out of petrol after 250 miles,.

Yes, like my Cupra, a 265 mile range until you turn on the air con, wipers and lights in the middle of winter, Then your range, at optimum 80% charging, is about 60%.

Just what advantages am I buying?
I thought Roc 1 was asking the questions with regard to the aspect of the use of the two for his commute, not whether he could sleep in it, which infact you can now can as a conversion to allow this has become available.
Is he not asking for experience of a Buzz owner before he pays for it, wise man IMO.
To your last question, " Just what advantages am l buying? So what advantages have you found with ownership of your EV?

I thought Roc 1 was asking the questions with regard to the aspect of the use of the two for his commute, not whether he could sleep in it, which infact you can now can as a conversion to allow this has become available.
Is he not asking for experience of a Buzz owner before he pays for it, wise man IMO.
To your last question, " Just what advantages am l buying? So what advantages have you found with ownership of your EV?
Keep the reviews/tech info coming as imagine loads of us are finding it interesting:thumb

Thanks Graham very useful to read this. I’m in a quandary in that the children are still young enough to want to go campervan’ing, and that I also need a van to get me to work and back. I will get a buzz eventually, but my heart is ruling my head at the moment to enjoy the camping bit with the kids whilst it lasts!

Wait for the Buzz California… :cool:

3FFA589D-C67F-4AAE-AAFD-83E9BBB6FBA6.jpeg

I'm optimistic it will arrive soon. I've bought BU22 BED reg for ours, that's optimism. The American market is gagging to get their hands on it, surely that will motivate VW to expedite its introduction.

What with the GTX long wheel version this year undoubtedly being more expensive that the current Buzz, I do wonder at what price it will be too much of a stretch for most folk. £65k is already a lot, but I guess people are buying £80k Cali oceans so maybe they’ll sell electric ones so problem at that price point.

A lot will depend on the value retention of the buzz. Historically buyers have not baulked at paying the £80k for a Cali as they know if they need to sell they can recoup most of that back. The jury is still out regarding the Buzz.

I’m quite keen on getting an EV but I am absolutely trying to avoid ever having to charge it anywhere other than my driveway. Charging infrastructure seems terrible.

For that reason the EV will be a car for mainly sub 100 mile journeys and I can’t see me trading in my 2008 California for an electric one anytime this side of 2035 if ever.

I suppose by that point the diesel infrastructure may be getting poor and campsites will let you charge your van on your pitch. 2035 sounds a really long way off but it only 12 years. I wonder if charging/fuelling will have flipped by then.

I’m quite keen on getting an EV but I am absolutely trying to avoid ever having to charge it anywhere other than my driveway. Charging infrastructure seems terrible.

For that reason the EV will be a car for mainly sub 100 mile journeys and I can’t see me trading in my 2008 California for an electric one anytime this side of 2035 if ever.

I suppose by that point the diesel infrastructure may be getting poor and campsites will let you charge your van on your pitch. 2035 sounds a really long way off but it only 12 years. I wonder if charging/fuelling will have flipped by then.

That's the interesting bit.
Once the Buzz can hit 300 miles and electric vehicle pitch camping really becomes a thing. The entire scene will change. The buzz could be massive...

Im guessing Volkswagen have held off the California version to allow further battery development. 3/4 years from now, light batteries, better capacity and better infrastructure.
Its gonna be a winner.

Last edited:
A lot will depend on the value retention of the buzz. Historically buyers have not baulked at paying the £80k for a Cali as they know if they need to sell they can recoup most of that back. The jury is still out regarding the Buzz.

Theres also the longevity of the Cali to consider, other than some restrictions due to emissions, a 2006 cali is just as capable today as the day it was made. Any thing that breaks can be fixed. They don't rust significantly, so other than the availability of fuel they don't become obsolete.

On the other hand a Buzz is fitted with a battery that has a finite lifespan & deteriorates from the time it's first used. If the range isn't absolutely enormous on day one, I dread to think how poor it will be in 10 years time.
I just have to look at my power tool collection to see how batteries make stuff obsolete & how even lithium packs can fail.
With battery technology improving year on year, I do believe that there will be a time that it will get to a point where capacity is huge & recharging times are fantastically quick.
I also see some electric motorbikes come with two detachable batteries, if car batteries become smaIl enough for that to be feasible it opens up a whole different approach to charging or adding additional range when required.

I just don't think we are quite there yet with the technology, give it another couple of years....

I’ve been told by the Salesman at SMG Tonbridge that the Buzz’s batteries come in blocks which can be added too.

The Buzz camper will be a longer wheelbase, so more room for battery.

Once a battery has reached the end of its useful recharging life it can be removed and replaced (at a significant cost). The old battery will not be thrown away. It is fully (or almost fully) recyclable into a new battery.

Charging infrastructure might be poor now, but it is likely to improve.

As I only intend keeping our Buzz until our new Cali hopefully arrives this summer, I'm watching the market closely.
Obviously the only ones for sale are people hoping to flip them, mainly small dealers. There has been seven for sale on Autotrader for about ten days at around 4K over list. They haven't sold, or the the ad hasn't been removed when sold.
I would have expected them to have sold, especially the two-tones when you consider there is no discount on a new one from a VW dealer, and at least an 18 month wait for a two-tone I've been told.

As I only intend keeping our Buzz until our new Cali hopefully arrives this summer, I'm watching the market closely.
Obviously the only ones for sale are people hoping to flip them, mainly small dealers. There has been seven for sale on Autotrader for about ten days at around 4K over list. They haven't sold, or the the ad hasn't been removed when sold.
I would have expected them to have sold, especially the two-tones when you consider there is no discount on a new one from a VW dealer, and at least an 18 month wait for a two-tone I've been told.

I love the Buzz styling.
But dealers flipping them and asking £70-75k.
It’s Land Rover territory.
The latest defender is a handsome bit of kit, and a Disco at £70k is very luxurious…

The 80% is the same in the ID3.

The battery is on 44k+ and there has been no loss of battery performance.

I love the Buzz styling.
But dealers flipping them and asking £70-75k.
It’s Land Rover territory.
The latest defender is a handsome bit of kit, and a Disco at £70k is very luxurious…

Kept the BMW over the P400. Nice but side by side the BMW wins hands down. Had to scrub the number plate as I wasn't "allowed" to sell.

Cars (2).jpg