Cable hanging below

A

AlanC

Traveling
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
While fitting side bars to our SE today, I took off the left side rear splash cover and discovered a cable with some sort of connector on the end tucked up loose behind it just ahead of the left rear wheel.

Looks a like a temp sensor at a guess. I have traced the cable disappearing up beside the drain pipe for the waste tank, presumably to underneath the fridge.

I want to refit it to where ever it should be before I put back the slash cover, but can't see where it should go.

Incidentally, there are some crimp connectors part way up the cable which would suggest it has been repaired in the past, possibly at a body shop.

Any one have any idea what this is and where it should be fitted?

Alan

As in 'Beam me up Scotty'?

Haha no, as in back to the future. Sorry, just being silly, not much help for your original question!

No, I confused the genres cos I had just watched Simon Pegg being a young Scotty.
Always fancied a DeLorean though.

Have cable tied the offending bit to the drain pipe for the time being. Perhaps SMG will be able to shed some light on this mystery part on Monday.

Alan

Hi Alan,

I have the same cable and plug on my Cali which seems to go no where. :?

Even SMG did not know what it is was for when they had my Cali on the ramp. So i guess it may be just a unused part of the wiring loom, that may only used for another T5 option. But what would be fitted by the rear N/S wheel I do not know ? :crazy

John

Stu said:
Did you take a picture?

Yes I did. Haven't done this before, so I hope it works.
Attached are 4.

The part number on the side is:-
VW Audi
1J0973702
<PBT>
FEP 2101

[album]1302[/album][album]1301[/album][album]1300[/album][album]1299[/album]

Looks like it has been mounted somewhere in the past, as a bit of the plastic has broken off.
Any suggestions very much appreciated.

I think it is a temperature sensor although at the moment I can't think why it is there. See what you mean about the repair.

I can see that plug on the kitchen wiring harness (See Pic Item 14)

Kitchen.PNG

Thanks Stu,

That is very useful.

Now all I need to do is work out where it should be mounted.

Thanks for your help.

Alan

It's possible it's used by the fridge to measure outside air temp.

I have seen those type of sensor before, mounted simply by pushing through a hole in a small bracket, behind the front bumper of Golf's & Octavia's.

So it might be that you are just looking for a hole to push it in to within reach of the length of the wire you have.

Thought of that but could only find holes in the chassis which are too big.

I think I will need to take of the Splash Cover off again and spend more time on my back poking around. The next sunny Sunday probably, though not next week as I have a conference I have to go to.

Thanks for the help so far. Will keep you posted if I find a solution.

Alan

Why cannot it be just a spare cable that is not used on the cali, why all the fuss if it does not affect the cali? have you tried typing into google the part number?

It's not a spare cable John, it has something plugged into it which we believe is a temp sensor.

The part number I quoted is actually for the two pin plug socket, which is used all over the VW range and connected to the end of the cable. The Temp Sensor is plugged into that, also used on other vehicles, but I don't know the part number.

I am guessing that this sensor is the one that supplies the data from the control panel temp display. I suspect the temp display on the dash board MFD is fed data from a sensor somewhere around the front radiator grill.

I am hoping there is a small bracket somewhere behind the left sill which is designed for this sensor. Fingers crossed.

Alan

Back