Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bye bye VW

I like posting my parkup travel/adventures on here and not sure how a little jimny trips would go down on Cali forum.
Have asked kev if he can do other van section on here for all us ex cali owner:talktothehand
I for one would enjoy those posts. I did a lot overlanding in my younger years and this has translated into my Cali set up. It might be overkill for the New Forest but as yet I don’t have a cottage in the Cairngorms! For me 'car' camping is all about being outdoors as much as possible and small go anywhere vehicles 'enable' that better than anything - I’ll look forward to your posts.

I for one would enjoy those posts. I did a lot overlanding in my younger years and this has translated into my Cali set up. It might be overkill for the New Forest but as yet I don’t have a cottage in the Cairngorms! For me 'car' camping is all about being outdoors as much as possible and small go anywhere vehicles 'enable' that better than anything - I’ll look forward to your posts.
New forest is where I’m from. Love the camping in the forest sites.
Started off camping with a Nissan narava pickup and tent. Then came my first self build VW t5 a couple of calis and jokers now gone full circle.
Just started kitting it out, will have a normal little tent. When I finally pop down south will grab my old drive awning for campsites in new forest.
I’m sure I’ll miss the joker especially in the rain/cold, but not the issues it had.IMG_4387.jpegIMG_1189.jpeg

Started off camping with a Nissan narava pickup and tent. Then came my first self build VW t5 a couple of calis and jokers now gone full circle.
Just started kitting it out, will have a normal little tent. When I finally pop down south will grab my old drive awning for campsites in new forest.
I’m sure I’ll miss the joker especially in the rain/cold, but not the issues it had.View attachment 110947View attachment 110948
Enjoy your camping in your new outfit, such a lovely area. I’ve been contemplating a Joker for those cold/rainy days but interesting you had a few issues, would really appreciate any insight into what was problematic

First van silver had 3 1/2yrs was amazing, was 2nd hand when I bought it too.
The 2nd was a new build built during covid took a very long time to come, and had major issues.
Westy dealer was great though just bad luck I guess, had hope to keep that copper one for ages 10yrs plus was the plan but could live with it after issues.
Hasn’t put me off would get another joker if I want full on camping/living in a van again
IMG_8754.jpegIMG_9935.jpeg

Love the Jimny, was always my choice of rental anywhere abroad for 20 years with the kids.
Reminds me of when I drove a tiny van, think it was a Suzuki, for John Smallman. Delivering the machine tools around West Midlands at 18.
It was like a go-cart!

I’m sure I’ll miss the joker especially in the rain/cold, but not the issues it had.View attachment 110947View attachment 110948

That body shape affords a surprising amount of room! I suspect you will miss the Joker/VW most on the commute between the Cairngorms and the Forest?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First van silver had 3 1/2yrs was amazing, was 2nd hand when I bought it too.
The 2nd was a new build built during covid took a very long time to come, and had major issues.
Westy dealer was great though just bad luck I guess, had hope to keep that copper one for ages 10yrs plus was the plan but could live with it after issues.
Hasn’t put me off would get another joker if I want full on camping/living in a van again
Thanks, shame you had so many issues with the copper one. Lovely colour

Enjoy the Jimmy and hopefully the forum will allow a section for previous owners ‘alternative options / past and future’. I really enjoy the posts on alternatives and as we have also looked at Jokers and Hymers it’s pretty useful info for current Calli owners.

May get a roof tent but restricted on weight as it’s between 30kg-50kg on a jimny for stability issues.
Would have to be oex lightest I’ve seen at 37kg or Frontrunner 43kg there’s a great forum page thing for them, called bigjimny (geordie jimny camping ) he’s tried pretty much every set up for camping has youtube channel too.
I quite like this set up, our local dealer has one on display, it's reassuringly expensive (approx £5k for the tent) but 56kg looks pretty good for a hardshell roof tent with a decent floor area.
A set of winter tyres with 4 wheel drive for grip, optional lifting front axle improves ground clearance, tempting at not too dissimilar price to a 4motion Ocean.

IMG_0838.jpegIMG_0840.jpeg

I quite like this set up, our local dealer has one on display, it's reassuringly expensive (approx £5k for the tent) but 56kg looks pretty good for a hardshell roof tent with a decent floor area.
A set of winter tyres with 4 wheel drive for grip, optional lifting front axle improves ground clearance, tempting at not too dissimilar price to a 4motion Ocean.

View attachment 110989View attachment 110990
See lots of sports cars doing ne250 and nc500 still waiting to see one with a roof tent!!! Think they all stay in posh hotels.
Undecided on a roof tent at mo

Enjoy the Jimmy and hopefully the forum will allow a section for previous owners ‘alternative options / past and future’. I really enjoy the posts on alternatives and as we have also looked at Jokers and Hymers it’s pretty useful info for current Calli owners.

Good section title (The Alternatives) I like that…

Just seen the twisted jimny on autotrader 49500 and description says starting from and it is plus vat.
So their bottom of the range one is the price of pretty much 3 new jimny. :eek:
I know they do amazing things but who buys themIMG_4412.pngIMG_4413.png

165bhp in one of those would be terrifying!

I just wanted to add +1 for 'Geordie Jimny' YouTube channel - one of my favourites.

Not sure Zeb is that pleased with losing the luxury of the whole back bench of the kombi/joker/cali set up!
Congrats with your new toy...will you enhance it with a poptop? ;-)
I am sure Zeb is not pleased with it! Bumpy rides without any luxury! How dare you ;-)
Keep posting!

I've also recently swapped the VW Cali for a 4x4 Ducato ex Swiss post van. Just about finished turning it into a camper.

There's just that much more room to get the toys in... :)

Congrats with your new toy...will you enhance it with a poptop? ;-)
I am sure Zeb is not pleased with it! Bumpy rides without any luxury! How dare you ;-)
Keep posting!
He’s made himself at home on the front seat and likes the views!
Think he’s pleased I’ve slowed down as that 204 kombi was to fast for me (was becoming a local loon).IMG_4419.jpeg

Love the Jimmy, always fancied one.
Drove the full length of snow roads Thurs visiting family 160miles (round trip) very enjoyable, it’s like driving my old 110hardtop just a bit more refined. Even looking out the windscreen you think you’re in a Landy, much bigger vehicle.
Definitely a marmite vehicle (lucky I love marmite :thumb ).
Still running it in so couldn’t rev the guts out of it going up the lecht/Glenshee did struggle.
Getting 44mpg which was a surprise as expecting a lot lower from what I heard from other owners.
Landrover definitely missed a trick when making that new version.

I’m not comparing the jimny to a vw t/cali as it’s something completely different and you just wouldn’t!

So Cali kev has created a section for us traitors.

I’ve kicked it off with my jimny project.
Hoping the likes of soulstyledevon, and the hymer owner start a thread.
Would be good to see a Sven and joker one going too.

Back