Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bye Bye Britain. It was nice knowing you (Long read)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personaly i am gutted we are leaving the eu but it is what it is now and going to make the most of it as i always try to do.
Feel sorry for you if you dont want to return but have a feeling in time you will change your ideas as if it isnt worth the hassle why talk so highly of the uk and all the great things we have.
Its been and is gonna be a painfull break why make it more painfull than it has to be.

Last year I surfed over in Morocco. Got talking to a Portuguese surfer. We chatted surfboards and surfing and got on really well.
I commented that his English was excellent and he told me, he had lived in England for 25 years.
Because of BreX1t, he decided to pack up his business and life in the UK, and head back to Portugal.
He felt Britain had turned racist for its desire to leave the EU, that it was all about closing the national boarders.
It’s the saddest thing I’ve heard so far...

I know the majority of Brexiteers are far from racists, and unfortunately this was the brush we were tarred with by Remainers.
It saddens me to think, that this is what the rest of Europe now believes, which is very far from the truth...

We voted for the Common Market but I don’t recollect ever voting to join a Federated Europe.
As far as travelling in Europe, apart from applying for a 3 yr Visa I doubt if there will be any changes. I’ve always required my Passport and car documents and always taken Travel Insurance so doubt if much will change.
Anyway, if some of the European news is correct we may well be joined by some other EU members in the not too distant future.

I hope you’re right but I think think you are probably in for a shock if you think the EU will hand out long term tourist travel visas. Without a deal each country within the EU sets its own visa requirements. The UK has got super strict recently on issuing visas and won’t be up for reciprocating with relaxed offers.

We will have to live with whatever happens, so we’ll find a way through it.

Good evening,

I am not so tied in the politiks, but I thought that the states as partners in the EU voluntarily committed to work closley together to take advantage of a bigger market, more rights etc.

The citizens of the UK decided to leave this partnership. That is a sad thing, but can't be changed.

But each decision comes with consequences. After Brexit the UK won't have the same rights and advantages as before (within the EU). Yes, negotiations will happen in the months to come to find arrangments for all levels of life. But as a none EU member state there will, even there must be, changes. The EU won't agree anthing else, because if she does, very understandable questions from the other states come up why we have the EU, a partership of giving and taking, if a leaving member state achieves the same rights or advantages? Naturaly this would be the end of the EU.

We can only hope that at the end of all the negotations between UK and EU that the remaining restrictens are not too much impacting on business and private people (in UK and EU).

I already mentioned in previous posts that I am sad that the UK is leaving the EU. A country so powerful, with so much history, an important country in Europe (always was, always will be) won't be an equal partner in the EU anymore. The UK is a beatiful country with friendly people (for me it feels like home, because so much is similiar to Irleand) and I will continue to visit whenever I can.

Let's see what the politiicans are coming up with and hope for the best.

Regards,
Eberhard

That's a shame, as we are not leaving Europe, just the political system of the EU. We will always be Europe's friends and you are always welcome back to the UK if you ever change your mind, so never say never. Happy new year and wherever you go, keep enjoying your travels :)

I hope you’re right but I think think you are probably in for a shock if you think the EU will hand out long term tourist travel visas. Without a deal each country within the EU sets its own visa requirements. The UK has got super strict recently on issuing visas and won’t be up for reciprocating with relaxed offers.

We will have to live with whatever happens, so we’ll find a way through it.

I think that the 26 Schengen countries (which includes Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein and Switzerland) is one visa from any Schengen country. That leaves Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Croatia and Romania. And we are told the border with Ireland will remain open. Cyprus, Bulgaria, Croatia and Romania may well join Schengen before the transition period is over.

Good evening,

Most of us have problems with the "powers above". It could be the local council that we are giving out, the county administration, the goverment or in the case the EU. I made that experience when I lived in Germany or now here in Ireland.

It seems that a majority of the UK citizen are not happy with the politics in the EU (understandble, sometimes I feel the same). But please allow me to say that leaving the political EU means that the UK needs to deal with the fall out of this decision and has no further say in the future of the EU, which I believe will somehow impacting UK anyway. It feels a wee bit to me not go to vote, but later giving out about the outcome of the vote...

A strong and engaged UK as an equal partner on the roundtalbe of the EU would have been my most loved scenario.

Regards,
Eberhard

I think that the 26 Schengen countries (which includes Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein and Switzerland) is one visa from any Schengen country. That leaves Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Croatia and Romania. And we are told the border with Ireland will remain open. Cyprus, Bulgaria, Croatia and Romania may well join Schengen before the transition period is over.

The EU currently require non EU nationals to apply for a residence permit if you want to stay longer than 90 days in the Schengen.

• If you intend to stay in the Schengen area for over 90 days you must apply for a residence permit (Long stay visa), not a Schengen visa. Instructions are on the respective embassy/consulate’s homepage.

I have friends in both France and Spain, all I can say to our European friends is don't believe what you are reading and watching on the news about the UK. You will problem find much more honest and correct content within this forum.

Well I’m in Australia at present and the Australians I have spoken to are looking forward to Brexit and are fully supportive of the Democratic decision taken.

Good morning
I have no opinion on that subject. My hope is that this change wouldn't stopp UK citizens to come visit us in Switzerland/general "European countries" (re Trip to Italy in spring 2020). But as far as I understand that is still possible with some adjustments?

Best regards and safe travel (to Europe or wherever you're going)

Regardless of any fors & againsts, not allowing EU citizens to visit tbe UK on their EU ID card will be an economic catastrophe.

I think 'catastrophe' is putting it a bit strongly. I don't have any data but I'd imagine relatively few EU nationals wanting to visit UK wouldn't have a passport they could use.

But in any case, I see no reason why UKG can't/won't classify EU ID cards as 'valid travel documents' for visits of up to 90 days, as Switzerland and Norway do (yes they are part of Schengen, but I don't think that's relevant to the case in point).

EDIT: Just checked and it does indeed sound as though EEA ID cards won't be valid from 2021 (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/visiting-the-uk-after-brexit). I can't really understand why that change is necessary but there you go. (Don't blame me I didn't vote for Brexit. :headbang )

Last edited:
I don't have any data but I'd imagine relatively few EU nationals wanting to visit UK wouldn't have a passport they could use.
I think the number could be in the 10s even 100s of thousands. I personally know several Polish, Bulgarian and Romanians with no passport. They feel no need to pay for one as they do not intend to travel outside the EU.

Many come for seasonal work picking fruit or vegetables, construction or other temporary work shunned by many Brits.

Europe is not going anywhere, nor is the U.K. or come to mention it nor is the rest of the world !
Certain post would have you believe that travel and trade with Europe will become a thing of the past, (both directions)
Get real.
Change is an inevitable consequence of life and one some people find hard to accept
And before I’m jumped on, I have already booked my ferry to France for my Summer holiday, I will deal with the any Changes as they present themselves.
I won’t change, I will simply adapt to a revised format, which will quickly become the new norm.
You Don’t look in the rear view mirror and comment how good it was, you may miss what’s on the horizon.
What has been, has been, end of.
Accept change, what ever that is, and move forward and enjoy what time we may have left as its fleeting !

It’s strange and not always understandable. I fly often between Bristol and Faro, Portugal, and in reverse. I have a UK passport.

From Bristol I do NOT have to show my passport to any passport control, only at the airline gate. Coming back into Bristol I always have to show it at Border control.

However, Faro is a different matter, all arrivals, irrespective of country of origin have to show passports, and when leaving regardless of destination, also have to show passports at passport control.

Can anyone explain this ?

Great post and i understand your position, but do remember there are many millions of open minded, progressive people who are not looking back into the past for solutions and are tolerant of the criticism the UK deserves for this massive piece of self inflicted harm from Brexit and the recent election.

The divides in the UK are sadly many right now but the next generation will rebuild, it’s probably a 10-15 year process, but stick with us because we will be back.

Great post and i understand your position, but do remember there are many millions of open minded, progressive people who are not looking back into the past for solutions and are tolerant of the criticism the UK deserves for this massive piece of self inflicted harm from Brexit and the recent election.

The divides in the UK are sadly many right now but the next generation will rebuild, it’s probably a 10-15 year process, but stick with us because we will be back.

Not as divided as the press and others would have you believe, an open minded approach is key coupled with the acceptance of inevitable change.
I have not lost any friends because of their choices they decided to make,
I am happy for every adult to excersise their democratic right in what ever way they choose!
The democratic right that many many lost their lives attaining in the first place then defending vehemently throughout our collective histories across all continents.
Rebuilding Britain, assumes it’s broken in the first place!
Criticism or jealousy! Watch this space !
Time will be the ultimate measure of the choice people had in a single moment in our recent history and the choices that are made going forward and I agree in ten years time we will know the true path that has been chosen, good, bad or indifferent.
Meanwhile I continue to make my own informed choices and interact with others as exactly as I did before, regardless of a vote taken by the masses and split opinions, opinions of the masses, which now become somewhat irrelevant to the process going forward and one we have no further part to play collectively.

I too am saddened by the "democratic" vote to leave the EU, and can't wait to get on the ferry to go and check that my beloved France is still there, and all the other countries that make up the vibrant society that is Europe.
No need to put the word democratic in quotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.