Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buzz ID real world use

Things l don't like in the real world with our 1st Edition Buzz are:-
1. The sliding side doors. It's like having an early Cali, slam doors with no soft close.
2. No electric tailgate.
3. No storage space for charging cables. Just a bag with a small karabiner to stop it flying forward in an accident. That's not going to work.

Things I do like:-
1. First experience of driving an EV. Love it. One foot driving, magic.
2. The way it makes you feel when driving it.
3. The way it makes other people feel when they see you driving it.

It really is a bit special. Come on VW, l want a Buzz California.

1. The sliding side doors. It's like having an early Cali, slam doors with no soft close.
2. No electric tailgate.
3. No storage space for charging cables. Just a bag with a small karabiner to stop it flying forward in an accident. That's not going to work.

It really is a bit special. Come on VW, l want a Buzz California
“Magic…, the way it makes you feel….it really is special” …still a bit skeptical then? Ha. Glad you’re enjoying it.

New defender is not a defender
Just like the new mini is not a mini

The old ones are legends and all time design classics, the new ones, not so much.

Got to be honest.
Hated the old one, bloody awful. I was subjected to a joyride around the New Forest some years back. Never again…!!!
I prefer the modern beast.

2. No electric tailgate.

Enjoy it now.
Best time to have one.
Then sell in a couple of months ;) time, for an extra £5k

Thanks for the replies. Decided to pay off the Beach over the next 3 years and own it, and by then there maybe an improvement in the charging infrastructure (yeah right!) or even a buzz with improved range. In the meantime going to enjoy all the camping adventures and day to day practicality the Beach gives us.

2. No electric tailgate.

We have just collected our new Buzz Style edition and I would agree with most of your points Susibus.

We will certainly miss our California when we sell it later in the Spring but we have already ordered swivel seat bases and a bigger fridge with freezer for the back of the Buzz. The multiflex board with a real mattress is also a lot more kind to my poor back and neck.

The best bit though is a full battery of juice created by our home solar panels giving us a range of approx 240miles at our usual 65mph in super comfort. That’s a free trip down to Cornwall from Bristol and a bit of driving about. The money saved on Diesel pays for a camp site with electric hook up for charging for the home journey and a few nice meals out and about or a much cheaper time away if we cook out the back of the Buzz in an awning.

We love the Buzz, but still love the Cali.

For anyone who thinks a Buzz is overpriced, I got over some of my spend guilt by looking at it like this:

California Beach £65k to £70k new
50k miles at £7.50 a gallon = £11k
Servicing and Road tax for 5 years £2.5k
Total £83.5k

ID Buzz Style with Multifkex board and swivel seats £65k to £70k depending on ootions
50k miles at current home charging rates if no solar £5k. Much cheaper on night time tariffs or solar
Servicing for 5 years £1k max
Total £71k to £76k

I am sure a pop top will be available soon, which would probably make the Buzz a cheaper option than a Cali Beach (if purchased new) and the comfort and driving pleasure is not comparable. Furthermore the ongoing servicing and fuel costs will continue to save you money if you keep the vehicle for years.

Only time will tell how each one will compare when it comes to depreciation.

Across the EV industry as a whole its not looking good so far. Time will tell if the Buzz follows the same trajectory.

Across the EV industry as a whole its not looking good so far. Time will tell if the Buzz follows the same trajectory.
This is why we leased our EV as not sure how fast the battey tech will progress, so we treat it as a monthly hire and then just give it back, or, ask for cash price at the end of the lease term...depending on which way the market has gone.

ICE Cali (11yrs old) + EV Combo works well for us. Current SWB Buzz is too short in lenght to make a decent camper and range is not enough. need at least +300miles ...my feeling is that Ford will come out with the best EV Camper, but most likely be 3.5t to handlle the weight.

This is why we leased our EV as not sure how fast the battey tech will progress, so we treat it as a monthly hire and then just give it back, or, ask for cash price at the end of the lease term...depending on which way the market has gone.

ICE Cali (11yrs old) + EV Combo works well for us. Current SWB Buzz is too short in lenght to make a decent camper and range is not enough. need at least +300miles ...my feeling is that Ford will come out with the best EV Camper, but most likely be 3.5t to handlle the weight.
Yes depreciation is the bit that scares us since buying, but the lease price on the Buzz was astronomical at about £50k for 4 years! The Buzz cost £66k outright on the road so I just dont see the logic with leasing at such an expensive monthly price.

For anyone who thinks a Buzz is overpriced, I got over some of my spend guilt by looking at it like this:

California Beach £65k to £70k new
50k miles at £7.50 a gallon = £11k
Servicing and Road tax for 5 years £2.5k
Total £83.5k

ID Buzz Style with Multifkex board and swivel seats £65k to £70k depending on ootions
50k miles at current home charging rates if no solar £5k. Much cheaper on night time tariffs or solar
Servicing for 5 years £1k max
Total £71k to £76k

I am sure a pop top will be available soon, which would probably make the Buzz a cheaper option than a Cali Beach (if purchased new) and the comfort and driving pleasure is not comparable. Furthermore the ongoing servicing and fuel costs will continue to save you money if you keep the vehicle for years.

Congrats on your new Buzz :thumb We (pre) ordered one but cancelled for many reasons that I have mentioned previously. It is a very desirable vehicle indeed. Just as an aside I get the point about driving pleasure but surely you are comparing to your own (aging and manual?) T5. I think the current T6.1 with DSG is quite a different beast.

BTW …. You won’t convince me that the Buzz is not overpriced…….. IMHO it is way overpriced :eek: (sorry;)

The money saved on Diesel pays for a camp site with electric hook up for charging for the home journey ..
I've started to specify non-electric hookup pitches where possible. I sometimes felt we were subsidising other units that wanted to run electric heaters, hair straighteners etc - and now recharging their EVs. Out of interest, how long would it take on hookup to get a reasonable charge back into the batteries?

Yes depreciation is the bit that scares us since buying, but the lease price on the Buzz was astronomical at about £50k for 4 years! The Buzz cost £66k outright on the road so I just dont see the logic with leasing at such an expensive monthly price.
Does the lease cost not factor in the expected depreciation.

Does the lease cost not factor in the expected depreciation.
I presume our Buzz will be worth more than £16k ( £66k - £50k) in 4 years, I really hope so. Or am I missing something?

I've started to specify non-electric hookup pitches where possible. I sometimes felt we were subsidising other units that wanted to run electric heaters, hair straighteners etc - and now recharging their EVs. Out of interest, how long would it take on hookup to get a reasonable charge back into the batteries?
To avoid taking the Michael and charging at 3.5kw, you can adjust the Buzz’s charge rate. We have ours set to 1.8kw to take advantage of our solar on our house. Let’s say 10% to 80% charge is 31 hours. That’s enough time for the sort of weekend trips we do to Cornwall. Throw in a comfort break at a decent rapid charger for 15 mins and we will hopefully be free of range anxiety (providing the charger is working of course)!

Congrats on your new Buzz :thumb We (pre) ordered one but cancelled for many reasons that I have mentioned previously. It is a very desirable vehicle indeed. Just as an aside I get the point about driving pleasure but surely you are comparing to your own (aging and manual?) T5. I think the current T6.1 with DSG is quite a different beast.

BTW …. You won’t convince me that the Buzz is not overpriced…….. IMHO it is way overpriced :eek: (sorry;)
Very true, I am sure the T6.1 really is a pleasure to drive, we might even rent one one day if we miss our Cali for certain types of trips.