Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bye bye Beach…or not?

A scally with a rucksack and decent battery powered grinder will beat 99% of chains and D locks no problem.
It's a bit like a car/Cali, if someone wants it bad enough they'll take it.

A scally with a rucksack and decent battery powered grinder will beat 99% of chains and D locks no problem.
Correct. It will make a bit of noise though and take a minute at least, having to unpack the grinder and packing it back in. During this time he will be also expose to be caught. Too muck risk and noise for just a used bike, mine is worth less than a Grand new...
Move over to better bike, smaller lock. Only an idiot thief would go around with such equipment for stealing just a (pedal) bike.

Correct. It will make a bit of noise though and take a minute at least, having to unpack the grinder and packing it back in. During this time he will be also expose to be caught. Too muck risk and noise for just a used bike, mine is worth less than a Grand new...
Move over to better bike, smaller lock. Only an idiot thief would go around with such equipment for stealing just a (pedal) bike.
believe me, we have plenty of said idiot thieves.

Yes, anything can be stolen. My hope is that a potential thief will look at my bike with its two good locks of different types and say to themself, “Sod this, there’s an easier bike to steal on the next rack.”

I sold my Beach and now have a 204 DSG 4 motion Kombi.

We hardly slept in the Beach over the last 2 years.

Loved our France holidays for 5 years but wanted to fly away on holiday again.
Snap, have a top spec kombi 4motion and it was a lot cheaper than a beach. Even has a bed and diesel heater.

I know this is probably the daftest place to ask the question, but here goes… I’m thinking the time may have come to change my beloved Beach for a car (probably electric or full hybrid). I don’t camp very much these days and so I don‘t think I’d be hankering for that. But what I think I’d miss most is actually the comfortable days-out, picnics and impromptu overnight stops. We had a Berlingo before the Beach and, although, we did use it as a makeshift camper very happily, I do remember how excited we were to get the comfort of the van.

it’s a dilemma. I just don’t think I’m getting the most out of the Beach now, and it’s being driven on short town trips way more than extended European holidays (which I’ve done plenty of). It’s my only vehicle and maybe it’s time to start a different sort of life - with adventures in a different form.

As I say, a club of enthusiasts is probably not the best sounding board!
I have a wee vw beetle dune which I was going to sell before I bought my coast, so glad I didn’t…I use them both equally, the car get driven through the week then the wee camper at the weekend…it’s just great to stick the bikes on the back or go out somewhere to run or walk and take your lunch…then obviously during the better weather a few days away here and there is an absolute luxury.
If you can afford a wee car, I would keep the Cali

No need for a grinder; We use a motorcyle chain, but its very heavy!

If you are skilled enough it really doesn't matter what lock you use.

Most manufacturers locks are useless but Masterlocks specifically are basically laughed at on this channel.

Most manufacturers locks are useless but Masterlocks specifically are basically laughed at on this channel.
That’s why I take my folder day to day and just keep it with me.

Wow that’s pretty scary!

If you're not using it then selling it wouldn't be a bad thing to do.
Sell it but buy something completely different, not van type.
Like a Jag convertible or an MGB gt and head off into the sunset with a
picnic, bottle of bubbly and a cosy b&b booked.
Good luck :thumb

Back