Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buzz ID real world use

To avoid taking the Michael and charging at 3.5kw, you can adjust the Buzz’s charge rate. We have ours set to 1.8kw to take advantage of our solar on our house. Let’s say 10% to 80% charge is 31 hours. That’s enough time for the sort of weekend trips we do to Cornwall. Throw in a comfort break at a decent rapid charger for 15 mins and we will hopefully be free of range anxiety (providing the charger is working of course)!
I bet some other EV owners wouldn't be too bothered about taking the Mick, which is possibly why some sites forbid EV charging via hookup.

I bet some other EV owners wouldn't be too bothered about taking the Mick, which is possibly why some sites forbid EV charging via hookup.
I think we might consider making a courtesy payment to any friendly campsite owners to cover some of the electric cost, got to be prepared to pay for the convenience and not take the Mick.

Wowzers, I have just been on the VW website and added some driver comfort and other spec and the Beach is £77k. I then went on a lease website and the same vehicle was £786 a month + £10k for 4 years = £47k. Surely the Beach would be worth way more than £30k in 4 years time.

Congrats on your new Buzz :thumb We (pre) ordered one but cancelled for many reasons that I have mentioned previously. It is a very desirable vehicle indeed. Just as an aside I get the point about driving pleasure but surely you are comparing to your own (aging and manual?) T5. I think the current T6.1 with DSG is quite a different beast.

BTW …. You won’t convince me that the Buzz is not overpriced…….. IMHO it is way overpriced :eek: (sorry;)
We have an EV and a new Cali Ocean.

The Cali is like driving a 20yr old car in comparison to the EV. You need a physical key to get in and start it, you need to turn the key to start it, you need to press the brake pedal to slow down, you have to adjust the seats/steering wheel manually, you need to release a cable operated handbrake to move off, need to hold the brakes on a hill….and so on.

Love the Cali, but it’s very retro in a good way…;-)

Just as I love my old Land Rover Defender too…

We have an EV and a new Cali Ocean.

The Cali is like driving a 20yr old car in comparison to the EV. You need a physical key to get in and start it, you need to turn the key to start it, you need to press the brake pedal to slow down, you have to adjust the seats/steering wheel manually, you need to release a cable operated handbrake to move off, need to hold the brakes on a hill….and so on.

Love the Cali, but it’s very retro in a good way…;-)

Just as I love my old Land Rover Defender too…
And when the California runs out of Diesel it can be towed to the next garage..

And when the California runs out of Diesel it can be towed to the next garage..
In fact you always have to take it to the "special" charger (fuel) stations to fill up, not seen any home diesel pumps yet...;-)

And pay 10x for the "benefit" of diesel (these are my figures) - your milage may vary...

In fact you always have to take it to the "special" charger (fuel) stations to fill up, not seen any home diesel pumps yet...;-)

And pay 10x for the "benefit" of diesel (these are my figures) - your milage may vary...
You missed the point. The California can be towed. EV vehicles apparently cannot be towed as one of my sons found out as did my Daughter in Law. Low loader only.

You missed the point. The California can be towed. EV vehicles apparently cannot be towed as one of my sons found out as did my Daughter in Law. Low loader only.
4x4 / RWD shouldnt really be towed for a long distance to avoid damage to the driveshaft.

Good news is that RAC now have special dollys or hubs to overcome this

I didnt miss the point, thats why I said EVs can also be "taken" not towed. In reality I have never run out for diesel or electric in 50 years of motoring, so its a moot point.

My Landy did suffer a broken radiator and was put on a flat bed.

The Fanboys take life much too seriously.

If you live in a city and want a runabout, or commute daily an EV makes sense.

For those Campervan owners who never cross the water, always use campsites and EHU an EV Campervan with a 200 mile range will work, BUT I very much doubt if you will be charging up from your pitch camping EHU.

That is not my usage. I want 400 mile real world range, off grid capability at the end of a day of driving.
So IC or a Hybrid. Ideally a hybrid battery/Tsi.

To avoid taking the Michael and charging at 3.5kw, you can adjust the Buzz’s charge rate. We have ours set to 1.8kw to take advantage of our solar on our house. Let’s say 10% to 80% charge is 31 hours. That’s enough time for the sort of weekend trips we do to Cornwall. Throw in a comfort break at a decent rapid charger for 15 mins and we will hopefully be free of range anxiety (providing the charger is working of course)!
We're about to make our first long trip in our ID.Buzz, which will be from Watford to Cornwall. As it sounds as though Cornwall is possibly a regular trip you make, but obviously not from Watford, do you have any advice on good charging locations?

We're about to make our first long trip in our ID.Buzz, which will be from Watford to Cornwall. As it sounds as though Cornwall is possibly a regular trip you make, but obviously not from Watford, do you have any advice on good charging locations?
@SusiBus let us know how you get on:thumb

Does the VW Satnav not factor suitable charging stops into the route automatically?

Plug your trip into A Better Route Planner and it’ll find the best chargers for you. I often use the chargers at Scorrier on the A30 north of Truro. There’s a pair of Osprey chargers there and they’ve been reliable for us. All the Tescos have PodPoint chargers across Cornwall and the Cornwalll Services on the A30 should have opened up by now.

Ionity at Collumpton is a great place to charge at a rapid rate. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Tesla will open up to us lot at Launceston or Redruth, this would be all the charging infrastructure we would ever need.