Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bye bye Beach…or not?

B

bilberry

Guest User
I know this is probably the daftest place to ask the question, but here goes… I’m thinking the time may have come to change my beloved Beach for a car (probably electric or full hybrid). I don’t camp very much these days and so I don‘t think I’d be hankering for that. But what I think I’d miss most is actually the comfortable days-out, picnics and impromptu overnight stops. We had a Berlingo before the Beach and, although, we did use it as a makeshift camper very happily, I do remember how excited we were to get the comfort of the van.

it’s a dilemma. I just don’t think I’m getting the most out of the Beach now, and it’s being driven on short town trips way more than extended European holidays (which I’ve done plenty of). It’s my only vehicle and maybe it’s time to start a different sort of life - with adventures in a different form.

As I say, a club of enthusiasts is probably not the best sounding board!

We had a similar dilemma but I got around it by buying a £500 runaround (Audi A2) to do the bulk of our work and shopping miles while using the van for what it's great at, which is camping and days out in comfort. It's a good balance!

I know this is probably the daftest place to ask the question, but here goes… I’m thinking the time may have come to change my beloved Beach for a car (probably electric or full hybrid). I don’t camp very much these days and so I don‘t think I’d be hankering for that. But what I think I’d miss most is actually the comfortable days-out, picnics and impromptu overnight stops. We had a Berlingo before the Beach and, although, we did use it as a makeshift camper very happily, I do remember how excited we were to get the comfort of the van.

it’s a dilemma. I just don’t think I’m getting the most out of the Beach now, and it’s being driven on short town trips way more than extended European holidays (which I’ve done plenty of). It’s my only vehicle and maybe it’s time to start a different sort of life - with adventures in a different form.

Keep the Beach for a few more years!

We have a 11 year old Beach + leased EV. Beach will give you far more flexibilty..unless you can run 2 vehicles.

Suggest Changing to an EV (Van), when a decent model comes out. Ford Tourneo is looking to be closest match to a Beach at the moment, we are hoping that Ford will eventually do an electric Nugget.

Same thoughts here. In the end we kept our little Peugeot 107 runaround and the Beach. Good decision for us.

Caddy California? has anyone bought one of these.

All I'd say is a Cali isn't just for camping! Just also consider what you can do with the Cali outside of camping that wouldn't be possible or easy in a normal car (for me it's made trips with the bicycles so much easier)

As other say, campervans are just entering a phase of change now, hybrids / EV must just be around the corner. I'd add that EV cars are still going to develop massively in the next 3-5 years, there are some exciting new battery technologies that are just starting to be piloted, which will massively impact range/weight.

So I guess what I'm saying is what is driving you to change today and what would the impact be if you held off for a while?

Also it's winter too, so we aren't using our Cali for the maximum, will you feel different when the sun comes out?

Just a few uncoherent thoughts:

It may depend on how many you want to take on a picnic, 2 in a car is OK but no more. In the summer you could take chairs and table with you. I have a friend with a converted Berlingo who has difficulty using caravan club sites as they say it is not a campervan although she can sleep in it. Maybe worth thinking if you may want to camp where you are going to camp if you have a car and tent.

However we too had a Berlingo which we loved till it was written off in an accident. We are thinking about an electric Berlingo when our car needs replacing. The Berlingo fits in places the California does not. Your Beach is a T5 which may mean you need to pay to visit some cities but not with an electric vehicle.

Another consideration is cost and re[pairs, if you sell the van how much does another vehicle cost to buy over what you may save on fuel and service costs. Diesels do not like lots of short trips without a reasonable run every now and then.

I would hate to make a similar decision as you said you like the Beach. Could you keep it and use a bike for short trips?

Same thoughts here. In the end we kept our little Peugeot 107 runaround and the Beach. Good decision for us.
Haha, our 16 yo 107 just refuses to die! (maybe this April tho.......)

We bought our Beach for a year long trip around Europe, and then for the next nine years as a family car.

After our trip we bought a little Skoda Citigo for use around town. The system of two cars works well.

I have had a couple on Belingo's and was wondering as they are now EV it would work for us -thinking of how to make it into a day van. The Caddy camper lacks a lot and is not an EV.
The killer - still the range is still pants.

I have had a couple on Belingo's and was wondering as they are now EV it would work for us -thinking of how to make it into a day van. The Caddy camper lacks a lot and is not an EV.
We really considered a Leccy Berlingo last year and were willing to make a kinda camper conversion but there were none to be tried...... in the end we gave in to the 'force' and bought the Coast. I still like the Berlingo....... it will always be a compromise but then again what isn't?

If you search google there are lots of examples of Belingo conversions but not sure I would want to risk going on a camping holiday with a short range vehicle (electric) and the uncertainty with being able to charge. Setting it up for picnic could be good and it will carry a bike. I need a 2nd towing vehicle and the Belingo (not sure if can tow with an EV one) was great for towing so interested as a 2nd vehicle but not yet as car just passed MOT. The California will still be my main vehicle but I do fell bad about going to our local shop in the van.

When our Citroen car got collected for it's annua;l service they left a Berlingo E here. Looked pretty good and like most vehicles it has grown in size so could well be worth a look.
One of those roof top tent/beds might be an option -- other brands available but an example

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I don’t think buying an extra car would really cut the mustard. It would just add expense and anxiety. I do worry that buying a hybrid or EV now would be frustrating further down the line when new technologies exacerbate the depreciation. Not to mention that our off-road parking spot isn‘t right next to the house (and would make any charging point very expensive). So, sounds like I just need to relax about the van, relax IN the van and have another think in a year or two.

I sold my Beach and now have a 204 DSG 4 motion Kombi.

We hardly slept in the Beach over the last 2 years.

Loved our France holidays for 5 years but wanted to fly away on holiday again.

Bear in mind, though, that the Caddy has a low driving position. The test drive I did before buying the Beach put me off. It felt like there was a lot of stuff behind me - maybe like driving a hearse! For solo camping, there are easy workarounds with larger cars.
Not bought one but I like the concept especially for solo camping.

Well I think you should sell it. No point keeping a camping vehicle if you don't do camping anymore. I don't understand how an Camping van can be compared to the EV vehicle as a whole category. Comparing van vs car, or small van like Berlingo ok, but Cali vs any EV it's like comparing not apples, but, pork meat vs oranges.
You probably really want an EV vehicle so good luck with your new "life".

It's OK. Be honest, you just fancy a change!

Otherwise, why get rid of what has to be one of the, if not THE, most versatile vehicle you could possibly wish to own. All you'll gain is some shiny new ECO contraption that won't tick as many boxes. If it's an environmental move, then keeping the Beach is probably greener. Anyway, you would almost certainly end up regretting the decision.

Electric bikes are pretty good for trips <5 miles.
Since I got my Swytch Kit it has been a life changer, as I have a steep hill to drive going home from the village. I agree within 5 mi it's good, takes the same time and park it way closer to the entrance door of wherever I need to go to.

Electric bikes are pretty good for trips <5 miles.
Motorcycle easier to lock up securely. My new electric bike is currently sitting in my living room waiting for better weather, but not sure I want to use it to go to shops as it is a lot of money to have stolen. Mine is for over 5miles, London in the summer! 5 miles is easy on other bike even if I have to push by bike uphill which I often do.

Motorcycle easier to lock up securely. My new electric bike is currently sitting in my living room waiting for better weather, but not sure I want to use it to go to shops as it is a lot of money to have stolen. Mine is for over 5miles, London in the summer! 5 miles is easy on other bike even if I have to push by bike uphill which I often do.
I’ve never had a motorbike, so cannot comment on the ease or otherwise of locking them, but in the last three decades I have never had a problem locking my bicycle.

I use two good locks of different types: D lock and motorbike chain & padlock. My theory is that if a thief can break one lock they can break two locks the same but not necessarily two locks of different type.

And I am comfortable locking my bike in dodgy London suburbs. Lewisham station or Lewisham market are common places where my bike is locked. I have a £2000+ bike (replacement value).

I’ve never had a motorbike, so cannot comment on the ease or otherwise of locking them, but in the last three decades I have never had a problem locking my bicycle.

I use two good locks of different types: D lock and motorbike chain & padlock. My theory is that if a thief can break one lock they can break two locks the same but not necessarily two locks of different type.

And I am comfortable locking my bike in dodgy London suburbs. Lewisham station or Lewisham market are common places where my bike is locked. I have a £2000+ bike (replacement value).
Agree. I also use ridiculous Motorbikes locks on my bike, after i got 2 brand new Specialized Mountain bikes stolen inside my Garage when i was living near you, opposite side of the Thames, just behind St. Katherine's Dock. The U lock I have is 19mm thick, the chain 11mm. A bike thief won't carry such large tools and motorbikes thieves will look for motorbikes.
Of course no point choosing carbon bike frames when I then carry such heavy locks... :D

Back